Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 AM

99 posts, read 123,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by LovinBensalem Because that makes as much sense as God saying that life can only be a sin, since only the living commit sins.

What?

Even the things that weren't meant to be taken literal?
I mean the story of Job obviously is a parable; why else would God enter a bet with Satan and tell him that he can do anything to make Job suffer with the exception of killing him?

I'm not quite sure what you're point is here, but I do believe that God literally conversated with satan in regards to Job. It teaches me a great lesson about God faithfulness.

That probably is because most bigots justify their ignorance with their religion / philosophy.
Because of their religion / philosophy they not only believe that everyone else but them is wrong, they are convinced that they can only be right.
Well, again I am no BIGOT - you're opinion is respected but quite off being as though you do not know me personally. There is a huge difference between a bigot, or a homophobe and a true Christian.... I feel like you should be educated in that more before you begin to throw these names around so loosely.

Obviously, the point of CHRISTIANITY is to point people to CHRIST and preach the gospel. So I understand that some people would see us as arrogant or whatever other name you would like to call me to insult me. BUT thats what we are called to do. Be the salt and light of the world. I'm NOT shoving anything down your throat. I simply express and love of Jesus Christ and share my faith with love and passion, with understanding and acceptance. If people refuse what I have to say, and begin to treat me as an outcast and call me names, such as yourself, then I move on from the situation and no hard feelings... I'm not going to continue to push and push and damn you to hell because thats not who I am... thats not my job. My job is to respect and love people, because in my BELIEF its Gods job to judge, which he will.

So, my friend. I do not think you can put me into the same category as these other types of people that you have been labeling me with.

BY THE WAY... THIS IS NOT ABOUT RELIGION FOR ME. I DESPISE RELIGION, AND PHILOSOPHY.

I have a relationship with Jesus Christ...he's changed my life in so many ways... it's deeper then weekly services and bible reading. It's deeper the memorizing scripture and pointing fingers... its deeper then emotionalism.

This is real to me.

Thank you again for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,041,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinBensalem View Post

BY THE WAY... THIS IS NOT ABOUT RELIGION FOR ME. I DESPISE RELIGION, AND PHILOSOPHY.
This is the wrong forum for you. Go to the christianity forum since this one is about religion and philosophy.

BTW, only the moderators are allowed to use red. Choose another color please.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
This is the wrong forum for you. Go to the christianity forum since this one is about religion and philosophy.

My apologies - I will use another color. I was just trying to make my comments stick out of the quote. Sorry about that.

I can leave, no problem... but was my answer off topic to the original question? Or were my responses more off topic then the questions that are being asked to me? If so, I understand... no worries

Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post

Oh I forgot to mention the reason why I said "this is not about religion or philosophy for me..." is because I was trying to get across a bigger point. Just wanted to throw that in there as well.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:33 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,041,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinBensalem View Post
Oh I forgot to mention the reason why I said "this is not about religion or philosophy for me..." is because I was trying to get across a bigger point. Just wanted to throw that in there as well.
No worries. You can stay if you want.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:40 AM

869 posts, read 975,696 times
Quote:
....they not only believe that everyone else but them is wrong, they are convinced that they can only be right.
Strange! That's exactly how sinners come across as they try to justify their sin.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:59 AM

33,633 posts, read 37,294,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Strange! That's exactly how sinners come across as they try to justify their sin.
Is that like how the religious justify their bigotry by calling it sin?

Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,897,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I truly don't understand how a person can actually worship and follow a religion that so despises gay people? I was so naive in the past and thought that religion wanted people to love everybody and now I realize that Christianty is more about hating others than anything else How can anybody actually continue to follow this and live with yourself?
Hi, I don't have the patience to go through 17 pages of this, but I'd like to say this. I am 21 years old and a devout Roman Catholic. My religion has taught me to love all, with all I have, always (pretty sure I just paraphrased a quote by someone there, not sure...) When it comes to gay people, we view their homosexuality as a cross to bear, something that is a great difficulty to overcome and as something that they must realize and cannot deny. If a gay person were to try to act straight, they would still be sinning, because they cannot offer their fullest selves to their partner. At the same time, if they were to be with someone of the same gender, they still would not be able to offer their fullest selves, because they cannot become one.

Since they have a very, VERY, heavy cross to bear, we must offer them all the love and support we have. I do not understand people who tell me that I'm filled with hate because of my religion, when that is the reason why I am inspired to love everyone I meet. Honestly, I think the hatred people see in Christianity has more to do with a reflection of our culture's views and expectations of Christianity that anything else, because not only do we see what we want to see, I think some Christians act based upon this thinking that it is the right thing to do, live up to expectations.

Also, and I'm probably going to REALLY offend people here, and I apologize, but I find that Irish Catholics tend to frighten people. Those of my generation raised by Irish Catholics I find tend to view the church as too forceful, controlling, and hateful. They were not raised in a happy celebrating church, but a strict somber church of rules and regulation. I was raised in a community of Italian Catholics, with celebrations, festivals, food, more food, and a real sense of community. I meet my friend's at church and even plan events around when we're going to mass or who's doing what at what festival/event etc. The main difference I've noted between the two groups of people, is that the Irish made church almost frightening, while the Italians made it a part of everyday life and as a community center. Now granted, these observations of mine do NOT apply to every case, but I just think it's interesting to see how two cultures celebrate their religions.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:40 PM

869 posts, read 975,696 times
Quote:
Is that like how the religious justify their bigotry by calling it sin?
Jesus was accused of worse for speaking truth.

Quote:
then answered the Jews
Quote:
and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and HAST A DEVIL? (John 8:46-48)

Quote:
John 15 >>
New American Standard Bible

18“If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. 19“If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you. 20“Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A slave is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they kept My word, they will keep yours also. 21“But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know the One who sent Me.

Last edited by Radrook; 05-18-2011 at 02:51 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 04:54 PM

33,633 posts, read 37,294,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Jesus was accused of worse for speaking truth.
So are you likening yourself to Jesus now? Did he ever say even one thing about gays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality