Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:52 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,962,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
That's wonderful that that's your experience. But it doesn't discount other people's. Maybe you live in a pocket of the South that's slightly less religious and I live in a pocket that's slightly more. Or maybe I bring out people's religious attitudes more than you do because of my appearance. In fact I'd be willing to bet that's the reason in my case. But I can honestly tell you people come up to me to talk about Jesus EVERY DAY. Even when I don't leave my house. I had several emails from people I met or know land in my inbox relating to the Bible/Jesus today. I am deaf-blind and they just feel the need to pour out their heart and soul, religious theology and all, to me on a daily basis. Your experience is valid and so is mine. Having a different experience doesn't necessarily amount to ignorance.
Perhaps some people's compassion for your condition leads them to believe that they need to help you in some way. I don't discount that. However, I am extremely well travelled in the United States, and in my region in particular, and can assure you that my experience is not related to any sort of "pocket". The truth is, many people have a view of the south that is not based on reality. It is similar to any generalization. It is based on an idea, whether archaic or contemporary, that has been sensationalized by some, with a general buy in by all. Another obvious example that our society is no longer driven by reality, but by extremes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Very interesting that Georgia has both Rome and Athens.

I like Georgia from what I have seen, particularly around Savannah.

Despite the religiosity of the South, (which I dislike) there's a lot of other stuff about the culture that I really do enjoy. That's doubly true for Georgia.
Don't stop there. We plagiarize all the time.

Sparta, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-23-2010, 09:57 PM

289 posts, read 311,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Never once have I been asked "what church I go to". Never once has my religion or lack thereof come up in daily conversation with strangers. Never once have I been ostracized from any social gathering, and never once has anyone imposed their religion on me.
Wish I could say the same as you. Unfortunately, my experience has been very much the opposite. (For the record, I do not live in Georgia, though.)

Quote:
Never once have I been asked "what church I go to".
When we moved here 2.5 years ago, as I've mentioned in an older thread, this was THE very first question we were asked when we met our neighbors for the first time. We were barely done introducing ourselves and all that, and Bam! with the "What ward do you belong to?". It was a bit disconcerting, to be honest.

Quote:
Never once has my religion or lack thereof come up in daily conversation with strangers.
Has for us, on at least a half dozen occasions that I can reasonably recall. It's really pretty annoying because then they goggle at us like we're aliens from outer space when we say we're not christians.

Quote:
Never once have I been ostracized from any social gathering
Again, I'm sorry that I can't say the same. Not to mention, all our neighbors pretty much pretend we don't exist at this point, and don't allow their children to play with our son.

Quote:
and never once has anyone imposed their religion on me
For me, there sure have been an awful lot who have tried and/or wanted to. At least 1-2 times a month. And that's just the door-knockers. I've had people try to "share" their religion with me while I was walking down the sidewalk a few blocks from my house. Just randomly. There's also the aforementioned neighbors, who also tried.

I know the thread was about the South specifically, but I thought I'd just share that even outside the South it's possible to find that kind of behavior. I've even lived in the "South" (Oklahoma), and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it has been here.

(For the record, I live in SE Idaho)

Old 12-23-2010, 09:57 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,472,340 times
Quote:
Perhaps some people's compassion for your condition leads them to believe that they need to help you in some way. I don't discount that. However, I am extremely well travelled in the United States, and in my region in particular, and can assure you that my experience is not related to any sort of "pocket". The truth is, many people have a view of the south that is not based on reality. It is similar to any generalization. It is based on an idea, whether archaic or contemporary, that has been sensationalized by some, with a general buy in by all. Another obvious example that our society is no longer driven by reality, but by extremes.
I agree that a lot of people have ideas and stereotypes about the South that aren't necessarily true. But a lot of people that post in threads are people living IN the South, speaking based on their daily experiences. Sometimes stereotypes are a result of truths. For example, it's a stereotype that black people eat fried chicken and collard greens, but I'm in a black household, and guess what we eat--fried chicken and collard greens. It's not the only thing we eat, but we do eat it often. Just because it's a stereotype doesn't mean I'm going to go out of my way not to mention it. Even though it's a stereotype that the South is overzealous Christian as a whole, it's still a fact that many individuals have very real experiences of being preached to or judged by self-identified Christians. They shouldn't be hushed from recounting their experiences just because it happens to line up with a stereotype.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyfor View Post
Wish I could say the same as you. Unfortunately, my experience has been very much the opposite. (For the record, I do not live in Georgia, though.)

When we moved here 2.5 years ago, as I've mentioned in an older thread, this was THE very first question we were asked when we met our neighbors for the first time. We were barely done introducing ourselves and all that, and Bam! with the "What ward do you belong to?". It was a bit disconcerting, to be honest.

Has for us, on at least a half dozen occasions that I can reasonably recall. It's really pretty annoying because then they goggle at us like we're aliens from outer space when we say we're not christians.

Again, I'm sorry that I can't say the same. Not to mention, all our neighbors pretty much pretend we don't exist at this point, and don't allow their children to play with our son.

For me, there sure have been an awful lot who have tried and/or wanted to. At least 1-2 times a month. And that's just the door-knockers. I've had people try to "share" their religion with me while I was walking down the sidewalk a few blocks from my house. Just randomly. There's also the aforementioned neighbors, who also tried.

I know the thread was about the South specifically, but I thought I'd just share that even outside the South it's possible to find that kind of behavior. I've even lived in the "South" (Oklahoma), and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it has been here.

(For the record, I live in SE Idaho)
Yeah, well, everyone knows that people in Idaho are insanely religious.

Ok, tongue in cheek. That sounds annoying to me too.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I agree that a lot of people have ideas and stereotypes about the South that aren't necessarily true. But a lot of people that post in threads are people living IN the South, speaking based on their daily experiences. Sometimes stereotypes are a result of truths. For example, it's a stereotype that black people eat fried chicken and collard greens, but I'm in a black household, and guess what we eat--fried chicken and collard greens. It's not the only thing we eat, but we do eat it often. Just because it's a stereotype doesn't mean I'm going to go out of my way not to mention it. Even though it's a stereotype that the South is overzealous Christian as a whole, it's still a fact that many individuals have very real experiences of being preached to or judged by self-identified Christians. They shouldn't be hushed from recounting their experiences just because it happens to line up with a stereotype.
Well, I'm not black and I do love fried chicken and collard greens. My point is that it all gets blown WAY out of proportion. It is not difficult in the south to live your life without any interference from the religious at all. I am active in my community's bar and music scene, an avid outdoorsman and river rat, a business owner and a member of the local Chamber of Commerce. My theological viewpoint is simply never a topic of conversation. In my experience, which I'm sure you will agree is valid, most of those who complain about any sort of religious interference are either hypersensitive, or have some sort of bone to pick. Usually both.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:17 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,472,340 times
Quote:
Well, I'm not black and I do love fried chicken and collard greens. My point is that it all gets blown WAY out of proportion. It is not difficult in the south to live your life without any interference from the religious at all. I am active in my community's bar and music scene, an avid outdoorsman and river rat, a business owner and a member of the local Chamber of Commerce. My theological viewpoint is simply never a topic of conversation. In my experience, which I'm sure you will agree is valid, most of those who complain about any sort of religious interference are either hypersensitive, or have some sort of bone to pick. Usually both.
I'm just amazed you have never been asked what church you go to or what kind of Christian you are, etc. I get those questions so often it's impossible for me to imagine living here without being asked that. It happens to my sighted-hearing wife and roommate too, so I know it's not just a deaf-blind thing either. I have a friend who lives in Rome, GA. He says gets asked what church he goes to all the time too. I have to wonder if maybe it's the social circle you're in? The people you gravitate towards? I don't know. But hey, I'd love to find a crowd of people that didn't want to talk religion all the time!

Old 12-23-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I'm just amazed you have never been asked what church you go to or what kind of Christian you are, etc. I get those questions so often it's impossible for me to imagine living here without being asked that. It happens to my sighted-hearing wife and roommate too, so I know it's not just a deaf-blind thing either. I have a friend who lives in Rome, GA. He says gets asked what church he goes to all the time too. I have to wonder if maybe it's the social circle you're in? The people you gravitate towards? I don't know. But hey, I'd love to find a crowd of people that didn't want to talk religion all the time!
Introduce me to your friend in Rome. We are a welcoming group.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:34 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,551,185 times
Quote:
I hate to think how many times when first meeting someone one of the first couple of questions is "where do you go to church?"

Old 12-24-2010, 05:21 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,516,931 times
Quote:
And again, I agree. I know the South isn't 100% Christian, and I also know that everywhere else isn't 0% Christian. I never meant to imply that.
We are beginning to understand one another -- a major step forward. Change your words to say "100% fundamentalist Christian" and you're directly on point.

Quote:
Even though this thread uses Christianity in the South as the example, I think there is a larger theme at play here. Everyone is subject to indoctrination of one kind or another, to different degrees. The content varies from state to state, country to country, and continent to continent, but we are all subjected to some sort of social and psychological conditioning as children. I think it's quite impressive when anyone from any cultural context frees themselves of social conditioning they've been subjected to, particularly when it entails any sort of sacrifice (usually social and emotional, though sometimes even physical).
That was my point exactly.

==========================================

Here is why I reacted so strongly to the earlier posts. Having been born in the South, and raised in many areas of the South, I have a slight Southern accent. I cannot even begin to estimate the number of times that, during my travels throughout these United States, locals who heard the South in my voice made SWEEPING assumptions about me. Dumb, hick, naive, stupid, prejudiced, redneck -- well, you get the picture. And in nearly every case, the moment these stereotypes were activated, I was patronized, talked down to, and so forth.

This is not aimed at you, my friend, but at others who may not yet have realized it. Contrary to popular opinion, most people from the South are NOT - repeat, NOT - characters from The Dukes of Hazzard, nor from The Andy Griffith Show, Mayberry RFD, Evening Shade or Designing Women.

The same goes for other stereotypes of the South, including those in the religious area. In fact, if people like Martin Luther King, Malcolm X and Russell Means are to be believed, there is AT LEAST AS MUCH (perhaps more) prejudice, discrimination, racism and other forms of bigotry (including religious bigotry) in the East, Midwest and other parts of the country as one could ever find in the South.

[Getting down from soap-box, kicking it into the corner.]

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 12-24-2010 at 05:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality