Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:32 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Oscar Wilde's aphorism: Suicide is the highest compliment you can pay society!"

My tombstone: A man standing with a big laugh on his face, with a gun pointed to his head!

Oscar Wilde was wrong....... Suicide is not the highest compliment you can pay society...... Just left anyone who is left behind............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 01:12 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
They lived. They died. So what.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:23 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
They lived. They died. So what.
We all have an effect on others, especially if we have offspring.

I like visiting places my ancestors lived and seeing their graves. I have stood where my ancestors built their house when they settled in Massachusetts in 1639 and I have visited their graves in the nearby cemetery. When we go to Ohio this summer, I want to see the grave of my ancestor who fought in the Revolutionary War and see the monument dedicated to him and the other patriots from that town.

I would enjoy these visits even more if my ancestors had left a message for me.

That's why I think it is important what we put on our tombstones.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:29 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
"Here lies Marco,
shot in the back by
a jealous husband
at the age of 98."

Old 02-25-2011, 01:58 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Well, I'm going to be creamated and have my ashes tossed at sea - but if I were to have a tombstone - maybe something like -
"Here lies Heather. She had spunk."

Old 02-25-2011, 02:35 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Just left anyone who is left behind............
I'm not following that. Did you mean to say 'ask' rather than the first 'left'?

Old 02-25-2011, 03:21 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Well, I'm going to be creamated and have my ashes tossed at sea - but if I were to have a tombstone - maybe something like -
"Here lies Heather. She had spunk."
I like that, Dewdrop!

We vacation in Maine every couple years and often stop in Ogonquit, where there is a beautiful walk called the Marginal Way. It goes for over a mile along a cliff overlooking the ocean and the waves crash against the rocks below. The walk ends in Perkins Cove, a beautiful small harbor with good places to eat.

All along the way there are benches dedicated to people who loved to visit there and have since died. My favorite is one dedicated to a lady named Marilyn Saltzman and the message below her name reads, "She loved a good lobster roll".

I case you don't know, a lobster roll is a simple but delicious sandwich made with lobster meat and is very popular in that area.

I really liked her message. To me, it means that she had learned to enjoy the simple pleasures of life - a good message for all of us.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:28 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Ouch!!!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:41 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'm not following that. Did you mean to say 'ask' rather than the first 'left'?
I meant to say just ask anyone who is left behind.......

My mind was working faster then my typing......

Sorry

I just don't see suicide as anything to ever joke about or make light of....

People who have had family members die that way are always affected by it......

Old 02-26-2011, 02:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Oscar Wilde was just being his usual outrageous self when he joked about suicide. If I ever decide to off myself, it won't be until after my mother passes (she's 90 years old). But I have no plans to do so, and wouldn't do so unless I was suffering from an incurable and painful disease. Then it would be self-euthanization.

I suppose Oscar's comment only makes sense if you consider that he was saying that if one commits suicide, it is due to the power of society to drive him to it. Since Wilde was gay long before it was at all acceptable, and rather unconventional in general, one can see where he was coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality