Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 03:56 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,203,398 times

Advertisements

Tlaloc? Cthulu is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 07:22 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,870,768 times
Religious leaders all over the world have been earnestly praying for world peace for decades. Biblegod isn't taking any notice of them. Why would he take any notice of some dude in Texas?

Old 04-22-2011, 07:30 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,161,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Tlaloc? Cthulu is better.
Nahh, Cthulhu sleeps too much and wouldn't hear the phone call

Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,689,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I see absolutely nothing wrong with his request. I will pray for rain in Texas to help put those devastating fires out.
There is everything wrong with this request. First off, prayer doesn't do anything except make the person praying think that they're helping, when all they're doing is sitting on their ass and talking to themselves. Secondly, a politician has no business whatsoever promoting religious practices while they are functioning in their political role.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:51 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,549,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I see absolutely nothing wrong with his request. I will pray for rain in Texas to help put those devastating fires out.
I wish it would rain to help with those fire. Two volunteer firefighters have died protecting their communities, and as a 31 year volunteer firefighter, they are brothers. Emotionally I'm invested in their efforts and sacrifice, as I have been there (on the fire line of a fire too large to control), I've just been fortunate and came home.

But in actuality my wishes, your prayers do nothing. It will rain when it rains and not until.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:23 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,161,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
There is everything wrong with this request. First off, prayer doesn't do anything except make the person praying think that they're helping, when all they're doing is sitting on their ass and talking to themselves.
Exactly. These folks would be far more helpful in controlling the fires if they became volunteer firefighters, putting those hands to some real use.

Quote:
Secondly, a politician has no business whatsoever promoting religious practices while they are functioning in their political role.
Yep, and a point I should have made in the OP.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:03 PM

63,876 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But in actuality my wishes, your prayers do nothing. It will rain when it rains and not until.
I generally avoid these issues of prayer effectiveness because they are true Catch 22's. Unwavering belief in their efficacy is absolutely essential to their effectiveness and that is seldom achieved within any group of size sufficient to affect us. Also . . . they do not work for physical or material things only spiritual through other human beings. But your wishes (which I have no doubt are sincere in this regard, Ashe) could have impact on your brother firefighters (perhaps reducing the risks taken or the number of dead or injured in some way). Anyway . . . just forget I said anything rather than rebut this post.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:59 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,754,826 times
It will rain eventually, prayers or not. Hopefully soon.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:32 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,689,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Unwavering belief in their efficacy is absolutely essential to their effectiveness
Moderator cut: deleted The "efficacy" of prayer is not determined by how many people are praying.

Zero times zero is always zero. Never a miscommunication.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-23-2011 at 12:48 PM..

Old 04-23-2011, 10:47 AM

63,876 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I generally avoid these issues of prayer effectiveness because they are true Catch 22's. Unwavering belief in their efficacy is absolutely essential to their effectiveness and that is seldom achieved within any group of size sufficient to affect us.
. . .

Anyway . . . just forget I said anything rather than rebut this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned The "efficacy" of prayer is not determined by how many people are praying.
Zero times zero is always zero. Never a miscommunication.
You don't read very well, do you Mercury. But . . . to tickle your vaunted faith in your logic just a bit . . . Ask yourself what mechanism could be at work for things like the "home field advantage" in sports. Like all things having a large number of fans in sync is not consistent . . . and the presence and numbers of opposing fans is a factor. Just think about it. No need to rebut this post either.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-23-2011 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality