Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:01 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times

Advertisements

Usually when we argue about god vs no god, the argument breaks down because no one can adequately define the word "god". So what is and isn't god to you personally.

Please no debates on whether god exists or not....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 12:11 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
To me, "God" is a made up entity that some people use to explain why things happen, good and bad, because it makes them more comfortable to have a reason for things.

I find it funny that most people in my country find it ludicrous to think that Apollo pulls the sun across the sky in his chariot, but have no trouble believing that Jesus was the living son of an immortal "God", who was immaculately conceived, walked on water and rose from the dead. Oh, and that Noah somehow fit about two million animals on his boat and kept them from eating one another, not to mention himself and his family.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:37 PM

5 posts, read 6,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Oh, and that Noah somehow fit about two million animals on his boat and kept them from eating one another, not to mention himself and his family.
Also, other religions and cultures have a deluge myth. Gilgamesh, Ziusudra, Manu, Deucalion, etc.

As for what "God" means for me, I take a monistic panentheist view in the sense that "God" is not exactly the creator but rather divine energy that powers reality.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:42 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Which god.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:48 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,895,205 times
I don't believe in any gods of any sort. In discussions, I try to be generic; usually focusing on a creator type god. But, I also let the person I'm talking to guide the discussion to whatever kind of god they are talking about.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:52 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
If a God exists then the Biblical definition that God IS love is what makes the most sense to me. Any of the various religious writings I have read, as well as my own experiences of the power of love to transform people's way of seeing themselves and intereacting with the world around them confirm that to me. Whether or not god/love is a conscious being, or a palpable energy force of some sort, or simply a logical "law", however, is not something I have an answer to.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:55 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,976 times
God is soul and God is personality. Just as you and I are distinct, so is God. He is the creator of all that is, was or ever will be. We are His children, sent to earth to experience this life in whatever way makes us happy for when we are happy, God is happy. He is absolute Love and there is no other Love like Him as there is no other like each one of us. He has His place of habitation as we will have our own. He is at the center of all that is created or ever will be created. God is our Father and goes by many names. God, The Creator, The All That Is, the I AM, The Light, Allah, The Great Source and Center, Love, Father, Daddy, or whatever name you want to call Him so that you can become closer to Him. He is an individual just as we are all individual. His love is so powerful that He can know all and see all even though He doesn't reside on this plane of existance. He has a part of Himself in each one of us even if we don't recongnize His existance. The part of Him that is within us is what keeps Him close to us and to experience this life with us.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
The Book says God is without beginning or end. Creator of everything. All knowing. All powerful and somehow can be in two or more places at once. Is not bound by space and time. Knowable to a small degree. A personal God, who is involved with people's lives. Who desires to be in relationship with those who want to be in relationship with Him.

I'll go with that.

Yea, there are other gods. My understanding is they had a beginning and are limited in scope and power. Zeus, Horus, Thor, etc.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:29 PM

49 posts, read 92,528 times
"God" (or "god(s)" as described as "powerful and loving" cannot be accurate or believable. Let's take these recent tornadoes & terrible storms in the south...over 300 people died...massive injuries & destruction in many states....NOT FREE WILL FOR SURE!!! So, how POWERFUL is "god" to not have stopped this? And how LOVING is "god" to allow this to happen? And let's not forget that (I would be certain) that many of the people affected, either by death, loved ones death, or destruction, ARE (or WHERE) believers! There is no such thing as a "god who is powerful and loving" in light of the "Acts of god" that have been taking place (Japan earthquake/tsunami, Haiti earthquake, Katrina, etc. etc.). Let's listen to logic & events that surround you!

Old 04-29-2011, 02:34 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,872 times
To define God is to kill him. Hence the problem. Lots of spectacular definitions here, most of them delve highly into the abstract and become incoherent or irrelevant quickly. It usually does.

To give any rigid definitions to God would kill him, because once you have a rigid definition, you can test it. And something testable is something falsifiable--science wins again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality