Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:24 PM

866 posts, read 1,563,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Wrong. Nothing in science is ever 100% proven. Proof only exists in math. A theory is the explanation of the mechanisms regarding a certain scientific phenomenon. Theories are as good as it gets. And in scientific terms, a theory is not a guess or a hypothesis.

Just so you're aware, gravity, atoms, germs, plate tectonics, kinetic energy, heliocentrism, etc. are all "just theories" too.
Science is not static. New theories come out all the time to explain phenomena. Your example of atoms is one example. They were originally believed to be made up of a small particle, but as our knowledge expanded, we realized that there were electrons in atoms, then we learned about how electrons orbit the proton nucleus, then we found out about neutrons, and now we have even smaller particles that make up protons. It is not being anti-science to claim that science changes often and what may be the consensus today could be rejected tomorrow.

Either way, your argument doesn't really affect what I wrote about in terms of my beliefs at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 12:41 AM

33,623 posts, read 37,274,218 times
I agree that science is not static, but in the case of evolutionary science every new discovery has just made the theory of evolution stronger....The theory has continually confirmed the facts of evolution.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:54 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,590,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Faith is not science. If you want to wallow in your disbelief then that's your business but don't come into a Christianity forum pushing the big bang theory (notice I said "theory") or any of the other varieties of false beliefs and expect a resounding "YES", by Job, (notice I said "Job", you know, that Bible character thingy) I think we evolved from NOTHING!!

Read the Bible, it's worth the read.
ROFL.....you don't understand science in the least do you....everything is a "theory" because as our knowledge base increases our theories are revised to be even more accurate.

The theory....LOL.....of electromagnetism seems to be pretty accurate otherwise we would/could not be using a computer and the internet!

Scientific theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scientific method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a great link to understand what a theory means....because IMHO....you obviously don't>>>>>>

Was Darwin Wrong? @ National Geographic Magazine

And here's a baby picture of the BIG BANG!!!!!!

Old 05-14-2011, 01:03 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,590,489 times
Quote:
My dear boy, faith cannot and does not contradict science........it blows it completely out of the water and out of this realm. The two things are like oil and water. Not only do they not mix, but think of the texture of each of them,....one is really hard to clean off of ANYTHING and it's a killer, as well as a lifesaver. It's the lesser of three evils. And trust me, I KNOW evil.
What an ignorant post. I try to respect religion and religious posters/people but your post is both antagonistic and condescending.

It's always religious folks like you claiming science attacks religion but we ALL know it's really religion that attacks science; your post is a pefect example of that.

Science makes no mention of a God......one way or another; as God is not an observable and verifable phenomena, which is the rock upon which knowledge and science are based.

IMHO.....I don't trust you in the least.....your post is clearly prejudiced and agenda driven......and frankly DRIVEL!!!!!!

Old 05-14-2011, 04:17 AM

9,704 posts, read 10,077,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
ATTN.
How much longer can Christians ignore the scientific proof of the big bang, evolution, and natural selection? These things are proving time and again yet there are some Christians { especially fundamentalists } who refuse to believe them. Is it that you haven't taken the time to study and understand these things, and if so, why not? Are you afraid of the implications it may have on your faith?
One thing I know is that we as humans cannot and should not let faith blind us from what reality is no matter the consequences.
Lord Jesus Christ died on a cross and rose from the dead and is now very much alive in the Spirit of the Lord, and as the result the indifference that man is from the Lord God ,..... Jesus can take that indifference away from us to make us one with the Lord through His Spirit, were we can exist with the Lord God for evermore ...... See Lord Jesus loves you.....and the man who calls himself an scientist atheist and Jesus waits for him to turn to him so he will be one with God how he was designed to be to be a whole man instead of a challenged man of afraid , or natural only.........

Old 05-14-2011, 08:09 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,813,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
Science is not static. New theories come out all the time to explain phenomena. Your example of atoms is one example. They were originally believed to be made up of a small particle, but as our knowledge expanded, we realized that there were electrons in atoms, then we learned about how electrons orbit the proton nucleus, then we found out about neutrons, and now we have even smaller particles that make up protons. It is not being anti-science to claim that science changes often and what may be the consensus today could be rejected tomorrow.

Either way, your argument doesn't really affect what I wrote about in terms of my beliefs at all.
Yes science changes as new evidence presents itself. That's what makes it reliable. But some theories are so strong, they will never be completely abandoned. They may slightly modify, but they are as close to proof as we ever get. Evolution is one such theory.

The problem with religion, is it's based on tradition - so regardless of what evidence proves aspects of it wrong, many believers (conservative) will never change their views and will adamantly reject said evidence to protect those views.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:17 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,847,271 times
That's interesting. Culture is science bound by nature. In our common sense we should be stopping driving cars by the middle of this summer. Of course, the Kyoto Protocol was not necessary, but the 2012 end line seems to be acquiring no human relief for abandoning the current theory for updating.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:58 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,165,530 times
Quote:
My dear boy, faith cannot and does not contradict science........it blows it completely out of the water and out of this realm.
Indeed it does

Sorry hon, but science has an infinitely superior track record of curing disease & hunger, increasing knowledge and improving humanity's lot in the universe than faith ever will. Other than piles of rubble and lakes of blood, faith has accomplished ZERO.
Attached Thumbnails
How long will you ignore the science?-world-trade-center-attack.jpg  

Old 05-14-2011, 01:31 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,029,803 times
Belief perseverance. It's a concept in social psychology where once someone believes something it is very unlikely they will change their beliefs irregardless of the evidence. This is why many creationists and IDers don't accept evolution by natural selection, even when presented with the vast amount of evidence that supports it. They made a conclusion prior to examining the evidence then completely ignore everything contrary to their own beliefs. Case in point, you can even see this in this thread. It has been explained many times that evolution is a scientific theory which is what a layman would consider a fact, yet the IDers are still saying evolution is 'just a theory.' They're right, it is a theory, but not in the way they mean it, yet they refuse to get it through their heads that there is a difference between a theory in science and a theory in the way a layman uses the term.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 PM

14 posts, read 23,680 times
The problem some Christians have with evolution is with the data itself -- but most evangelicals don't want to even take a look outside their bibles. Do they have a theological issue if evolution is true? -- Sure! And I'm not trying to minimize these: original sin, federal headship, God's image in man are all issues that must be carefully worked through. But there is also quite a problem if evolution is false. We have a creator who gives His people theological doctrines supposedly based on the recent special creation of all living things in their current form, but then voluntarily submits his creative will to the precise physical constraints of the evolutionary process without even the slightest pretense of fiat.

Which problem is worse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality