Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 02:31 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,706,205 times

Advertisements

I love this stuff. National Geographic isn't afraid to tell it like it is.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:49 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,947,896 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned reference

The mountains of verifiable evidence for the rather simple mechanisms of Evolution are so far above the levels and quality of evidence 'agin it' that it's patently laughable. And yet, hard-line Creationists persist in their ardent denials, especially those who just come out and naively blat...

"No! It's all just a fantasy, a "theory"!"

Or, even funnier, when they drag out one sitch where NatGeo, in all of it's >>100 yr history, publishes something that turns out to be partially fraudulent (like the date on that northern Chinese desert fossil; the rest of the info there was in fact verified and valid...), then well of course, everything NatGeo (or ditto, Scientific American) ever did, all of it, is invalidated. Not to mention (Ssshhhh!!...) that it's always either their own staff, or a scientist, who uncovers the fraud or mistake.

True intellectual honesty and scientific integrity on display, but let's ignore that too.

But well... if that's all yah got in the bag, then hey; go for it. I prefer more substantive stuff myself.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-02-2011 at 04:13 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 04:43 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,595,742 times
There will be a crescendo of denial from the naysayers, the desperation is palpable, and the search is on for anything and everything to deny facts is most assuredly on.

Standby for volumes of misrepresented information since evolution deniers are not always honest in representing the identity of the people they quote.

Examples:
  • "Dr. Etheridge, world-famous paleontologist of the British Museum is commonly quoted by evolution deniers but turns out to have been an obscure nineteenth century figure who was an assistant at the British Museum and was never famous at all.
  • Francis Hitching is sometimes represented as being a scientist by antievolutionist sources that quote him -- a "well-known evolutionist" as one antievolutionist put it -- when he was really a sensationalistic television script writer who was neither a scientist nor had scientific training.
Which in summation amounts to telling lies to support the unsupportable untruth, so let us not worry about the closed eyes or ears, the closed minds are the danger.
Quotations and Misquotations

or just flat denial based on nothing will be offered as proof.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:15 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,947,896 times
Your Quotations and Misquotations link is absolutely fascinating, Asheville.

Hmmm. I wonder if Creationist denialist types would actually pause to read it. Else, if I were them and learned that my cohorts were lying through their teeth, I'd be a bit embarrassed to be so closely linked to such a rampant and erroneous source of purposeful prevarication....

This of course assumes they have a strong sense of positive, personal ethics and integrity, even if it might be problematic to their larger spiritual cause.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:13 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,115,235 times
I like how they put "Was Darwin Wrong? on the cover in big red letters. Must have got all the creationist real excited there for a few moments.....till they opened up the magazine, that is.

They probably treated it as if it were on fire after reading the first page on the inside. Hot potato!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,706,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
I like how they put "Was Darwin Wrong? on the cover in big red letters. Must have got all the creationist real excited there for a few moments.....till they opened up the magazine, that is.

They probably treated it as if it were on fire after reading the first page on the inside. Hot potato!
Yeah, NG pretty much just trolled evolution-naysayers.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 AM

50,108 posts, read 20,864,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post

indeed! The third rule of sales is 'Let 'em find out it wasn't what they thought it was - but only after they've paid for it'.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:52 AM

8,002 posts, read 12,314,077 times
closed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality