Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:30 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,781 times

Advertisements

Why are churches important? When I look at one I see a building that needs to pay electricity, ac/heat, building costs, payroll, and general business expenses (I would think?). I can understand why churches want people in them (to pay expenses), but what value do people get from them?

As an atheist, I honestly do not understand it. Is there really a connection between God and a particular building? What makes that particular building special, what about it would make God decide thats the place he wants to representing him as opposed to everyother building or area? And how do Christians know that there is in fact a special relationship between the building and God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 11:42 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
Why would there be a special relationship with the building and God?Its the people in the building that matters to the people who attend.

Someone could look at building that belongs to a club and say the same things,it costs money whats the point.To people who wish to belong to the club having a place for people with common interests with them justifies the expense to its members.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:18 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
When I look at a church I always wonder why they have lightening conductors.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:27 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,781 times
So churches are just social clubs?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:05 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
So churches are just social clubs?
While i'm sure many will disagree.....but as a practical matter they meet the definition,so yes.Churches are places where people with common religious beliefs can congregate together and practice their beliefs in a group setting.They also tend to get together in the buildings for some purely social functions,allow public service functions like allowing AA and drug addiction recovery programs a place to meet,and sponser boy scout troops,etc.Those who don't share such interests don't have to utilize them.

People could worship in groups at people homes...and some do.Its hard to fit 300 people in your house though so it doesn't work well with larger groups.

People could save a lot of money if they only drank alcohol at home....and yet many people are happy to spend 4X the cash to drink at a bar.I no longer drink....but I don't care if others want to go to a bar.If they have a good band playing I might even go and just drink a couple sodas.No bar could stay in business if they had to depend on customers like me so its lucky for them most patrons aren't.Unless they are providing entertainment I don't see the 'value' to sitting on a stool,paying a premium to do something I could do more comfortably in my house or a friends house just so some bar owner can pay his utilities and buy his building....as I said though,if others do enjoy it I don't care.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:26 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Why are churches important? When I look at one I see a building that needs to pay electricity, ac/heat, building costs, payroll, and general business expenses (I would think?). I can understand why churches want people in them (to pay expenses), but what value do people get from them?

As an atheist, I honestly do not understand it. Is there really a connection between God and a particular building? What makes that particular building special, what about it would make God decide thats the place he wants to representing him as opposed to everyother building or area? And how do Christians know that there is in fact a special relationship between the building and God?
Respectfully I believe you need to see more of the world or read more on human nature.

A long time ago I was a practicing christian. Now I am not. I do go to services with my wife because it is important to her so I join her just as she may join me in activities that are important to me.

Religion may offer something that people feel it is important in their lives. Why do people love to go to see football games? Look at them! Some are so into it because it gives them something in their lives, the same in religion.

Why do others love to go to musicn concerts. What is so great about some sounds that go into their ears?

Why do some people like to go to a museum and see some paintings that look like a bunch of color blubs?

Whether something gives you pleasure, mental peace, an answer to your spiritual or emotional needs, etc. that is what people like to go to churches, games, museums, etc.

People do not eat, listent to things, attend events, create things, etc. that do not give them some type of pleasure or answer to their questions that satisfy their needs. That is what I can come with as an answer, take care.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Churches are an old carryover from ancient temples. Those temples were basically mansions for the priests where they could fleece the tribe and have many dark rooms to have sex with young bloods. It's the racket that has been religion. Of course they insisted they were built for the gods because those deities needed an earthly place to hang out whenever they were in town.

Nothing much has changed. Folks are told these extravagant houses need to built so "his people" can be gathered to worship in "his presence" as if his presence cannot be worshiped in the living room of their homes. That being said, some folks do like crowds and the meeting together of like minds. Just don't forget to drop something in the offering plate on the way out though.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:33 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Well, churches have been around for the better part of 2,000 years, and many of the expenses you list are less than 100 years old, so yeah, maybe if churches cannot afford their upkeep, then the Christian community needs to reassess how/where they gather, but that is their business not mine.

Also, up until fairly recently in history, churches, through their monasteries used to make money. a lot of it. Most of it, in fact.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:10 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
does it say in your bible to build such ostentatious buildings to worship in?? while the poor sheople go hungry and homeless..

Old 05-11-2011, 04:56 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
does it say in your bible to build such ostentatious buildings to worship in?? while the poor sheople go hungry and homeless..
And since you mention that, I walk around NYC taking pics of the various churches and I've noticed the amount of homeless folks I see outside "god's houses." God has all these mansions to choose from, but so many people are homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality