Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:39 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,182,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by progmac
The point is not whether it is more moral to love or hate evil people, the point is should we, as a society, tolerate evil?

BTW Jesus saying that you should love your enemies is something entirely different as saying that you should love evil (people).
Simply because the fact is that your enemy might not necessarily be evil.
On the other hand a rapist, with the exception of being mentally disabled, can only be evil.
You don't people good people occasionally commit evil acts? We're all evil, Tricky, you don't need the Good Book to tell you that, just look around. But what matters is realising that trying to do as much good as we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 05:02 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,256,991 times
Originally Posted by Trimac20
Quote:
You don't people good people occasionally commit evil acts? We're all evil, Tricky, you don't need the Good Book to tell you that, just look around. But what matters is realising that trying to do as much good as we can.
Again, there is a difference between saying that all people are sinners and saying that all people are evil.
People who tell lies commit a sin, but that does not necessarily make them evil. During WWII many Dutch citizens denied to the Nazi government that they where harbouring Jews while that was what they were doing, which makes them liars but I would not call them evil.

FYI those people who always take care of themselves first thus only are capable of loving themselves can only be evil.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:10 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,182,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 Again, there is a difference between saying that all people are sinners and saying that all people are evil.
People who tell lies commit a sin, but that does not necessarily make them evil. During WWII many Dutch citizens denied to the Nazi government that they where harbouring Jews while that was what they were doing, which makes them liars but I would not call them evil.

FYI those people who always take care of themselves first thus only are capable of loving themselves can only be evil.
Sorry I don't think I phrased what I wanted to say probably, my fault. I meant that in a sense none of us is 'less evil' than another because we all have the capability for it, but equally we have the capability for good.

Is lying ALWAYS bad? That's a moral/philosophical question for the ages. I try to be as honest as possible, but I won't hesitate to lie to someone like the Nazis to save my family. Besides, it would seem pretty crummy not to when I've lied about smaller things in the past!

Old 05-08-2011, 06:14 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,845,175 times
The evil men we hate are always a matter of respecting or preferring not to respect the Others' notion about equality. In the existential essence of equality we first know ourselves truly equal. How we regard ourselves too often may be a meaning of privilege.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Trimac20
Quote:
I meant that in a sense none of us is 'less evil' than another because we all have the capability for it, but equally we have the capability for good.
And my point is that there is a difference between serial rapists and selfish people; meaning serial rapists are always selfish individuals but not every selfish person is a rapist.
So a serial rapist can only be more evil than a selfish person, simply because he is unable to love others like he loves himself.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:12 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,845,175 times
Yeah, well I always thought that the democratic customer service at a police department made the human judgment about one's intolerance. Meanwhile, th judgments at learning about what it took one to know one in the financial trust companies was just to remind US: yu', that evil madman was on the other end of the line years ago. My human nature was truly selfless for those "evil" anti-racists.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 AM

912 posts, read 828,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 And my point is that there is a difference between serial rapists and selfish people; meaning serial rapists are always selfish individuals but not every selfish person is a rapist.
So a serial rapist can only be more evil than a selfish person, simply because he is unable to love others like he loves himself.
serial rapist has no admiration, constructive regard, respect, or love of self.

thats the problem.

recourse in a suffocation of perceived rejection, the act of rape is a recording or replay of how the rapist feels he or she has been treated in life. relative to the rapist it is logical and necessary.

detached in a perceived self useless contribution... by way of an implanted suggestion the rapist longs for communication and identification through ,mutual hopelessness...no one understands me says the serial rapist, i shall find someone or many.. who will feel as i feel.
i will make it happen.

its what the rapist ultimately has to share..abolishment in constructive hope. a mental case who cannot possibly love anything including a positive reflection of self. thats the problem

I think it would be moral to hate the personality, which enables the evil. Some thought considers hate the act, love the sinner.

I find that a little to general. If we could see a mind and the pure percentage of either reasonable good will or other, its easy to see how it could be confusing to love an evil individual when...perhaps 85% is in the darkest of darkness. I would like to reject that 85% of the personality.

If theres only 15% left in order to possibly re-install normality thats his or her problem....not mine. I think standing tough to the realities is important.

People can't improve if they think everything is oh...everthing is ok. Well its not ok.. 15% thats all I can work with here pal, so if you think something is odd....figure it out.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 05-09-2011 at 01:20 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Hue
Quote:
serial rapist has no admiration, constructive regard, respect, or love of self.
If a rapist is unable to love himself (read: satisfy his urge), then why commit the act of rape?
I mean why would a rapist feel the urge to rape others if it did not somehow make him feel better about himself?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 PM

912 posts, read 828,862 times
[quote=Tricky D;19080064]Originally Posted by Blue Hue If a rapist is unable to love himself (read: satisfy his urge), then why commit the act of rape?
I mean why would a rapist feel the urge to rape others if it did not somehow make him feel better about himself?[/quote

Opinion...We could look at drug or alcohol addiction. Not drawing attention to addiction but the idea of need.. in a serious state of desperation.

When a drug addict gets his or her fix, they are not necessarily focused on
feeling better about them self as you note, but escaping the intolerable moment of withdrawal. Theres no foresight or care for the future in desperate need.

...the rapist in opinion doesn't feel the urge to go about with the destructive behavior in order to feel better about himself. The consideration of not planning an attack would be intolerable.

An escape from self. I believe the rapist is ultimately a victim syndrome case. He feels outrageously victimized. The only way out is to reverse the role, including other detail offered earlier

If I burn my hand accidentally, I have the urge to put some aloe vera or butter on it, maybe cold water would be better, the presence of mind is not to feel better, but to address the pain

Last edited by Blue Hue; 05-09-2011 at 10:38 PM..

Old 05-10-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Hue
Quote:
An escape from self. I believe the rapist is ultimately a victim syndrome case. He feels outrageously victimized.
You only prove my point that a serial rapist only cares for himself.
Heck, he is even wiling to hurt others in order to stop feeling victimized himself.

But the difference between a serial rapist and an alcoholic, with the exception of those rapists who suffering from a mental handicap (like the inability to empathise with others), is that a serial rapist does not suffer from a diminished mental capacity; he isn't intoxicated like alcoholics are.

Besidez, every time an alcoholic falls of the wagon he is admitting that he cares more for himself than others, which is no different from the behaviour of serial rapists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality