Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:24 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,419 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking about this tonight. Religion is a semi-natural coping mechanism for the stresses and worries of life. I'm not saying that religion or spiritualism is false or imaginary.

Think about it for a moment. Life can be terrifying, we are tiny compared to the world and universe we live in. Mental traits can be passed on generation to generation and even learned from observation.

Could belief in all things religious be the earliest form of a natural coping mechanism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 11:31 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
I was just thinking about this tonight. Religion is a semi-natural coping mechanism for the stresses and worries of life. I'm not saying that religion or spiritualism is false or imaginary.

Think about it for a moment. Life can be terrifying, we are tiny compared to the world and universe we live in. Mental traits can be passed on generation to generation and even learned from observation.

Could belief in all things religious be the earliest form of a natural coping mechanism?
I believe - yes, it is as you think.

I was thinking the other day about "rebirth" and how so many seem to occur during a great crises (as mine did).

Is a perceived rebirth sometimes a kind of personality split which is also a sort of coping mechanism to prolonged extreme distress?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:32 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:

The "spiritual fossil record" reveals a template built into our DNA for seeking and understanding God. Neuroscience has discovered the brain circuits designed to experience contact with God. Right brain adepts have developed the skills to turn on those circuits and turn down the sensory system noise to personally experience that contact. I am convinced that it is not so much a coping mechanism as the purpose of our spiritual evolution. Man made religions have largely retarded (even stagnated) that development and been a hindrance more than an aid in that evolution.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:34 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,943 times
I think you just blurred the gap between science and religion a bit more.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:33 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The "spiritual fossil record" reveals a template built into our DNA for seeking and understanding God. Neuroscience has discovered the brain circuits designed to experience contact with God. Right brain adepts have developed the skills to turn on those circuits and turn down the sensory system noise to personally experience that contact. I am convinced that it is not so much a coping mechanism as the purpose of our spiritual evolution. Man made religions have largely retarded (even stagnated) that development and been a hindrance more than an aid in that evolution.
To narrow it down to saying that we're pre-programmed to experience the Judeo-Christian God specifically may be taking logical leaps that are unfounded, but the gist of what you say is absolutely true.

Humankind seems to be pre-built to believe in something greater than themselves. People who have a very strong sense of gratitude to a higher being have greater levels of personal well-being (aka happiness.) Religion pops up in every human civilization that has ever existed. How can this be explained? Why are religion and creation of myths to explain the unexplainable the default setting for all of humankind?? Religion isn't the rare anomaly/exception in human experience, it really is the default setting. We really do seem to be pre-wired to believe in the supernatural.

Atheism as a significant belief set is a very new idea. Prior to the present era, atheism has always been the rare anomaly and shocking departure from normality. Humanity societies didn't start out universally atheist and invent religion as a coping mechanism. Religion of some form or another was always around and only after several millenia of existence does "the religion of not having a religion" appear.

If religion is just some giant coping mechanism -- well what is it coping for? If we are an organism that evolved by pure chance, why are we such insecure little creatures? How did that overwhelming sense of "life's just too hard, I can't make it on my own, I need a god to believe in" manage to make it's way into the evolutionary process? It just doesn't make logical sense that such a trait would make it through the natural selection process.

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 04-09-2011 at 12:43 AM..

Old 04-09-2011, 02:50 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Humankind seems to be pre-built to believe in something greater than themselves. People who have a very strong sense of gratitude to a higher being have greater levels of personal well-being (aka happiness.) Religion pops up in every human civilization that has ever existed. How can this be explained? Why are religion and creation of myths to explain the unexplainable the default setting for all of humankind?? Religion isn't the rare anomaly/exception in human experience, it really is the default setting. We really do seem to be pre-wired to believe in the supernatural.
Reducing this to the tribal mentality, the default setting is to follow the teachings of the tribe. It is a community thing. It is not a default setting as someone never exposed to the concept of gods or spirits will never automatically lean that way. As far as tribal religions go, they are usually reverence to forefathers.
Quote:
Atheism as a significant belief set is a very new idea. Prior to the present era, atheism has always been the rare anomaly and shocking departure from normality.
It is not an anomaly. Most atheists are ex theists like me.
Quote:
Humanity societies didn't start out universally atheist and invent religion as a coping mechanism. Religion of some form or another was always around and only after several millenia of existence does "the religion of not having a religion" appear.
No really, there may well have been atheists back then but they conformed to the will of the tribe.
Quote:
If religion is just some giant coping mechanism -- well what is it coping for? If we are an organism that evolved by pure chance, why are we such insecure little creatures? How did that overwhelming sense of "life's just too hard, I can't make it on my own, I need a god to believe in" manage to make it's way into the evolutionary process? It just doesn't make logical sense that such a trait would make it through the natural selection process.
I think you are over projecting. I certainly have no insecurities. My life is just fine w/o a god belief.

Religion is a cultural/tribal thing, today we have science which for all intents and purposes will become the default outlook. There will thankfully be no rituals associated.

Anyway, most of your premise is lacking as of all the allegedly religious/theist folk, they do not perform more than the baptism, wedding and funeral rituals. 90%+ of these proclaimants of xianity hardly ever attend church or are devout bible readers or prayer warriors. It is only the evangelicals and uber religious that throw the appeal to numbers to strengthen their cause.

The folk proclaiming to be true believers(tm) were one to take their definitions then 95% of folk would not cut the grade.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:36 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:

I left my fears behind when I abandoned religion...Religion does a lot more to create fear than to alleviate it....Think about it.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:33 AM

157 posts, read 243,908 times
Quote:
Quote:
If we are an organism that evolved by pure chance, why are we such insecure little creatures? How did that overwhelming sense of "life's just too hard, I can't make it on my own, I need a god to believe in" manage to make it's way into the evolutionary process? It just doesn't make logical sense that such a trait would make it through the natural selection process.
Though I agree that the concept of religion partly originated as a coping mechanism, I don't think it evolved purely out of an inability to deal with the difficulties of life. I agree it was likely a factor, yes, but I suspect that it also served to help humans deal with their own mortality, with the fear that came with knowing, in a real and conscious way, that they were finite. I also think that it's natural for any being who is self-aware and intelligent to wonder at his origins. When you understand that you have some kind of end, it's natural to ponder your beginning. Even on a personal level, among those of us who never had the opportunity to know either one or both of our biological parents, there is often a need to investigate that gap in our knowledge, a feeling that something important is missing in our lives due to the incompleteness of our knowledge of our heritage. I don't find it strange that, for many, this applies not only to our personal heritage but beyond to our shared heritage and farther back still, all the way to "How did it all begin?"

I think the reason this tendency made it through the natural selection process is because of our self-awareness combined with our intelligence and basic physical design. Our self-awareness gives us the drive to seek the knowledge and our intelligence and physical design gives us the means to seek it.

In this one sense, at least, science and religion serve the same purpose -- while being entirely different approaches (and often resulting in different conclusions), the pursuit of each is attempting to answer some of the same questions. As we've evolved, grown in knowledge, and explored increasingly varied philosophical ideas, there's been an increasing divergence of religious beliefs/non-beliefs among us.
Quote:
It is not an anomaly. Most atheists are ex theists like me.
All that being said, atheism as an anomaly is an outdated perspective on it. Was it, at one time, a deviation from the "common" rule? Sure. In times when our understanding of the world and the universe and all their various mechanisms was far less comprehensive (or not comprehensive at all), it makes sense that fewer among us would question whatever our particular culture taught us about them. Given the sheer complexity of the human mind, however, I do not doubt that there have always been those who rejected the religious teachings of their particular cultures, even if they did so privately to prevent ostracism or even more severe punishments, up to and including execution. Many cultures and their associated religious schools of thought have been, or still are, brutally intolerant of anyone who disagreed with them.

But the word "anomaly" no longer applies to atheism. There is no "common" rule or "normal" set of beliefs anymore because so many cultures are no longer isolated from one another, leading to widespread exposure to vastly different ideas and to increasingly impressive scientific discoveries. And though there is still a great deal of intolerance for naysayers to be found, the lack of isolation means there are greater opportunties for people whose beliefs differ from their native culture to relocate to a place in which they can live more openly.

I'm by no means saying that tolerance is where it should be; I'm merely saying that the world, as a whole, is far less hostile to those whose beliefs depart from what is considered the majority than it used to be. There are still isolated cultures, and there are still cultures that are intolerant to varying degrees, ranging from the brutal to the merely annoying, but there does seem to be a steady, albeit slow, progress away from that.

Atheism is no longer so uncommon as to be considered anomalous, nor is it incompatible with the instinctive drive to seek knowledge as to our origins. It is merely the result of intelligent, educated people drawing a specific conclusion to a specific question based on the current evidence available to them. There is nothing strange about that.

Whenever there are multiple possible answers to the same question, the only thing I would find strange would be if there was one particular possibility to which no one subscribed.
Quote:
If religion is just some giant coping mechanism -- well what is it coping for?
I think the answer to this question is more varied and personalized today than it was in more primitive times. For some, it is, as the above poster suggested earlier, a way to cope with the difficulties of life. It satisfies a need to believe there is some kind of loving force to whom one can appeal when in crisis.

For others, it is the only way they can cope with the inevitability of death, the idea of just ending being more than they can bear. For many of them, the fear of that would inhibit their ability to function in day-to-day life. Their religion assuages that fear and allows them to live their lives with a peace they wouldn't be able to achieve without it.

For others still, there is a need to believe that there is some kind point to it all, that their lives are not just exercises in futility, that all they experience and learn is not just a colossal waste of time that means nothing, and that there is some kind of justice system for the acts committed in this life. For them, the idea that people are born, they live, they die, and there are no consequences for anything bad anyone did (regardless of how heinous) and no purpose to anything that was learned or suffered or felt, fills them with a profound emptiness. Religion fills that emptiness for them, and motivates them to learn, to grow, to achieve and/or do good things for themselves and others.

For many, I'd imagine it's a combination of some or all of the above.

Then there are those whose religion, or lack thereof, is not a coping mechanism at all. Either they simply accept whatever teachings were drilled into them as children without examining them closely (merely going through the motions with no personal motivation behind their "beliefs"), or they've drawn their own conclusions based on whatever information is available to them and whatever personal experiences they claim without allowing what they might want to be true to taint that process.

I would assert that most agnostics and atheists fall into the latter part of this category. Though I've known a couple who want there to be no deity, no "rules", and/or no point, meaning that it could perhaps be argued that their agnosticism or atheism is a coping mechanism of some sort, that is by no means the norm. The vast majority of agnostics and atheists, based on my research and experiences, embrace no religion involving a deity or afterlife or whatnot simply because their education and logic dictates that they not do so, not because they have any personal stake in what they do or do not believe. Where there is no conclusive scientific evidence, they do not believe, or they actively disbelieve. What they might wish to be true has no relevance to what they believe is true.

But there are people of varying religious beliefs who fall into the latter part of this category as well. There are those whose belief system is purely the product of their own analysis of the latest scientific evidence, their personal experiences, and/or their intuition. For them, I don't see religion as a coping mechanism so much as the best answer they have to satisfy their curiosity about the universe's and humanity's origins.

I'd put myself in that last group, which is why my belief system is open to change based upon the receipt of new, validated information. I've often thought that those who are the least tolerant of differing beliefs, who are the most aggressive about trying to convince others to convert to their personal belief system, are the ones whose beliefs are the most fear-based. The very existence of people whose beliefs differ significantly from theirs is like a seed of doubt in their minds, and that is only threatening to someone who needs to believe to function well in life.

When your belief system is not predicated upon combatting fear, when it is independent of what you might wish to be true, you are not threatened by those who believe differently. You don't need to believe what you do, so what does it matter if a particular belief is undermined by someone else? If a belief cannot withstand scrutiny and contradiction, then it isn't a particularly valid belief to have in the first place, so, at most, what others believe should simply be a potentially interesting avenue for exploration.

Sorry this was so long, but it's been a long time since I posted much of anything on this forum and I found this subject particularly interesting.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:58 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times
As an atheist with a M.A. in psychology, I've long recognized religion and spirituality as coping mechanisms. Hell, even Karl Marx said, "religion is the opium of the people". What has been cool for me is discovering what the active ingredient is in the religious beliefs that enable the psychological effects.

For instance, religious people say, "Let go and let God". A positive psychologist would say they are utilizing the principle of acceptance, which allows the mind to relax, stop struggling to control something that is beyond our ability to control, let go of the anxiety, and have hope that things will work out. As an atheist, I can have all the same psychological benefits of acceptance without mentally turning things over to a mental construct called god.

My mentor in graduate school was C.R. Snyder, Ph.D., the founder of the psychology of hope, and a big player in the positive psychology movement.

So, yes, religion can be used as a coping mechanism, but the reason it works when it works is because it is utilizing basic psychological principles that can also be utilized without religion.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:08 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I left my fears behind when I abandoned religion...Religion does a lot more to create fear than to alleviate it....Think about it.
Me too.

Fear of that big old mean god throwing you into a lake of fire really puts a dampener on your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality