Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,648,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
Eastern phylosophy derrives their answeres to the afterlife(or after death) from what the spirit tells them. It is noticed that throughout one's lifetime, a person experiences spiritual deaths and rebirths. They notice the soul is of pure light and is immortal. THe spirit is absolutely boundless. Time, space, and death cannot destroy it or fence it in. Through meditation, a person can enter a spiritual in-between(death-to-life) to consult the spirit, as a person becomes many times more clairvoyant in an in-between state. "medians" are those that can achieve that kind of state. Christianity suggests that you MUST believe in (Christ) the phylosophy of an eternal spirit in order to have an eternal spirit. You must believe that Christ is the son of God who defeated death, or else you will linger in the in-between and not return in accordance with God's judgement. It's logical that if you reject Jesus, you reject the phylosophy he represents, therein giving up any oppertunity to defeat death yourself. You must have faith in the right phylosophy of the boundless spirit in order to traverse through the beyond. That's why it's so important to know Christ in order to be saved. By knowing him, you are properly aligned phylosophically. You learn about the boundlessness of the spirit by achieving what Jesus did, spiritually. By following the spirit to Jesus, you die spiritually, and experience all the ways the spirit is boundless, giving you the ability to do all kinds of new things.
What you're describing is something that takes place in a specific part the brain. There are many events and factors that can trigger such perceptions. Interestingly, these perceptions can also be recreated in the lab. While such experiments neither prove nor disprove spiritual claims or what happens after death, it does show something about what takes place within your own brain that can produce such vivid impressions.

YouTube - The God Helmet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 11:21 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,763,542 times
Best not to speculate what happens after death. I know for certain that the body decomposes, but that's all I know and that's all I'm willing to claim certainty on. How could I know if anything else happens or if nothing else happens? As far as I know I've never died and later come back to life.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:28 PM

591 posts, read 642,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
What you're describing is something that takes place in a specific part the brain. There are many events and factors that can trigger such perceptions. Interestingly, these perceptions can also be recreated in the lab. While such experiments neither prove nor disprove spiritual claims or what happens after death, it does show something about what takes place within your own brain that can produce such vivid impressions.

YouTube - The God Helmet

I think most gurus will say that the Chakras are the portals to heaven. The brain may fire in certain ways when a Chakra lights up, but it is the Chakras that the spirit is communicating through. I've heard Christians refer to the Holy Spirit as your spiritual body, like you have a digital body in the digital universe with an avatar and user name, the Chakras, or the Holy Spirit is who you are in the spiritual universe. It's pure light, without anything physical at all, that is boundless and eternal. When you are spiritual, you are riding the light. Just like being on the internet, you log on to heaven through the Holy Spirit.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:04 PM

430 posts, read 584,254 times
An afterlife promise is integral to the religion of your choice. Not a one of them, to my knowledge, leaves out some sort of spiritual transformation upon the achievement of certain levels of dedication and tithing. This is true with Catholicism, obviously, but is also a promise made at the other end of the spiritual spectrum, by L. Ron Hubbard (The Church of Scientology). If there were not a good, fantastic end of time promise, then why bother taking the time out of your busy day, or borrowing from the limited wellspring of your spiritual essence, to invest it in a nonsense concept?

Adult denial (the realization that it's all a hoax) of an afterlife would be the death-knell of all religon. Also, the death knell of manipulative control of the masses. As a result, this will be fought tooth and nail by the devout, even though there is, of course, not one shred of evidence supporting it, (other than myths and faith-based hopeful statements from the delusional). So far no-one at all has ever come back to tap anyone on the shoulder either! As in:
  1. "Oh hi, Aunt Tillie! Good to see you again! You look well, considering you've been dead for 5 years!"
Right.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 AM

290 posts, read 389,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whuff View Post
This begs an interesting question: that belief in an Afterlife means there is a God. Can the two be mutually exclusive?

WH Uffington
www.thegreatestlieevertold.co.uk
mmm I'm not sure I agree. I believe in an afterlife without believing in a god.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:59 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,314,016 times
I believe our souls leave our bodies when we die. Where they go we won't really know until it's our time.
Some of my sister's are holy roller christians. They believe we just cease to exist once we die, going into some weird eternal blackness. And on the other hand, they also believe they will sit and hold Jesus's hand for all eternity, which really sounds boring to me.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:04 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,564,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidrAkirE View Post
The title says it all.
The point has been made. Other than the world's governments the church has more money and real property than any other entity. Think of that...billions of people giving their money away to ensure a promise of something favorable which is supposed to happen to them after they're dead. I've met some slick salesmen during my lifetime but none slicker than that.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:24 PM

741 posts, read 1,290,281 times
I think some people are very, VERY desperate for two things. 1. To survive after death. 2. To let not one thing indicate that the've spent their entire life beating down the wrong path to that end.
Those people will crow the loudest on this topic, because they need the peace of mind that they are RIGHT on this issue. To be wrong, or to even allow others to hold opposing viewpoints on the matter, would be far to dangerous to the worldview they constructed.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,564,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
I think some people are very, VERY desperate for two things. 1. To survive after death. 2. To let not one thing indicate that the've spent their entire life beating down the wrong path to that end.
Those people will crow the loudest on this topic, because they need the peace of mind that they are RIGHT on this issue. To be wrong, or to even allow others to hold opposing viewpoints on the matter, would be far to dangerous to the worldview they constructed.
You can kinda understand primitive mankind. I mean bands of savages pillaging and taking what they wanted. Many tribes practicing cannibilism, great distances between towns and wild animals along the way. Sleeping in caves with no source of light, etc. I imagine fear was omnipresent. Now it's just tales they wrote being passed on to innocent, gullible infants and small children.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,204,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidrAkirE View Post
The title says it all.
I suppose it's human nature. Some people FUBAR their lives then desperately hope they get something good when the die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality