Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:07 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Just my two cents...alot of people have split careers, and alot of churches have no problems with the youth pastor or pastor having a full time job outside of the duties at the church. From the financial aspect, he could be making two paychecks, while gettin paid to do what he truly feels called to do. And if later on down the road, he feels that God leads him in a different direction, he will have the education to back it up with. Not in the bible but a true saying imho ...when got closes a door...he opens a window

I agree wholeheartedly! Our youth minister also works full time and honestly doesn't make a lot for all the work he does at church. But, alas, he has a wife and kids to support. They are always doing something with the kids at church and in the past 6 months, he must have led at least half a dozen kids to the Lord. He uses his vacation time and takes the kids on a camping trip every year. We have our VBS in the evenings because he and his wife are such a big part of that leadership. BTW, our youth minister just in the past year finished seminary and was ordained.

So, IMO your son definitely needs to continue his education, perhaps in both directions. As long as he is willing, God will use him. Just pray for him and ask for wisdom for both yourself and him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 09:42 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,584 times
Wow, Lifesigns.....I think your son is fortunate to have two great options to choose from....or mabye do both simultaneously, as others mentioned.

You've obviously done something right.....to have raised such a bright child w/ extraordinary abilities who also has such great moral character and love for the Lord....all rolled into one....sounds like he has alot of passion in all areas of his life.

It give me soooo much hope to know he was once a "self-absorbed" teen, as you described. I think I'm going to have one of those soon (now he's just a self-absorbed pre-teen)....

Old 07-25-2007, 10:04 PM

101 posts, read 218,705 times
Talking A boy can dream, can't he?

A boy can dream, can't he?

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/MPGroup_Index.asp?MPGID=6

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day; invest in teaching the world's children to fish, the world becomes a better place for all of us!

Luke 10:40-42 (New International Version)

40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
41 "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things,
42 but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...=42&version=31

[Hope this works this time, kindly pardon that I don't yet know how to post links here....]

Last edited by 1410OC; 07-25-2007 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: pardon, my links are still messing up

Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,894 times
He sounds like an awesome young man!! I wouldn't worry about him a bit.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:45 PM

8 posts, read 36,674 times
I think you've recieved some wise advice here. I can identify with your husband on the practical side of things, especially because he's not necessarly a believer, because we work hard to make ends meet, and struggle. I would say both your son's gifts come from God and he can use them both for His glory. It helps in any ministry to have the back up. I think if you have both bases covered it takes the pressure off the person ministering and the ministry. What I mean is if your answering the call and you don't have to struggle so much monaterily it can actually reduce burnout. A lot of our pastors are facing this these days and it's driving them right out of serving altogether. If the ministry's all you do, and I so admire people that are in full-time ministry, then if you're challenged, and the questions are posed whether you're doing God's will, whether or not you did have the calling to begin with, was it something you did that made things go wrong, etc.
I am always encouraged to hear of young people answering the call. I fear for the next generation in this already hurting world, but there is hope where there are people like your son.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:56 PM

668 posts, read 681,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Hi, my son has been a devout Christian for 2 years or so. He reads the Bible everyday, and has morals and convictions that are very strong.

I have seen him change from a "regular self-absorded" typical teenager, into an unselfish young adult.

He is active in Church, and is starting ministries to help the poor in our County, and he has, with his allowance money, is sponsoring a child.

The situation: He is gifted and has a high I.Q. Math and Science come easy for him. He has always wanted to be a Landscape Architect. Since he was 7 he designed gardens and is also an artist and has drawn out plans.

Since then, he has studied horticulture and knows every type of tree and plant, etc. He has grown orchids and very successful vegetable gardens.

He designed a backyard deck with plantings and a pond for his Grandparents on the computer.

The problem: He feels he is being called to be a Youth Pastor and wants my support. Of course, it warmed my heart to know that he is walking this walk, especially as a teen. Of course, I know that this too, can change, but he is extremely mature for his age.

I am the problem. We have always struggled financially. My dream for him was to have a career where he would earn over $40,000 to say the least, and be able to pay his bills and support a family.

Youth Pastor's salary start in the high 20's and peak out in the $40's.

I feel so ashamed at myself and Unchristian about my feelings, which are torn. I am filled with pride at his decision, and filled with anxiety, as we have no money to help him through any rough times he may have.

He had always wanted to have a nice home, a nice car, and now he says he realizes that if he can lead youth to Christ, he would be happy to live in a trailer as long as he is serving Christ.

He has asked his friends, me, his youth pastor to pray for him that God should speak to him with conviction that this is what he is being divinely called to do.

What do I do? Print out job postings and salaries comparing a Landscape Architect to a Youth Pastor, and encouraging him to get a dual degree, or a degree in something he loves that will earn him a better income, and do Youth Pastoring part time.

He feels shocked that I call myself a Christian and that I am worrying about money . . . .

Please, parents especially, help me, I know in my heart I should be overjoyed and be leading him to this calling, but as I sit looking at a pile of bills and being behind with the mortgage, I can't help but be fearful as well.

Son says, God doesn't give us a spirit of fear . . . . any thoughts or comments . . . and please, be easy on me,

One last note, my husband, who is agnostic, is very disappointed that his son has so much intelligence and is gifted in math and science, and I guess he just wanted him to use these gifts . . . My husband kills himself to support us and wanted his son to have an easier life than the one he has.

Hey, I'd be proud of him. He has a direction and wants to help others. I have lived on 24 grand a year with 3 kids, you just got to live near work, drive older cars and learn to work on them a bit. Once I had to fish in the neighborhood lake for something to add to our rice, in order to last the 7 days till payday. They ate well enough. Life is about good Karma, not money. Trust in God, he'll provide.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:54 AM

211 posts, read 985,265 times
your son should become one of those pastors that preaches in arenas and makes millions of dollars

God bless America!

Old 07-28-2007, 07:57 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times
I think everyone in here knows my stance on religion so I don't feel the need to go there. What seems important to me is that you stand by your son no matter what he chooses to do. That is, of course, as long as it is a legal respectable profession. I can understand the desire for you to want him to live in a big house, drive a nice car, and put good food on the table. That's the American dream. But, it's also the American dream to be able to have that choice and ability to do so. So, best of luck to you and your son. There's no need to label a person's success with the amount of money they make and as long as the person is happy in what they are doing than in my eyes they have succeeded. That's just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality