Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 02:14 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times

Advertisements

If we even had a religion that promoted the basic concepts of freedom, choices, and basic moral codes you might have a religion GOD might accept.
Don't murder, steal, lie or cheat other individuals of their life, property and own discretion.

What else could GOD ask for... I see no reason to pray, worship, go to church but the idea that your life is your right, you have no right to take others and your kindness to others is important. Aside from the message of Jesus of being kind to others all these other churches and religions would disappear. They have all have these rules, laws, and promote the idea that the world is coming to an end.
OK well if you were not killing and murdering people and stealing from your neighborhood what are you worried about.
Let the end come it might clean up the crazy people who can't seem to follow basic human rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 02:54 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
If we even had a religion that promoted the basic concepts of freedom, choices, and basic moral codes you might have a religion GOD might accept.
Don't murder, steal, lie or cheat other individuals of their life, property and own discretion.

What else could GOD ask for... I see no reason to pray, worship, go to church but the idea that your life is your right, you have no right to take others and your kindness to others is important. Aside from the message of Jesus of being kind to others all these other churches and religions would disappear. They have all have these rules, laws, and promote the idea that the world is coming to an end.
OK well if you were not killing and murdering people and stealing from your neighborhood what are you worried about.
Let the end come it might clean up the crazy people who can't seem to follow basic human rights.

You might be on to something there. Then again, that makes too much sense. And yes I am Christian. Hey, I'm not perfect, (who is?) but I try to do the best that I can, and try to treat others with decency, even though sometimes it isn't returned.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:15 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,467 times
well what if you were something before you entered the material universes,you were pure spirit,you where not effected bye material nature and had no karma on you sleaves,now this pure energy that you were is well forgotton about,infact your so entangled in material nature that youve tottaly forgotten your position with god and the fact that you are not a temporary material body but an eternal spiritual entity,

now you go about your buisness everyday of the week,your a good person,you dont rob,lie,cheat on your wife,or kill anyone,and your karma is kept on a nice level,although eatin meat is considered to have karma effects aswell as all material pleasures,you see its this that binds to material nature,to the body,we enjoy on this level and we because of our desires for material pleasure we will take birth again on the temporary plane of existence.

the point im trying to make is that although having good morals is an essential thing for society it dosent nescesseraly liberate one from material existence,their is a dormant energy in the soul of every living entity,it called Love of God and unless one knows how to to re-establish this then one will be stuck on the material plane,although good actions bring good karma,and bad brings bad,all karma good or bad is lived out on the material plane,only when we free ourselves from material desires and learns to live not for the body but for the soul,and ultimatly the Supreme soul,then we can free ourselves from this bondage,that is the purpose of bhagavad gita,it is the instruction and science of self realization,to free onself and control the mind and senses so we can come in contact with not only our own souls but the supreme soul,and bye purifieng the mind and senses and dedicate ourselves to the Supreme,we can leave this cosmos and enter eternity,with full transcendental bliss and knowledge

Old 01-06-2011, 03:03 PM

43 posts, read 46,844 times
Let me try to go through each of the statements in the original post.

"If we even had a religion that promoted the basic concepts of freedom, choices, and basic moral codes you might have a religion GOD might accept."

It seems that every religion is attempting a basic moral code, and some not so basic. Is there a specific set of ideas you find lacking in religious moral codes?

As far as choice and freedom, most religions assume or assert at least some free will, with only a minority assuming predetermination. Are you talking about that or something else?

"I see no reason to pray, worship, go to church..."

All three of these are usually asserted as an attempt to be closer to God, and the implicit assumption is that this is a good thing in one way or another. The role of all three differs in each religion.

In the case of my own belief, prayer is not included, nor worship (I'm an atheist, so who would I direct these to?), but church is quite a big part of my life. As a Unitarian Universalist, I see the act of going to services as a way of continually reminding me to keep true to my ideals, and as a place to connect to others to help explore our beliefs and coordinate our social works plans.

That last part, the social works part, is the more objectively important part, because it has the most tangible good connected to it.
As an aside, you use the handle "LibertyandJusticeforAll", which is from the Pledge of Allegiance, which was itself written in a church by a Baptist minister.

"Aside from the message of Jesus of being kind to others all these other churches and religions would disappear."

Well that's a little confusing, considering most religions have nothing to do with Jesus and still preach kindness. Are you saying that without kindness religion would disappear? Seeing as some people don't include a whole lot of kindness in their beliefs, I tend to think you'd just have the better part of religion disappear.

" They have all have these rules, laws, and promote the idea that the world is coming to an end."

Some of those rules promote the good things you talked about earlier, and most are at least thought to by those that adhere to them.
Plenty of religions don't have anything to say about the world ending.

"OK well if you were not killing and murdering people and stealing from your neighborhood what are you worried about."

I think we can set our sights a bit higher then that can't we?

"Let the end come it might clean up the crazy people who can't seem to follow basic human rights."

You seem to not have a particular religious belief, but still belief in apocalypse. Why?
Besides, I see no reason we can't help some of those "crazy people", and there's no reason to wish death on the rest. That's hardly kind.

You may want to shop around a bit more when it comes to religion. You may find one that doesn't have the things that irritate you but does speak to your values.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:33 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post

I agree totally. I just ask whether one can't have just such a worldview (if not such a world) without the religious trappings.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:58 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
For a brief second I almost wondered if this was about the "Religion of Humanity", which is a Comtean Positivist thing.

Religion of Humanity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality