Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:32 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,328,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I disagree. Humans have always done many horrible things to one another in the name of religion, and it continues to this day...If you want proof just read the news.
Really, aside from political oppression give me a five examples of religion hurting others within the last year. And the war in the middle east only counts as one.

1. Middle east(only extremists)

I guarantee you that I can list far more horrible things that are done without religion being a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 06:07 PM

33,566 posts, read 37,172,616 times
What about other so-called Christians who bombed abortion clinics? There were also attacks made on gay nightclubs. Innocent people were killed and injured in the explosions. The Army of God, an underground terrorist organization active in the United States, has been responsible for a substantial amount of anti-abortion violence. In addition to numerous property crimes, the group has committed acts of kidnapping, attempted murder and murder.
Anti-abortion violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May 1, New York City: a car bomb is discovered in Times Square, New York City after smoke is seen coming from a vehicle. The bomb was ignited, but failed to detonate and was disarmed before it could cause any harm. Times Square was evacuated as a safety precaution. Faisal Shahzad pleads guilty to placing the bomb as well as 10 terrorism and weapons charges.
May 10, Jacksonville, Florida: a pipe bomb explodes while approximately 60 Muslims are praying in the mosque. The attack causes no injuries.
Oct. 29: two packages are found on separate cargo planes. Each package contains a bomb consisting of 300 to 400 grams (11-14 oz) of plastic explosives and a detonating mechanism. The bombs are discovered as a result of intelligence received from Saudi Arabia's security chief. The packages were bound from Yemen to the United States, and were discovered at en route stop-overs, one in England and one in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.
Jan. 17, Spokane, Washington: a pipe bomb is discovered along the route of the Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial march. The bomb, a "viable device" set up to spray marchers with shrapnel and to cause multiple casualties, is defused without any injuries.

Read more: Terrorist Attacks in the U.S. or Against Americans — Infoplease.com Terrorist Attacks in the U.S. or Against Americans — Infoplease.com

Hundreds dead as more religious violence hits Nigeria | World news | guardian.co.uk

BBC News | SOUTH ASIA | Religious violence spreads in Sri Lanka

Ahmadiyya Times: Religious Violence In Indonesia | VOA News

Religious Violence News - Human Rights Today

Old 03-27-2011, 07:18 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,841,643 times
Quote:
What about other so-called Christians who bombed abortion clinics? There were also attacks made on gay nightclubs. Innocent people were killed and injured in the explosions. The Army of God, an underground terrorist organization active in the United States, has been responsible for a substantial amount of anti-abortion violence. In addition to numerous property crimes, the group has committed acts of kidnapping, attempted murder and murder.

[/url]

BBC News | SOUTH ASIA | Religious violence spreads in Sri Lanka

Ahmadiyya Times: Religious Violence In Indonesia | VOA News

Religious Violence News - Human Rights Today

The unthinkable though in between the ruled application of day to day existence and the world of soldiers pushing around the justice minded human beings like ants: is there such an in between reality; or do we wake up like from a bad dream?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:03 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,328,628 times
Quote:
As you said right off the bat, so-called Christians. They claim to be Christians, but obviously are not.

Quote:
Jan. 17, Spokane, Washington: a pipe bomb is discovered along the route of the Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial march. The bomb, a "viable device" set up to spray marchers with shrapnel and to cause multiple casualties, is defused without any injuries.
Nice try. Not religious. I live in Spokane, WA. and only two blocks from where the bomb was found. NOT in any way a religious thing. The bomber was a retired soldier who was a neo-nazi.

[/quote]

Gladly, would you like me to post the hundreds of things that happen every day not in the name of religion?

I could, but I am sure you already know.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:16 PM

33,566 posts, read 37,172,616 times
Forget it...You will just use the no true Scotsman fallacy again...You are obviously in denial.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:20 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,748,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Really, aside from political oppression give me a five examples of religion hurting others within the last year. And the war in the middle east only counts as one.

1. Middle east(only extremists)

I guarantee you that I can list far more horrible things that are done without religion being a factor.
Religious persecution is widespread, report warns - CNN

U.S. Report Details World's Religious Persecution - NYTimes.com

Doug Bandow: The Scandal of International Religious Persecution

You obviously don't so much reading do you?

Old 03-27-2011, 09:34 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,648,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I do not believe religion is becoming extinct, I think it is evolving as we better understand the world/universe that we live in.
So religion is changing, is what you're saying. That means that any given explanation or story it had before, in the face of proof of something otherwise, was wrong once it's changed. Well if religious stories keep changing, that essentially defeats the purpose of believing what was accepted before, doesn't it? What was the point of belief no.1 if we find out that no.1 was incorrect, only to move on to belief no.2 before eventually finding out that that belief was wrong, and on down the line?

Earth isn't 6000 years old? Ok, religion will accept that. It was wrong.
No burning, talking bush? Ok, religion will accept that. It was wrong.
No splitting the sea? Ok, religion will accept that. It was wrong.
No Adam and Eve? Ok, religion will accept that. It was wrong.

And on and on and on...

Every step forward that religion takes in an effort to keep up with man's ever-expanding intellect, is effectually a step backwards in regards to its relevance. It's like a divine paradox.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:13 PM

63,876 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Every step forward that religion takes in an effort to keep up with man's ever-expanding intellect, is effectually a step backwards in regards to its relevance. It's like a divine paradox.
Only if you believe that our ignorant ancient ancestors were infallible in interpreting the inspirations they received. They weren't. If our advancements in knowledge about ourselves, our history, and the scientific reality cannot be used to refine our understanding of God . . . why on earth would we have been given these abilities?. We might as well have been robots stagnated at 1st century and earlier levels of understanding . . which is what religions have actually wrought to our detriment.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:45 PM

912 posts, read 827,810 times
If it wasn't for religion , all individual faith ect, would not exist.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,607,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
If it wasn't for religion , all individual faith ect, would not exist.
And if it wasn't for the difference in people's chosen, religion, we'd all think and act the same. wow, would we ever be b-o-r-i-n-g.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality