Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 AM

643 posts, read 1,123,050 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying that all religious people do not like homosexuals but some people say that it says it in the bible or something so can someone tell me where it says this please.

Note: I am not gay, this is more out of curiosity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 08:40 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
I'm not saying that all religious people do not like homosexuals but some people say that it says it in the bible or something so can someone tell me where it says this please.

Deuteronomy 22:5
“A woman shall not wear a man’s garment, nor shall a man put on a woman’s cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God."

Leviticus 20:13
"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them."

Leviticus 18:22
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination"

Old 04-20-2011, 08:44 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Ah but that's OT urban. Can't count that any more.

Where does the NT condemn homosexuality?
Answer: It doesn't.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:47 AM

60 posts, read 157,980 times
Quote:

Broaden the question, why do religious people tend not to like anyone who does not agree and convert?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:50 AM

60 posts, read 157,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Deist View Post
Broaden the question, why do religious people tend not to like anyone who does not agree and convert?
Actually not just a random statement. In the last two years since I moved from Cristian beliefs to Deist, more tha 100 previous friends no longer communicate with me beyond saying hello in passing, and many I thought were good and close friends.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ah but that's OT urban. Can't count that any more.

Where does the NT condemn homosexuality?
Answer: It doesn't.
Would it matter if the NT did? I don't think it would. Homophobia would live on either way.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:03 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Would it matter if the NT did? I don't think it would. Homophobia would live on either way.
Agreed.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
Quote:
Actually not just a random statement. In the last two years since I moved from Cristian beliefs to Deist, more tha 100 previous friends no longer communicate with me beyond saying hello in passing, and many I thought were good and close friends.

Found out who your REAL FRIENDS were, did you....

Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,943 times
Quote:

The Bible has something that could be interpreted to this effect. But, remember that the bible was written by men who wanted to influence the law of the land and still do.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,218 times
Quote:
I've have had similar experiences since I became a Deist. A prime example was when I worked part time for a small business owned by a couple who operated it out of their (nice, large) home. The short time I had been there religion was never really brought up and we all got along pretty well - until one fateful day when the owners decided to buy pizza for all the staff. The pizza was delivered and we were all called to eat together at a conference table. Out of the blue, one of the owners asked me to say the blessing. All at the table immediately bowed their heads.

Put on the spot, I decided not to comply.

Silence...

The owner looked up and asked what the problem was. When I replied that I would rather not, they acted sort of surprised and inconvenienced then quickly had someone else do the honors. During lunch, the owner stated something along the lines of "I think it's a good time to reiterate that this company exists to glorify OUR Lord Jesus Christ. And I certainly hope everyone who works here agrees with that". This of course garnered some "Amens" from around the table. I replied that I respect their beliefs but I was not a Christian and basically there to make a living and pay my bills, and would rather keep religious beliefs on a personal level.

After that I was of course treated entirely different by the owners and most of the other employees - I pretty much became an outsider and treated in a passive-aggressive manner. No more friendly small-talk etc. It wasn't too long afterward that I was called into the owner's office, and was informed that "regrettably" business was slow and that I had to be let go. Can't say I was sorry to leave of course but the funny/ironic thing is that there was a contractor there later that same day giving them an estimate for a an in ground swimming pool.

I think what pissed me off more than the fact that they lied about not having money was that they just assumed I was a Christian and believed the same thing they did. But, that's par for the course for the majority of conservative Christians I've met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality