Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:50 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,046,591 times

Advertisements

How can those of us who either are not Christian or not religious at all have respect for those who smile to our faces yet inside see us as lost?

I wonder about this all the time.... That we are prayed for and seen as being lost yet I see goodness in others independent of what they believe or don't believe. My husband the atheist/agnostic, my oldest son who doesn't think religion is to important at this point in his life and my youngest who like me are Jewish. yet we all get along and don't judge and live our lives with mutual respect. I don't get why the world can't operate in this manner.

How you are as a person is what is the most important thing, not what you believe.

I am interested in what others think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 10:57 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,841,485 times
You mean the epistemological problem of opinion and actual knowing. This is a breeze to me because I took it up with the distinct It-being there for my separated religious Faith.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:57 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,571,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
How can those of us who either are not Christian or not religious at all have respect for those who smile to our faces yet inside see us as lost?

I wonder about this all the time.... That we are prayed for and seen as being lost yet I see goodness in others independent of what they believe or don't believe. My husband the atheist/agnostic, my oldest son who doesn't think religion is to important at this point in his life and my youngest who like me are Jewish. yet we all get along and don't judge and live our lives with mutual respect. I don't get why the world can't operate in this manner.

How you are as a person is what is the most important thing, not what you believe.

I am interested in what others think.

there is lost, and lost. A fundamentalist Christian could see me as bound for hell, but STILL respect me as an ethical person and fellow believer in G-d in THIS life. Certainly classical Calvinism accepts that some "good" people will not be saved. Thus that persons smile at me could be sincere. some might not respect me, but unless I am SURE otherwise, I will give the smiling person the benefit of the doubt.

IOW, its not my duty in life to judge others hearts. I judge their actions. If their actions to me are respectful and ethical, that is all I can ask for.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,736,330 times
Many people consider me to be "lost" for a variety of reasons, not just because of my non-Christian spirituality. I don't really mind too much, so long as they don't impose their beliefs on me. Personally, I think that most of us are somewhat lost some of the time - it's just a natural state of being. But I don't think that anyone is "eternally lost" - to be alive or conscious means there is always hope.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:28 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,621,835 times
Quote:
Short answer: we can't. And in many cases, we don't.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:19 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,625,472 times
Quote:
Isn't what we are most largely determined by what we believe?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Isn't what we are most largely determined by what we believe?

No, what I am is not determined what I believe. I came to what I believe in many ways by who I am as a person.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:15 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,994,129 times
Quote:
For some reason I thought you said HOT not LOST............

I respect other people for their faith.....sometimes in spite of their faith. Its like being considered HOT or not. I really don't care if you think I am hot or not.....it is totally irrelevant to me what you may think of my appearance. However, if you start to refer to me as skinny or chubby or ugly or in some other disrespectful manner, I will probably lose a lot of respect for you and will not consider anything you have to say worth listening to.

You are welcome to think I am lost as much as you want. But if every time I come around, you begin preaching your faith to me, I probably won't come around much. But if you think I am lost because I don't believe what you do, but don't preach to me, I will be glad to share a beer or spend time together with you. Treat me with respect and I am fine. Treat me with disrespect, even if we share beliefs, and I will disrespect you.........even if you are HOT........

Old 01-29-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
For some reason I thought you said HOT not LOST............

I respect other people for their faith.....sometimes in spite of their faith. Its like being considered HOT or not. I really don't care if you think I am hot or not.....it is totally irrelevant to me what you may think of my appearance. However, if you start to refer to me as skinny or chubby or ugly or in some other disrespectful manner, I will probably lose a lot of respect for you and will not consider anything you have to say worth listening to.

You are welcome to think I am lost as much as you want. But if every time I come around, you begin preaching your faith to me, I probably won't come around much. But if you think I am lost because I don't believe what you do, but don't preach to me, I will be glad to share a beer or spend time together with you. Treat me with respect and I am fine. Treat me with disrespect, even if we share beliefs, and I will disrespect you.........even if you are
HOT........

lol

thankyou for the wonderful input!!!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:31 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,931,515 times
Quote:

I am interested in what others think
I suppose I see it as that they merely have a different opinion of myself than I do, so it does not bother me that much. Almost all the Christians I know are wonderful people, and I have the utmost respect for them. I sense that they (most of them) as well respect my own spiritual faith, and that is all that I can ask. That they see "us" as "lost" is simply a part of their faith, and I cannot hold that against them.

Quote:
Of course. It is too bad that all the religions are so separate, and they vie against one another as to "who is right". I really see them as all worshipping the same great spirit, whether it is called God, Yahweh, Buddha, Allah, what have you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality