Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:41 PM

563 posts, read 929,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That's correct (though like time, they exist in a real way also) but it's like language, logic or anything else we use to describe, discuss or represent real things. The concepts are ours but the things we apply them to are real - they exist independently of us. Therefore if we have two rocks and way apply the numeral '3' we are wrong. Therefore mathematics must be correct. If we say two apples, the rocks are still rocks but our wording was incorrect and if we see a box and we don't know what's in it we should say we don't. That's correct reasoning. If we said two rocks because we can't prove there aren't two rocks in there, that is not good reasoning. So all that stuff is valid or not and just because it's done by humans doesn't mean that there is no validity or invalidity about it.
Yes, the things being counted are real, but they cannot be counted for infinity in reality. In other words, we can always say "+1" to any number, but not to rocks. There is obviously not an infinite number of anything real (actually in the universe as we know it). True infinity can only be one.

Last edited by WonderingWanderer; 12-22-2010 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 01:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
If there was no one around to hear the big bang, was it really a big bang?

Old 12-22-2010, 01:47 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That's correct (though like time, they exist in a real way also) but it's like language, logic or anything else we use to describe, discuss or represent real things. The concepts are ours but the things we apply them to are real - they exist independently of us. Therefore if we have two rocks and way apply the numeral '3' we are wrong. Therefore mathematics must be correct. If we say two apples, the rocks are still rocks but our wording was incorrect and if we see a box and we don't know what's in it we should say we don't. That's correct reasoning. If we said two rocks because we can't prove there aren't two rocks in there, that is not good reasoning. So all that stuff is valid or not and just because it's done by humans doesn't mean that there is no validity or invalidity about it.
And thusly would speak all the logically, mathematically, philosophically and conceptually challenged Zarathrustas of the world! Mathematics is an entirely artificial rubric within our minds based on our sensory level of perception and experiencing of the world in ways that "can be made discrete and measured." That does not mean the world is therefore "discrete" and aggregated into the measured "quantities" of our sensory experience. Nor do the rules of mathematics in any way reveal the rules of reality. Our ability to mimic and model outcomes of the actual processes of reality by using our "measured" approximations within the rules of our artificial mathematics reveals NOTHING about the reality . . . only about the adequacy of our tool for predictions.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaBoy View Post
So, before space, before time, there was...nothing.

There's still nothing. Nothing exists. And there's nowhere for it to exist in.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:38 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post
Here's my thought process; Existence is in three forms; impossible, possible, and essential. If you know of a fourth option, I'm open to learning. Impossible means under no circumstance can it exist. Possible is the old cause / effect deal. If it can be discerned as having a beginning, then it falls into the possible category. Essential means it has to exist. Everything in this universe is possible - doesn't have to be here, but it is for one reason or another. Always caused by something before it. Subject to time, space, size, dimension, a start point, etc. If you were to back up in creation and go, go, go back, until you reach a start point, I call it "A", and then just think about it logically. "A" cannot create "A". It has to be something infinite to bring "A" into existence, something unbound by the laws of the universe as we know it. Something that does not rely upon "A" to exist itself. An essential existence. Whatever you call that; be it God, gods, Jesus, Allah, whatever, I have no idea or explanation. Maybe the old, "I am that I am" is the best way to put it. I simply think of it as my creator. But this side of eternity, there's no way for one to know for sure.
I agree with the thought process, but I don't think it ends anywhere different then where it starts. It still an admission that something happened and we have very little idea why. If you add God into the equation, it just creates an extra step of asking, "well okay, how did HE get here?"

Old 12-22-2010, 05:16 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
"What caused the Big Bang!"

I'll bet it was God's Mother-in-law. She came to visit, became angry, started kicking and throwing things around and shouting hysterically. Before god knew it the whole place blew up.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I agree with the thought process, but I don't think it ends anywhere different then where it starts. It still an admission that something happened and we have very little idea why. If you add God into the equation, it just creates an extra step of asking, "well okay, how did HE get here?"
Yeah, that's beyond me. It's a big leap from an unknown "something" creator to God as depicted in the holy books of religion.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There's still nothing. Nothing exists. And there's nowhere for it to exist in.
We can't imagine "nothing", because the instant we do, then it's "something."

Old 12-22-2010, 10:33 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If there was no one around to hear the big bang, was it really a big bang?
I'm not sure. What is the sound of one big banging?

Oh wait...never mind...

Old 12-22-2010, 11:59 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
"What caused the Big Bang!"

I'll bet it was God's Mother-in-law. She came to visit, became angry, started kicking and throwing things around and shouting hysterically. Before god knew it the whole place blew up.
I knew it - all of existence is merely an episode in a huge soap opera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality