Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:24 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Christianity needs a filter. There's way too many sects.
Virtually every Christian denomination believes Jesus is our Savior. (I would argue that those that don't aren't Christian.) The rest is just details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:02 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Christianity needs a filter. There's way too many sects.
" people almost invariably arrive at their beleifs, not on the basis of proof, but on the basis of what they find most attractive"
--BLAISE PASCAL

Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
If there were proofs, there would be no need for beliefs.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:07 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
Myself, I am an agnostic or maybe a deist. Most of my family are Christians. One of them is constantly listening to Christian talk radio and tv. Now, as much as this annoys me, I do overhear alotn of what they are saying. The past couple years, it seems as though the talk has turned from the scripture, to constantly trying to explain themselves and show people the truth { their truth anyway } Trying to show examples of why this religion is real and so forth. So, for them it seems they are focusing less on talking to fellow christians and focusing more on trying get people to become christians.

Why do you think this is??? Now, I know the answer most atheists would give so this question is directed more twords the faithful themselves
Well, I am not a Christian, but I used to be one (so I think I can give you a Christian like answer). Here goes...

We believe it is our duty to ourselves and our God to spread his love, his mercy, and his word. He gave us his only begotten son and allowed him to shed his blood for us. We only owe to him in return our love and our faith, and we will meet our father in Heaven. This much is God's promise to us. We are taught that the non believers are lost sheep and they are. We must not let anyone be left behind when the final judgement comes. He will return on a cloud, a cloud that every eye shall see. Only those that know him and love him with their minds, body, soul, and lips can be saved.

With that said, I no longer believe any of the above (and haven't since I was 12 years old). However, I have noticed that Christianity is in more of a survival mode now than say 20 years ago. IMO, it has to do with the fact that the World is evolving into a higher level of consciousness. People today no longer feel the need to be as racist as before, as homophobic as before, as cruel to animals as before, etc etc. Naturally, as we progress into our higher consciousness, primitive religious worship is a mentality that will die out too. It will take time, but it will happen. Even folks that consider themselves to be Christian don't take the bible literally (which means they are NOT true Christians). In time, these folks will let go of all of their faith (but it takes time to give up that "safety net" of hell). It amazes me when I hear a Christian say to me "why take that chance, just believe and you'll be saved". My question to them is doesn't your all knowing "God" knows that your faith is just a front so you can stay off of Satan's BBQ pit?

Anyways, I'll give Christianity 20 years tops, then its done (and I seriously don't think it'll even be that long).

Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Well, I am not a Christian, but I used to be one (so I think I can give you a Christian like answer). Here goes...

We believe it is our duty to ourselves and our God to spread his love, his mercy, and his word. He gave us his only begotten son and allowed him to shed his blood for us. We only owe to him in return our love and our faith, and we will meet our father in Heaven. This much is God's promise to us. We are taught that the non believers are lost sheep and they are. We must not let anyone be left behind when the final judgement comes. He will return on a cloud, a cloud that every eye shall see. Only those that know him and love him with their minds, body, soul, and lips can be saved.

With that said, I no longer believe any of the above (and haven't since I was 12 years old). However, I have noticed that Christianity is in more of a survival mode now than say 20 years ago. IMO, it has to do with the fact that the World is evolving into a higher level of consciousness. People today no longer feel the need to be as racist as before, as homophobic as before, as cruel to animals as before, etc etc. Naturally, as we progress into our higher consciousness, primitive religious worship is a mentality that will die out too. It will take time, but it will happen. Even folks that consider themselves to be Christian don't take the bible literally (which means they are NOT true Christians). In time, these folks will let go of all of their faith (but it takes time to give up that "safety net" of hell). It amazes me when I hear a Christian say to me "why take that chance, just believe and you'll be saved". My question to them is doesn't your all knowing "God" knows that your faith is just a front so you can stay off of Satan's BBQ pit?

Anyways, I'll give Christianity 20 years tops, then its done (and I seriously don't think it'll even be that long).
I will retain my opinion of whether it's a good thing or a bad thing...but I think your assessment of the future of Christianity is waaaaaaay off base.

MOF...from the current evidence, in 20 years, Christianity will not only NOT be "done"...it will have 25-30% MORE adherents than is does now. Here's why: In The Land Of Mao, A Rising Tide Of Christianity Among Chinese : NPR

Old 05-05-2011, 02:11 AM

912 posts, read 827,025 times
Quote:
Myself, I am an agnostic or maybe a deist. Most of my family are Christians. One of them is constantly listening to Christian talk radio and tv. Now, as much as this annoys me, I do overhear alotn of what they are saying. The past couple years, it seems as though the talk has turned from the scripture, to constantly trying to explain themselves and show people the truth { their truth anyway } Trying to show examples of why this religion is real and so forth. So, for them it seems they are focusing less on talking to fellow Christians and focusing more on trying get people to become Christians.

Why do you think this is??? Now, I know the answer most atheists would give so this question is directed more tweeds the faithful themselves
Alot of people in todays world simply do not have anything explained to them.
ATM machines, phone answering baloney, heres the instructions figure it out, everything is contracted out, even the dentist. And then when you get close to zeroing in on a little compensation....sorry thats our policy.

So I think that people generally associate explanation with feeling good about themselves. The sound of explanation is positive because people like to understand that they are worth explaining things to.
Everything is turn key for profit.

There are other things going on as well . I haven't heard any of this , just going on what your saying.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 05-05-2011 at 02:32 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 10:22 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,912 times
I don't think Christians are fighting to keep their religion alive. They are standing up for what they believe in.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:54 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,323 times
Organizationally, what is wrong with wanting to keep members? Do not atheists want to grow their ranks? Republicans and Democraps? Commies and Green? All other organizations?

These things are communication systems, all social systems are; states, cultures, groups, etc. To stay an organization requires boundary maintenance. This is a philosophy thread and the idea should be brought into it, after all.

The boundary defines the social group, it draws a distinction between itself and all others. If the boundary collapses and the organization attempts to stay intact without a boundary, it begins to not be able to distinguish itself from its own environment (all other systems).

Each system reproduces itself through its own processes. Christianity has to do this through its own structures (ideas, theology, doctrine, preaching and such). How in the hell could it reproduce itself it it sounded like atheists or economic theory?

Theologically, christianity would be better as a smaller organization. It's love affair with getting large and all inclusive is a glut that dilutes internal reproduction by morons who want to dissolve the boundary that keeps this movement distinct, and muddy it with a bunch of ideas that belong to other systems. Systems are healthy when they operate within their functions, maintain strong boundaries, and keep out crummy interpenetrations from other different systems that inhibit internal operations.

All organizations have entrance and exit requirements. Well except for christianity; any half wit can get in. Christianity is like the feminist, as I was told by one who always dated feminists because they would give oral sex on the first date to prove their sexual liberation, because it too is so eager to prove that it is liberated from itself, and ready to mindlessly embrace all other things, it will now do all things-even deny itself; thereby, eventually going insane (that is what happens when one can not draw a distinction between itself and its environment), or for this system characterized by social anomie.

Christianity will always exist as it is the religious embodiment of the completed rational syllogism. Some where there will be adherents who wish to reproduce the system through its own operations rather than be prostituted to a host of others. But for now it would be best if the majority of it collapsed and all the hanger-ons went somewhere else.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:58 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I don't think Christians are fighting to keep their religion alive. They are standing up for what they believe in.
Surely they know better than to do that by now.

Good to see you sun queen.

~ bell ~

Old 05-17-2011, 12:00 PM

190 posts, read 242,285 times
So i Take it that u r not a christain....The best gift in life u can recieve is JESUS CHRIST as your personal savior...But u have a choice to choose whom u want to serve rather GOOD or Evil...only God is good..Jesus says if u reject me than I will reject....

Quote:
Myself, I am an agnostic or maybe a deist. Most of my family are Christians. One of them is constantly listening to Christian talk radio and tv. Now, as much as this annoys me, I do overhear alotn of what they are saying. The past couple years, it seems as though the talk has turned from the scripture, to constantly trying to explain themselves and show people the truth { their truth anyway } Trying to show examples of why this religion is real and so forth. So, for them it seems they are focusing less on talking to fellow christians and focusing more on trying get people to become christians.

Why do you think this is??? Now, I know the answer most atheists would give so this question is directed more twords the faithful themselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality