Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:04 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times

Advertisements

this one always gets me whats the purpose of building such extravagant buildings to worship in, when millions of poor people, children are starving.

her's a link of a few, i say again a few fancy places of worship just the tip of the obscene ostentatious ice berg

Places of worship from around the world | eAmazings (http://eamazings.com/index.php/eamazings/places-of-worship-from-around-the-world-14012010.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
this one always gets me whats the purpose of building such extravagant buildings to worship in, when millions of poor people, children are starving.
w/o something tangible to identify with, the sheeple would not be attracted to it.
Quote:

her's a link of a few, i say again a few fancy places of worship just the tip of the obscene ostentatious ice berg

Places of worship from around the world | eAmazings (http://eamazings.com/index.php/eamazings/places-of-worship-from-around-the-world-14012010.html - broken link)
Of course, these are not true christians(tm) and have been led astray by satan.

Believe me, no matter how small a church is, the building fund usually outweighs the budget for "missionary/charitable" work.

All bells and whistles, they of course have to compete with teh wurldly places like discos, theaters, etc.

So much for John 6:44

No one can come to me unless the father draws them.

I guess the "father" is into these repugnant buildings fitted out with their symbols of torture aka teh cross.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
w/o something tangible to identify with, the sheeple would not be attracted to it.

Of course, these are not true christians(tm) and have been led astray by satan.

Believe me, no matter how small a church is, the building fund usually outweighs the budget for "missionary/charitable" work.

All bells and whistles, they of course have to compete with teh wurldly places like discos, theaters, etc.

So much for John 6:44

No one can come to me unless the father draws them.

I guess the "father" is into these repugnant buildings fitted out with their symbols of torture aka teh cross.
the picture i get is symbols are more important than the worshipers i guess the sheepls are expendable!!!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
the picture i get is symbols are more important than the worshipers i guess the sheepls are expendable!!!
Mind you this has been teh way of the church for eons, just look at the RCC and other cathedrals in Europe, these were buildings of grandeur while the masses lived in probably abject squalor.

I guess they all missed the part that their god does not dwell in temples built with hands.

The new translation/interpretation reads:

god does not dwell in a dump.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Mind you this has been teh way of the church for eons, just look at the RCC and other cathedrals in Europe, these were buildings of grandeur while the masses lived in probably abject squalor.

I guess they all missed the part that their god does not dwell in temples built with hands.

The new translation/interpretation reads:

god does not dwell in a dump.

The World’s 10 Largest Church Buildings | Quazen many poor sheeple dollars at work here

Old 03-21-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
The World’s 10 Largest Church Buildings | Quazen many poor sheeple dollars at work here
At least these are pleasing to the eye even today, some grand architecture unlike the modern equivalents. These are palaces by comparison but then we have to understand that the church hierarchy were in cahoots with the royalty of the day, much like the church in the USA is blurred with the politics/government of the modern era.

Both religion and politics are mechanisms of control of the masses. For the people, by the people has long ago left the building.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:33 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Come on! You can be sure that all the leaders of those football stadium sized churches asked god if it's okay, and the answer must have been 'go for it!'.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:42 PM

98 posts, read 147,327 times
What I would like to know is how much of their budget is taken up with salaries and building funds/maintenence? How much is left over to actually help the poor and needy?

I have searched and searched and have only found a few tidbits on this. Since churches do not have to report to the IRS there are no records.

The few I can find is, at the most, 15% left over and most of that is for missions. So maybe less than 5% actually helps the community.

Do any church-going people know how much of their church's budget goes out to your own community to actually help people, real live people? Not to prosthelitize, but to really help?

I think if churches had to make their budgets public (or even pay their fair share of taxes) we would all be very shocked.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:48 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
I think you have to go back to the first churches when they were probably in someone's home. Then in a special room in their home, and then in a special house with a special room.

Then of course, you need to make sure that there are no draughts and the windows are sealed properly against the wind and weather. Then you need to attract more people, so make it better-looking. Then you need to attract the MONEY. People with money are not going to worship their god in the same place as common people, so they have to have somewhere fit for the MONEY to come to worship.

Haven't you ever gone into a nice hotel which was well decorated and 'felt' that it was worth paying the room charges? Well, people like to get what they pay for. BIG donations pay for BIG churches. Wealthy landowners want a special chapel for them and their family to be buried in.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
There was once a place to worship, Jesus said that it would be destroyed [in a really cool parable kind of way which was really talking about both Solomon's Temple and at the same time His own physical body].

Both were destroyed.

Today Christ has been risen and lives on, within his followers. Today the saints are the 'body' of Christ, members in particular. Today we form the 'temple'. Different metaphors to describe the same thing but from different facets.

Man may build anything he wishes to build, it has nothing to do with God or God's people. There is one temple today, one body of Christ, one church; and it is not a building made with stone.

However many small minds get confused and seem to need a building made of stone; unfortunately such buildings lead to heresy doctrines and groups thinking that their buildings have some holiness to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality