Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:12 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,559,463 times

Advertisements

I have a question for the religious of you out there.

I will tell you up front that I have no religion or religious beliefs, but what I am about to ask has baffled me about those that do.

As I understand it, the "Golden Rule", do unto others and so on, applies to basically all religions.

If this is the case, why do the majority of religious belief systems seem to violate it so often?

I am not trolling or trying to start a fight, just asking for clarificaion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 10:22 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,976 times
Because most religions feel it is there duty to spread the word of God and not pay attention to what their own bible says. Most Christians who go out and try to make martyrs of themselves do it because they feel it is right. Even though if they read the bible they would see that the only person in their religion that is allowed to cast judgement is God or Jesus. They should read John 8:7. I doesn't matter what version of the bible, it says the same thing. Don't judge others unless you are righteous and without sin.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,897,673 times
Because the 'Golden Rule' only applies to people we consider to be in the same group as us.

If someone is outside our group, we see them as competitors. We are more likely to steal from them and harm them if we consider them to be a potential threat.

This is natural human behavior, and this type of behavior has been observed among chimpanzees as well.

I'm sure you can think of countless examples of this.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:24 AM

33,555 posts, read 37,155,629 times
I'm not buyin' what you're sellin'....We are not chimpanzees, nor does that behavior describe how anyone in my family or circle of friends behave....You might want to be a bit more selective of the folks you chum around with....Just a thought.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:33 AM

So in some sense it appears to be a case with the various religions of "Do as I say, not as I do"?

How can the religious justify this type of behavior while it is direct violation of basic Tennant's? Just because one version feels that it is the only correct one and must cause others to accept this? Once again, direct violation of its own teachings.

I feel that this "Golden Rule" is a reasonable life code but seems to be ignored at will.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
nor does that behavior describe how anyone in my family or circle of friends behave
I think it describes your behavior perfectly.

Within your group, you treat each other by the Golden Rule.

However, your group does not treat outsiders very nicely. If someone comes into your country against your will, you call them illegal and you pay your law enforcement to throw them out.

You elect leaders to negotiate trade deals with other countries that let you buy goods at Kohls for rock-bottom prices while the workers in those countries are paid very little for their labor. If you applied the Golden Rule in this situation, you would pay more for your clothes so the workers in other countries would have a standard of living like you do.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
I feel that this "Golden Rule" is a reasonable life code but seems to be ignored at will.
The reason it is ignored at times is because it is not a reasonable life code for all situations.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:06 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,236,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
I have a question for the religious of you out there.

I will tell you up front that I have no religion or religious beliefs, but what I am about to ask has baffled me about those that do.

As I understand it, the "Golden Rule", do unto others and so on, applies to basically all religions.

If this is the case, why do the majority of religious belief systems seem to violate it so often?

I am not trolling or trying to start a fight, just asking for clarificaion.
it is because they say "do onto others as you would have done onto you"...but they do not mean nor do they Do it...

Now let us see why they do not nor cannot do as it was written, and said by them who say it....THe Second commandment is being broken....and if one is broken continually...all the others get broken too!

So let us revert back to what God said he made us for firstly...
Sometimes Going backwards in time and space to the begining, brings around some insight as to why the problems manifest themselves in our time line.

God said he made humankind to tend and keep the Garden with all the givens he said were Good...Genesis 9:3 speaks about and underlines certain plants!

And in that sinlessly sowing seeds...putting back what was taken in disobediance...reverses something done wrong!

And then we have the ways to become sinless in the commandments of God...tied to ACTS 3:21 and staying in the Guidelines of ACTS 10:15...surely restoring means to put it back the way it once was!
Rev 17:17...and Genesis seem to speak about a paradise...a living and teaming world of life..in good stewardship....But let us look a little further than that....God says he Gives us everything....and being like God...we should also Give!....thus the need for the IDOL (breaking the second commandment) never comes into play!

So to Give is...Do onto others as you would have done onto you...Frees you from the IDOL...which is to profit off others..rather than Give.
ANd only share with those who have the IDOL....which means the poor never Get....and in that light destitution is born....and the destitute have a right to the same gifts God has Given...but they are now no longer free!

And so theift becomes a entity in those who are destitute.
War, crime, corruption of those who have and are greedy for more...and then it goes south, and power is given those who have over those who have none.

It is coming into view....the limiting factor the IDOL now posses....it is not possible because we have not enough money.....and we cannot live with out money...and in order to make money, we need to bow to the ones with that thing...which breaks the second commandment.
and that thing is made more important than God for Life.
and all life is subjected and put under its false value system.

Isn't life presious? Isn't life a miracle?...with that gift we all know doesn't take money to make..or have...why should or why does money get imposed at all?

Now...if we start sharing everything, and making more of what was shared by God with everyone...and we remove that IDOL completely...what enemies would their be?
And if we all share the givens...and all have the same things...what crime would be needed to do in order to have?

See Jesus was saying this very thing....Do onto others as you would have done onto you.
When He kicked out the money and the money changers from his fathers house.....it is not wanted by God, nor his son....and that is why we cannot share those givens anymore...and the givens are being undermind today by big industry....subjecting all things to the false value, while polluting the very eco systems we were given to share and multiply out into the earth and beyond....so that undermines the eternity aspect, the gifts aspect, and the continuance aspect...leading to destruction....

Yep...Do onto others as you would have done onto you....a polluted planet is what is being made onto all living things.....is that what God wanted?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:23 PM

33,555 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I think it describes your behavior perfectly.

Within your group, you treat each other by the Golden Rule.

However, your group does not treat outsiders very nicely. If someone comes into your country against your will, you call them illegal and you pay your law enforcement to throw them out.

You elect leaders to negotiate trade deals with other countries that let you buy goods at Kohls for rock-bottom prices while the workers in those countries are paid very little for their labor. If you applied the Golden Rule in this situation, you would pay more for your clothes so the workers in other countries would have a standard of living like you do.
Wow...How do you know how I treat outsiders?...You don't have a clue.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
The reason it is ignored at times is because it is not a reasonable life code for all situations.
Then what do you consider a "reasonable life code"? Look out only for number one (yourself) and the heck with everyone else?

What exactly is your life code?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality