Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 04:29 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,906,303 times

Advertisements

Myself, I am an agnostic or maybe a deist. Most of my family are Christians. One of them is constantly listening to Christian talk radio and tv. Now, as much as this annoys me, I do overhear alotn of what they are saying. The past couple years, it seems as though the talk has turned from the scripture, to constantly trying to explain themselves and show people the truth { their truth anyway } Trying to show examples of why this religion is real and so forth. So, for them it seems they are focusing less on talking to fellow christians and focusing more on trying get people to become christians.

Why do you think this is??? Now, I know the answer most atheists would give so this question is directed more twords the faithful themselves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 04:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,073,264 times
they pretend to be struggling because they like victimizing themselves. They have always sought to convert others and/or maintain their followers because that is how the business is run.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:03 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,743,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
Myself, I am an agnostic or maybe a deist. Most of my family are Christians. One of them is constantly listening to Christian talk radio and tv. Now, as much as this annoys me, I do overhear alotn of what they are saying. The past couple years, it seems as though the talk has turned from the scripture, to constantly trying to explain themselves and show people the truth { their truth anyway } Trying to show examples of why this religion is real and so forth. So, for them it seems they are focusing less on talking to fellow christians and focusing more on trying get people to become christians.

Why do you think this is??? Now, I know the answer most atheists would give so this question is directed more twords the faithful themselves
The bolded part could use more elaboration. I don't think I understand where you're going with it.

And all change or lack thereof kinda depends on the religion itself. Some haven't changed much at all in the last hundred years. Other's aren't even a hundred years old yet.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:25 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,437,035 times
It annoys you that a relative listens to radio and tv programs that interest them?Is your relative annoyed that you listen to or watch programs that interest you?

I find it unlikely that many non christians are watching christian religious programming so it would be silly to target that audience.Most christians in my experiance don't even watch that type of programming very often.Perhaps they are just bored with analyzing scripture all the time and wish to talk about other things.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:32 PM

45,453 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Some denominations place great store in followers going out to find new adherents. Mormons must go on a mission in their late teens/early twenties to do just that (ok, that may be a bad example). Jehovah's Witnesses are noted for proseletyzing as are some Baptists and Pentacostilists.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:15 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,906,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
It annoys you that a relative listens to radio and tv programs that interest them?Is your relative annoyed that you listen to or watch programs that interest you?

I find it unlikely that many non christians are watching christian religious programming so it would be silly to target that audience.Most christians in my experiance don't even watch that type of programming very often.Perhaps they are just bored with analyzing scripture all the time and wish to talk about other things.
Point taken, I see what you mean. Let me re-phrase what I was saying in my OP. It seems as if these programms are trying desperately to keep the members they have from leaving the faith, and somehow convince their followers that they "are doing the right thing, and not to doubt it.} Just today I heard that the number of people who affiliate themselves with a religion is dropping dramaticly..

Old 05-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Point taken, I see what you mean. Let me re-phrase what I was saying in my OP. It seems as if these programms are trying desperately to keep the members they have from leaving the faith, and somehow convince their followers that they "are doing the right thing, and not to doubt it.} Just today I heard that the number of people who affiliate themselves with a religion is dropping dramaticly..
Well your current idea makes some sense.When media starts to get 'stale' to their target audience they realize they must freshen it up or change direction in a way that will help retain their current audience and hopefully win back some of the audience they've lost.Otherwise they will 'lose their gig' and be replaced by some infomercial hawking 'pokemon chia pets'....or something.It really isn't so different than non religious media.If no one is watching then no one is going to pay for an ad or sponser them.

On a somewhat related note many churches have sprung up that have services which to me more closely resemble a combination rock concert/game show/variety show than what I would consider a 'worship service'.....but a lot of them are wildly popular.Many in such congregations wouldn't be there except for the added entertainment value but I suppose from a christian perspective thats better then having them 'sleep in on sunday'.In religion,as in business,marketing is an important component of success.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:56 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,557,029 times
Quote:
I should point out that most Christians (me included) don't really listen to the Christian talk shows. But I do on occasion.

Nonchristians, who are seeking spiritual truth will explore many sources. Thus the focus.

No one is desperate, but if that is your perception so be it. Opinions are good. I recommend that everyone have one.

One thing that so many people on this forum fail to grasp is that we are not held in the Fold by mere words. If that were the case I and all of my friends would have quit being Christians years ago. It has to do with God. Not something imagined, or whipped up by motivational speakers.

Consider that once one has experienced the power of God, arguments to the contrary have no effect. You might as well challenge my claim that I love my wife for all intents and purposes. Sorry friend. But you are wrong would be my response.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some denominations place great store in followers going out to find new adherents. Mormons must go on a mission in their late teens/early twenties to do just that .
'Must' is a bit of an exaggeration.....although it is strongly encouraged.Plenty do not,including some who later in life have gone on to hold high office in the church.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:13 PM

45,453 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
'Must' is a bit of an exaggeration.....although it is strongly encouraged.Plenty do not,including some who later in life have gone on to hold high office in the church.

The very few (a couple dozen) I've come into contact with hinted it was required, that was the base of my limited knowledge of LDS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality