Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:58 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,331,610 times

Advertisements

Who here reads Deepak Chopra's work and applies his teachings? What do incorporate into your life? What is your favorite book or teaching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:05 AM

Nobody on here reads his stuff?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:41 AM

126 posts, read 276,290 times
I read his book "The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success" when I was a kid (round 6th grade). It was one of the seminal books that put me on my spiritual path which has led me to where I am now--a Buddhist in the Vipassana (Insight Meditation) tradition. This book opened me up to the power of consciousness in itself and the idea of kharma or cause and effect. I haven't read it in a long time so can't go in to the specifics of what I liked.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:24 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,900,580 times
I have known about him for years and years, and I don't like what he is teaching, nor do I care for how he states things as facts that are not facts, but are simply his beliefs. He has this arrogant air, like he is the master; that just bugs me. What really bugs me is that there are eager, earnest people who are attracted to his confidence and are being duped by him.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:19 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,323,868 times
I,ve read a few of his books, and afterwords I always feel enlightened and spiritually enriched......He's a great man!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 02:09 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,391,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Who here reads Deepak Chopra's work and applies his teachings? What do incorporate into your life? What is your favorite book or teaching?
Anything I have read of his, or heard him say on videos, is devoid of any actual truth or substance.

His skill lies solely in the fact that he has realised if you bombard people with entirely meaningless terms... but terms that sound funky or cool or even sciency... that they will be conned into thinking you must be saying something valid or true.

He has become quite good at it too.

Aside from a skill with meaningless but funky sounding linguistics, I have seen nothing in his work of any noteworthiness or usefulness or even validity.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:45 AM

126 posts, read 276,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Anything I have read of his, or heard him say on videos, is devoid of any actual truth or substance.

His skill lies solely in the fact that he has realised if you bombard people with entirely meaningless terms... but terms that sound funky or cool or even sciency... that they will be conned into thinking you must be saying something valid or true.

He has become quite good at it too.

Aside from a skill with meaningless but funky sounding linguistics, I have seen nothing in his work of any noteworthiness or usefulness or even validity.
I agree he is not the pinnacle of spiritual enlightenment. For me he basically served as a way to think about things in a different way. From there I went on the read more heavyweight authors. His stuff is maybe one step up from the "secret" somewhere around Ekhart Tolle. He brings a small sliver of an idea in a watered down form to the masses. I don't hate him though...but I've only just read the one book.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:56 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,391,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseENT View Post
For me he basically served as a way to think about things in a different way.
You got more from his words than I did then because I found literally nothing of substance AT ALL in his writings. Not just very little. I mean literally nothing at all.

Maybe you can adumbrate what I missed.

His entire texts seem to be literally saying nothing, but saying it with fancy sounding entirely made up words.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:00 AM

81 posts, read 203,440 times
I stopped reading DC's work years ago when I became convinced he was publishing only for the sake of profit.

I very much like to read material from the mind of Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. Two books that come to mind are "Flow" and "Evolution of the Self". In my humble opinion, these books rate as all-time works of genious. They are life-changing, to be sure.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I have known about him for years and years, and I don't like what he is teaching, nor do I care for how he states things as facts that are not facts, but are simply his beliefs. He has this arrogant air, like he is the master; that just bugs me. What really bugs me is that there are eager, earnest people who are attracted to his confidence and are being duped by him.
That is usually what happens when you have something to offer and makes sense. But, it will usually have people attacking it because it stirs the pot and tells them that they are wrong in the way they are living. Nobody likes hearing they're wrong. It gives way for change and people don't like change. People fear change.

We have developed this notion that people don't and can't change. So, when someone says we need to change they stir the pot, but when someone actually does change they are considered strange and often times cast out. What Deepak has to offer is something we already know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality