Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 02:36 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,868,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
another quote to the contrary: No man can serve two masters.

Wealth does greatly influence ones life. Once your wealthy it's very hard to ignore it, or live without it.

When I was young, all I needed was a van, apartment, and a part time job to get by. I spent my free time, meditating, reading, painting, enjoying life in general.

How I'm in my 40's with a mortgage (very modest house), income taxes, property taxes, got to keep the cars running, wardrobe expenses ect...
And I must have a job that makes so much a year to maintain this lifestyle.
No more meditating, painting, studying religion (except on the forums), life isn't as free as I once had it.

And I am not even rich compared to most Americans. But to the rest of the world? Who knows.

My possessions feel like a millstone around my neck.
I'm not sure how, but make some changes today. Don't wait. Things will never change on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 03:09 PM

564 posts, read 1,902,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I don't think there's one, but I also haven't found one that says "Take your kids to swimming lessons", "Don't be late for work", and "Pick up the dry cleaning". Still looking though...
Obviously the bible cannot cover every human event, but how we handle money and possessions seems to be something it should cover. And there are mentions of getting rid of worldly possessions in it, I'm just wondering if there's anything to the contrary.

Jazzedforhim, has come the closest, by providing a verse that shows a man should not forget God if he gains riches.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:03 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,280,641 times
Default Some scriptures about money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
Obviously the bible cannot cover every human event, but how we handle money and possessions seems to be something it should cover. And there are mentions of getting rid of worldly possessions in it, I'm just wondering if there's anything to the contrary.

Jazzedforhim, has come the closest, by providing a verse that shows a man should not forget God if he gains riches.
I can't think of any scriptures which are going to exhort us to store up riches, eufo, because I think the scripture does over and over indicate that excessive love of money can be a snare. I Timothy 6:9 "But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction." NASB

That said, I do think in the OP Jesus is addressing that man's heart rather than saying that all people in all times need to sell everything they own. There are scriptures which indicate our responsibility to handle money wisely and take care of our family. 1 Timothy 6:8 is one such verse which I think speaks to taking care of one's family (I think it actually seems to refer to needy parents) " But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith, and is worse than an unbeliever." NASB

I think the attitude God expects a believer to have towards their money is pretty well contained in the following scripture. 1 Timothy 6:17-19 "Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy. Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is life indeed." NASB

Old 07-28-2007, 06:46 PM

564 posts, read 1,902,024 times
Thanks, kaykay. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to kaykay again.

It follows along my own line of thought: If you have more than enough, then you should share. Wish more people did that.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:31 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,285,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Ok if I have to, but I'm keeping my diamonds!
...Don't ya just love a good diamond?

Old 07-29-2007, 04:20 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,837,261 times
Default Giving.... within the context of believing

God does want all to prosper. The key however is to put God first in all things an allow Him to bless your life, not putting those things in your life that you may elevate to "all important". Now ... some might think that just money or possessions are the only blessings of value.... but we know that's not true.

The Bible speaks about money over three hundred times... why?, because it is what we would put ahead of God in our lives. Tithing as an example.. the old levitical law required giving 10% of everything... and of each blessing. However under the new covenant, Jesus came to perfect the law and told not to give under compusion or obligation... but rather give from your heart (cherfully). Jesus also said he did not come to abolish the law but "perfect" the law.

In other words ... if your gonna give something to ANYONE give it from your heart and be glad you can, because it was a gift to you. You see everthing comes from the Father... and that which he gives to you blessing), he wants you to share to others... and for Christians we are to give in a way that makes us transparent and only God's hand in the act of giving, is observed.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:01 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,199,037 times
This is the one thing that bothers me......do all these good things because you will GET A REWARD IN HEAVEN.

What's wrong with doing good deeds here on earth just because it's a good way to live? Why are you looking for a REWARD for doing what you should be doing anyway?

Old 07-29-2007, 11:08 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,837,261 times
Default on earth

Quote:
Padgett2 This is the one thing that bothers me......do all these good things because you will GET A REWARD IN HEAVEN.

What's wrong with doing good deeds here on earth just because it's a good way to live? Why are you looking for a REWARD for doing what you should be doing anyway?
Nothing.... not a thing. That is exactly the right way to think.

However it is human nature to seeks reasons and motivation... and let me add ,from personal experience, there isn't anyone who is that pure in thought. That would be perfection of thought... and I'm quite confident that no one can do that ALL the time. God is well aware of our nature, after all he created us.

But ... and this is a big but.... Even the most evil tyrant does good deeds, and even the most self righteous (selfish fool) does good deeds.... and God lets the life giving rain to fall upon us all, good or bad. It is about your heart and your MOTIVE. For who can see into another mans heart?

So if your intentions are pure, and believe as I do that God is love, then your rewards are a promise from God. God works inspite of the flesh, through our weaknesses. Our blessings on earth are for others to see and emulate how our life is lived... this is witnessing. Since none is perfect, and think how many spiritual leader fail, your expectations will never be met , if your expecting religious people to be perfect. Let me say "ain't gonna happen... ever". However if you place your expectations upon God, he will deliver. Let me remind all of us... God does not operate a spiritual candy store. His blessings come from our service to Him... not apart from Him. and again... He lets the rain fall on the flowers and the weeds.

Joh 15:5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains in me – and I in him – bears much fruit, because apart from me you can accomplish nothing.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:15 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,820,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
This is the one thing that bothers me......do all these good things because you will GET A REWARD IN HEAVEN.

I think doing good for the sake of doing good is very noble and the way it should be. However although some people are just good natured and generous and kind...there are others that will always need reward as a motivation to do good. Humans are flawed so whatever gets you to what you should instead of what you want is fine by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality