Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 04:21 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times

Advertisements

I imagine we will have a lot of different opinions on this topic. Most people would agree suicide bombers, or cult followers fanatical. If you know the Bible, do you consider the Pharisees fanatical? What constitutes looking beyond the mark?

Do you think it is fanatical to call "deviled eggs" "angel eggs"? Is it fanatical to consider Harry Potter evil and forbid your kids from reading the books? Is it fanatical to refuse to buy things on the Sabbath (because it means someone else will have to work on the Sabbath)?

OK, those are just examples, but could you express your view as a rule of them? When does something go from reasonable religious devotion to fanatical? Or, do you see it as a good thing to try to be perfect in following one's religious principles and/or even look down on those that don't do everything they could to completely live by their religion's expectations? Are you a hypocrite if you are less than completely obsessed with following your religious beliefs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 04:57 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I imagine we will have a lot of different opinions on this topic. Most people would agree suicide bombers, or cult followers fanatical. If you know the Bible, do you consider the Pharisees fanatical? What constitutes looking beyond the mark?

Do you think it is fanatical to call "deviled eggs" "angel eggs"? Is it fanatical to consider Harry Potter evil and forbid your kids from reading the books? Is it fanatical to refuse to buy things on the Sabbath (because it means someone else will have to work on the Sabbath)?

OK, those are just examples, but could you express your view as a rule of them? When does something go from reasonable religious devotion to fanatical? Or, do you see it as a good thing to try to be perfect in following one's religious principles and/or even look down on those that don't do everything they could to completely live by their religion's expectations? Are you a hypocrite if you are less than completely obsessed with following your religious beliefs?
Anyone wishing to impose their own belief structure or system upon others has crossed the line into fanatical territory.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:59 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:

You are a fanatic when you willfully try to have your views impact others without their voluntary consent. Issues of God are between you and your God, period. Your views should impact you and your actions, period.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:24 PM

591 posts, read 641,550 times
Standing behind and covering up for a false prophet, terrorist, liar, thief, mass murderer, slave raper, and pedophile, and terrorizing anyone that doesn't believe in, or cover up for said false prophet.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:40 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I think it's more a system or intensity of behaviors rather than specific things like saying "Heaven-O" instead of Hello.

The main ones coming to mind are "high intensity", intolerance, and using religion to actually keep yourself from loving or helping others. Like if you are devoting most of your day to a mix of watching religious shows and demeaning people of other faiths that's often "fanatical." So I'd say if you are spending all day reading New Age books and berating people for eating meat or believing in the Bible that's likely "fanatical" even if you're a progressive lesbian non-theistic Buddhist. As well as the more typical fanaticism of judging strangers and bringing the Bible into every conversation.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:59 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times
Interesting responses so far. Keep them coming.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:58 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Interesting responses so far. Keep them coming.
Try this one...it's kinda "switched up" from the OP...but along the same vein of "fanaticism concerning religious devotion":

The Atheists that (based on the thousands, and thousands, and thousands, of posts they put up) spend incredible amounts of their time/life...getting on a forum like this to debate/criticize/insult strangers about what they claim is something they believe doesn't even exist.---Now THAT'S fanatical!!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:46 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Try this one...it's kinda "switched up" from the OP...but along the same vein of "fanaticism concerning religious devotion":

The Atheists that (based on the thousands, and thousands, and thousands, of posts they put up) spend incredible amounts of their time/life...getting on a forum like this to debate/criticize/insult strangers about what they claim is something they believe doesn't even exist.---Now THAT'S fanatical!!
So the number of posts makes someone fanatical.
You have been on CD for just over a year and have posted over one thousand five hundred posts.
Are you a fanatic ?

Last edited by Aeroman; 04-17-2011 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: I do not think the number of posts makes someone fanatical :D

Old 04-17-2011, 10:13 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I don't know, but I do think fanaticism can be non-religious too. I didn't deal with that because this asked about religious fanaticism.

Still let's say someone is totally enamored with say Richard Dawkins and memetics. (I saw a person like this online before Dawkins ever wrote "The God Delusion" so I'm not really picking a name from thin air or just because he's atheist.) They say that Dawkins "Doesn't just have hypotheses, he has discovered the way the world truly works" (This is roughly what the guy said), devotes himself to studying Dawkins, and castigates you if you ever disagree with the man. Maybe that's not "fanaticism" but it is kind of excessive fan-boyishness that I think can be unhealthy and not even really what Dawkins, I hope, would want. And the term "fan" comes from "fanatic" as I recall.

Or Ayn Rand. I've certainly been on a board where some Objectivists asserts Rand and Objectivism are like everything. That we freeloading fools should bow to her genius and to theirs for being so superior. Or to Marxism or Nietzsche or whatever.

Atheism, in itself, is not really a philosophy but a position on a metaphysical issue. So in itself you probably couldn't be fanatic to atheism. I think though you could be fanatic to some system that has atheism as an element. (Logical Positivism, Empiricism, Marxist-Leninism, Nietzsche, Objectivism, some forms of Secular Humanism, atheistic variants on Buddhism, and so forth) At least in the form I mean as I'm leaning toward the idea of intensity, intolerance, and a certain inhumane quality as making one "fanatical." That could happen in political ideologies and has in history.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:40 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
GldnRule: It isn't reasonable to attack atheists by number of posts. I post on several other forums, so my total post count isn't a good indicator. And we have a perfect right to express our opinions. I try not to make confrontational personal attacks upon theists, although I admit that at times I get riled up at what I consider to be some of their blinkered, judgemental views. I appreciate the 'live and let live' views which the wiser members here have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality