Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 06:20 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,297,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The only things I've ever had in this life have thrown themselves at me. I didn't have to work at any of them. Not relationships, not education, not getting a job. Everything's been easy thus far, why shouldn't it continue to be?
From what you've said in other posts about your childhood you must have a really different definition of 'easy' than most do.
Of course what you have said in other posts (in other forums) doesn't always line up with what you say elsewhere so I shouldn't be surprised.
I am, by the way, NOT going to get into a discussion over this with you so don't expect any reply other than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 06:37 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,903,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post

Person: I want proof that God exists.
Devil's Advocate: Have you tried creating a personal relationship with God, you know, like other people have for thousands of years? Which, has actually worked for most people in their attempts to find God.
Person: No, because I don't believe in God.
Christian: I want proof that Brahma exists.
Hindu: Have you tried creating a personal relationship with Brahma, you know, like other people have for thousands of years? Which, has actually worked for most people in their attempts to find Brahma.
Christian: No, because I don't believe in Brahma.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,090,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
From what you've said in other posts about your childhood you must have a really different definition of 'easy' than most do.
Of course what you have said in other posts (in other forums) doesn't always line up with what you say elsewhere so I shouldn't be surprised.
I am, by the way, NOT going to get into a discussion over this with you so don't expect any reply other than this.
Nice cop-out. I expect it is you who is vehemently lying. My life has been perfect as well. Everything has been easy always. Always and constantly Blessed! Even through the tough times!

Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,730,991 times
Quote:
Anger, happiness, sadness, thoughts all exist "only in your mind". Does that make them any less real?
So do fictional characters. Does that make them any less real?

Quote:
In the sense that you need a radio to pick up radio waves and if you have a broken or turned off radio, you can't hear the waves, it's exactly like that.
But not in the sense that anyone with a working radio will receive the exact same transmission on a given channel. You don't have to believe in radio before you can hear it, you don't have to pretend there's something out there before it becomes "real", and there's an objective way to measure how radio works. So it's almost totally different from god in any real sense.

Quote:
There is "tangible" information that proves the evidence of God, if you believe in feelings, you can find God.
The evidence says otherwise.

Quote:
I think the frustration for atheists is that God is not like the President of the United States, as in He's not a person that you can actually see and touch. He's something more pervasive, that transcends space and time and I think the issue that atheists have is that they're not able to think outside of the box. They can't see beyond the very narrow scope of here and now when science itself has proved that there's so much more going on than what we can visibly see and 95% of what is out there to discover has been outside the realm of our understanding and comprehension.

Atheists want God to be what they want him to be, a humanoid who is omnipotent and simultaneously brings harmony, peace and prosperity to every living thing. He is not that, and maybe they're right in the sense that what they want God to be doesn't exist. In actuality, God is much bigger and way more complex than that and so they throw the baby out with the bathwater. They think because God isn't what they want Him to be that he must not exist at all.
Exactly as I predicted. You can't give us any hint on how to find these elusive gods. And then you blame us for being closed-minded for not finding them. Nice job putting words in our mouth. It may make you feel better to behave this way, but it would be a lot more convincing if you actually addressed what we're saying instead of your made up version of it.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Person: I want proof that God exists.
Devil's Advocate: Have you tried creating a personal relationship with God, you know, like other people have for thousands of years? Which, has actually worked for most people in their attempts to find God.
Person: No, because I don't believe in God.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Nice cop-out. I expect it is you who is vehemently lying. My life has been perfect as well. Everything has been easy always. Always and constantly Blessed! Even through the tough times!
You quoted me. Who are you addressing?

Old 05-03-2011, 07:03 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,730,991 times
Quote:
Accepting that God is real for the sake of argument, God is not imaginary, He is not your equal, and He helps connects you to all living things. He is not a substitute for other things like an imaginary friend; He is a part of your life and takes a natural place in it that only He can fill.

Big difference.
Over and over we see that any failure of the "open your heart and god will be obvious" approach is blamed on the person doing the experiment. How many times does it have to fail before we realize that it's not the people doing the research who are wrong?

Luckily we don't have to believe in modern medicine or agriculture for them to work - like everything else which is real they don't go away if we stop believing in it.

Last edited by KCfromNC; 05-03-2011 at 07:15 AM..

Old 05-03-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You quoted me. Who are you addressing?
I was addressing your comment that you weren't going to explain your accusations. I am unsure you would be able to understand how he feels simply from some internet posts.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I was addressing your comment that you weren't going to explain your accusations. I am unsure you would be able to understand how he feels simply from some internet posts.
He knows what he has stated here and elsewhere....I don't need to 'explain them

Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,446,089 times
Quote:
Konraden, question for you: have you ever tried to have a personal relationship with God? Yes, I realize that you think you are very smart and "above it all" and that religion is used to control people and God is BS, yes, yes, yes, I understand how you feel.

BUT, for the sake of argument, and for scientific purposes, have you ever actually tried to talk to God and establish a relationship with Him? I don't mean devote your life to Him or go to church or anything like that, but perhaps to spend a night talking to Him and see if you feel any differently? Just to say that you tried and that you can 100% speak from experience that He is not there.

I believed for decades that I had a relationship with God. Looking back, it seems to me that I, because of my preconceived, pre-programmed ideas about the reality of God, experienced what I expected to experience. I saw God's hand in everything because I believed God was involved, felt God's presence because I believed God was there. Now, as someone who highly doubts the existence of a god, I see what I expect to see ... no "hand", no "presence", just life.

Personally, I think your summary in another of your posts of the similarities found in many religions is compelling and I do give that weight. But it seems, to me, that we see what we expect to see when it comes to the existence or non-existence of God, and I have yet to understand how one determines the true significance of our experience, or lack of experience, one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality