Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 06:00 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,339,909 times

Advertisements

Konraden, I want to know what happened to make you stop believing in God, if you feel like sharing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Nozz, even though you're blocked, I still see your comments when quoted. Unfortunate.

I'm in the middle. I want theists to prove there is one, and atheists to prove there isn't. Until they do, I have to be completely neutral.
so basically you want someone to do all the work! no big deal, I'm not picking on you, I'm just drawing a parallel between your experience (how everything has been handed to you) and your approach to this topic.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:06 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,508,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Konraden, I want to know what happened to make you stop believing in God, if you feel like sharing it.
Zeus threw lightning bolts.

It's when I realized that Zeus threw lightning bolts. The people of Greece didn't understand storm systems. They blamed lightning an a god in the clouds who threw lightning bolts. I extrapolated from there, understanding that no god claims since have ever been anything more than explaining the unknown. Hence why human ignorance plays such a massive role in religions. People want answers, and religion provides them, no matter how wrong they might be. People are uncomfortable not knowing, and gods provide the outlet.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,722,083 times
Yes. I will only believe or disbelieve when I have proof. There are a LOT of things out there that I'm completely neutral about.

I have no problems with people believing or not believing anything they care to. As long as they don't try to push those beliefs on me without having any proof behind why I should agree with them.

It's your thing, do what you wanna do.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:07 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,411,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
3 - Atheism violates the second law of thermodynamics
The second law of thermodynamic says that the universe is now heading towards thermal death when the temperature of all organisms and particles becomes equal. So the universe as scientists say is heading toward disintegration, towards demolition, towards cooling and towards thermal death “thermal death of universe”, while atheism says that the universe is moving towards complexity and towards building a struggle to develop. So scholars consider the second law of thermodynamic to carry the end of Darwinism and selective evolution. And these are laws, not theories.. so the science on the side while atheism and Darwinism are completely on the other side .
The list contain 20 contradictions ..very interesting .. you should check it
Deep talk about atheism
The universe is indeed heading for heat death, and the only way that organisms could become increasingly complex, given the second law of theromodynamics is if they have some fantasically large source of energy to draw on. Now I wonder, what in the solar system could possibly produce enough energy to allow for something like evolution...That is a real stumper

Old 05-03-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Zeus threw lightning bolts.

It's when I realized that Zeus threw lightning bolts. The people of Greece didn't understand storm systems. They blamed lightning an a god in the clouds who threw lightning bolts. I extrapolated from there, understanding that no god claims since have ever been anything more than explaining the unknown. Hence why human ignorance plays such a massive role in religions. People want answers, and religion provides them, no matter how wrong they might be. People are uncomfortable not knowing, and gods provide the outlet.
I don't know about you, but I learned about the Greek God in junior high. So, if you're not being facetious, why did the epiphany strike you in 2006 and not years ago, in your opinion?

Old 05-04-2011, 12:57 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,082,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Personally, I think your summary in another of your posts of the similarities found in many religions is compelling and I do give that weight. But it seems, to me, that we see what we expect to see when it comes to the existence or non-existence of God, and I have yet to understand how one determines the true significance of our experience, or lack of experience, one way or another.
Inoriginality of rumors does not make the general concept true.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:01 AM

None of you have found the Invisible Pink Unicorn, because you haven't looked hard enough at the signs. You have to work harder if you are to understand and come to know the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

Isn't that basically what some of you are saying?

Old 05-04-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I learned about the Greek God in junior high. So, if you're not being facetious, why did the epiphany strike you in 2006 and not years ago, in your opinion?
No, I had the same realisation when I re-examined that people used to think that Aeolus created Wind from his breath. The only reason the Polythiest gods were replaced by the pseudo-monotheist god was because they were replaceable, as shown by the Fall of the Titans.
Though I probably realised that earlier when exposed to the concepts of Hades and Sokar. Honestly, its couldn't be both Hades and Sokar...but it could easily be neither.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:38 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,389,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Nozz, even though you're blocked, I still see your comments when quoted. Unfortunate.
Yeah real brave commenting at people who's responses you are hiding from. Says more about you and your character than I ever could, I am glad you act this way for all to see. Put everyone on ignore, lash out at them, stay protected from their replies, and you can maintain whatever world view you wish cowardly without fear of challenge. Nice.

Your trolling helps no one, and your going from thread to thread to thread on this forum just to tell people how "nothing exists" and "everything is pointless" and society is all wrong is just getting old at this stage.

Quote:
God would have to DO SOMETHING HIMSELF that the theist could present to you as evidence.
If you say so. These are your words not mine. I am not saying what the evidence has to be or will be or can be, you are. What your sources of information are are unknown to me.

All I am saying if that if YOU or any other theist wants to claim that there is such an entity as god, then the onus is on you to present and be prepared to discuss the evidence, argument, data OR reasons you have on which to base such a claim.

If you can not do that, then I will continue to highlight the fact that your claims are entirely baseless, entirely unsubstantiated, and most likely entirely made up.... just like I do with anyone else at all.... who makes any kind of claim at all..... and they have simply no reason to offer to justify making said claim.

Instead what you do, in sentences like the one above, is refuse to back up your claims but instead make cop out excuse after cop out excuse to avoid having to do so.

Quote:
Because theists have experienced God on their own, but atheists don't accept this as evidence.
Nor should they, for a very specific reason as follows:

We simply have no methodology by which to distinguish your claims from the claims of anyone else who says they experienced something. The world is literally full of people who claim to have experienced millions of different things, from being abducted by UFOs, to being Napoleon reincarnated, to sighting unicorns, to being healed by magic, to hearing voices of the dead coming from the astral planes to.... I could go on for the rest of my life listing the claims people make and never run out of them.

So GIVEN that all these claims are being made and GIVEN the only back up for those claims is that the person making the claim "experienced" them.... we have no intellectually honest way to distinguish between the claims.

Present me with a methodology for doing so and we can begin to talk, but right now I have literally no way to accept your claim that you have experienced god, and then reject all the other claims of other experiences. If I were to accept your claims therefore, the ONLY INTELLECTUALLY HONEST course open to me would be to accept ALL the others too.

The issue with theists therefore is they are not being intellectually honest, and they are subjectively and baselessly choosing to accept the experience of the people they want to accept the experience of.... and dismiss the rest. They are then even more intellectually dishonest because they then get upset when WE reject THEIR claimed experience out of hand despite the fact it is what they do themselves with all the other claimed experiences THEY reject.

Quote:
Like I said, atheists want God to do all the work.
Again: A lie. Again: Because since they do not think there IS such an entity they do not want it to DO anything. Your lie-statement makes as much sense as me saying that "I want the son I do not have to go to the shops for me".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality