Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 05:37 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,666,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Buddha and Confucius were never considered gods, only sages.
For that matter, neither did Jesus of Nazareth. That all came much later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 07:32 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,163,605 times
No, he shouldn't have to specify which "God" he's praying to. The constitution makes it quite clear that there shall be no religious test to be the President of the United States. That was put in there exactly because of religious zealots like you folks. It does not matter if the god he prays to is your false Bible god, the false god of Islam, Zeus, Odin or the Flying Spaghetti monster.

Of course, it would be best if gods were kept out of Presidential statements altogether. Separation of church/religion and state is in the constitution as well.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:11 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,492,698 times
Myself.

Since I do not believe in a supernatural entity that could intervene on my behalf, I am the only consciousness directly able to affect my life. Other people may also have that role, but just asking them works just fine most of the time.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:40 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,444,296 times
I'm sure that were the president to end his prayers with..."in the name of Jesus Christ amen" there would be plenty on here suggesting that he was praying to a 'different jesus'...or that since jesus exists in the koran it would be ok for a 'closet muslim'to throw his name in there...or since he is really a 'closet atheist' he isn't sincere in his prayers anyway.

I didn't vote for the guy,and hope he gets retired after one term but the petty sniping about everything the guy says or does is beyond silly.I really couldn't care less how he prays or who it's directed at.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:17 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,603,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Buddha and Confucius were never considered gods, only sages.
Yeah I noticed that too. There was some tendency in Chinese folk belief to make sages into gods, so I've heard of people who worshiped Confucius like a god, but still yeah they aren't gods in any official religion.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:21 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,019,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Amen.

he is the most insincere, twisted, lying, deceiving President this country has ever known.
Wow! You knew all 44 of them, huh?

You've been all over the guy since day 1 which tells me this is more than a rant after a two year assessment, but rather, a dislike [from day 1] because of some other almost apparent reason.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:27 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,949,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Editorialist View Post
The other day a person was startled to find out that Mr. Obama at the end of his speech concerning the apprehension of Bin Laden actually mentioned God at least twice; the first when he said this nation is one under God with liberty and justice for all and then at the end when he said, "God bless America". Probably many others were as well since it has been Mr. Obama's custom in most situations to drop the words, "God", "Jesus" or "Jesus Christ" whenever he speaks as well as fail to give credit for or recognize a Christian holiday even although he recognizes Islamic ones.

Now I somewhat pondered over this seemingly "new switch" for Obama. But then I remembered there are many Gods out there. There is the god of this world, "satan". There is the god, "Buddha". There is the god, "conficius". There is the god of Islam, allah, and of course our God, the Jeudeo/Christian God, whom the Jews recognize as Yahweh/Jehova and Christians, Jesus Christ.

And this is why Jesus has commanded us to always end our prayers to the Father through Him, Jesus Christ, our Lord. It is important our prayers reach the correct God.

During this occasion it is very possible Mr. Obama got clever and each time he said god he inserted in his mind or inaudible voice, "allah".
Under our Constitution the use of the word, "God", and that word alone, during a public prayer meeting becomes non-sectarian and thus offends no one, However, we who believe in Jesus Christ and the Father must always be specific to whom we pray and in every instance always include or end our prayers with "Jesus Christ" and that same right allows the Islams to insert "allah", the devil worshippers, "satan", etc. etc. down the line in order (unfortunately) to satisfy Constitutional requirements.
You are sorely misinformed. "Satan" is a mythical character from a fairytale. Buddha is not a god - there is no god in Buddhism - Confucius was a philosopher, not a god . . .

Old 05-07-2011, 10:29 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,949,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Amen.

Yes, whenever I listen to his "speeches",and he inserts the word "god", I know in my spirit, in my heart of hearts that it isn't the God to Whom I pray and love so dearly...definately another god. Obama is running for the Office of the President of the United States...and He's chest thumping...everything he says and does is for his re-election...he is the most insincere, twisted, lying, deceiving President this country has ever known. I do not trust anything he says or does...nothing. Come 2012...it cannot get here fast enough for me.

Whenever he shows up at any gathering, he deminishes it...he destroys it...he puts a mark of darkness on it...I wouldn't invite him to anything. He ruins it simply by being there....oh well...the deceived people voted for him...thanks a lot...we got what you asked for....absolutely nothing good. Pure evil.
What on Earth has Obama done that would warrant such hateful wrath? I will bet dollars-to-donuts that you are a "Christian."

Old 05-09-2011, 05:44 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,513,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
What on Earth has Obama done that would warrant such hateful wrath? I will bet dollars-to-donuts that you are a "Christian."
This is what she believes because this is what The Most Reverend GLENN BECK told her to believe!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:03 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,573,822 times
Personally, I choose the Flying Spaghetti Monster and to worship with his true followers the Meatball sect and the Bread stick sect. They give true sustenance to the body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality