Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times

Advertisements

Heard an interesting broadcast on NPR. Below is the link to the broadcast and the article.

A little about myself for those who are unfamiliar:

I'm an an Atheist and I speak Arabic. In college, I had to translate much of the Quran into English, though admittedly, I haven't paid much attention as I was more than a little apathetic. However, in as much as I've read the Bible, I wouldn't be at all surprised - the Bible is grotesquely violent at times.

What are your thoughts?

Is The Bible More Violent Than The Quran? : NPR

Quote:
"Much to my surprise, the Islamic scriptures in the Quran were actually far less bloody and less violent than those in the Bible," Jenkins says.
Jenkins is a professor at Penn State University and author of two books dealing with the issue: the recently published Jesus Wars, and Dark Passages , which has not been published but is already drawing controversy.

Violence in the Quran, he and others say, is largely a defense against attack.

"By the standards of the time, which is the 7th century A.D., the laws of war that are laid down by the Quran are actually reasonably humane," he says. "Then we turn to the Bible, and we actually find something that is for many people a real surprise. There is a specific kind of warfare laid down in the Bible which we can only call genocide."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 10:47 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
well i don't know which book has more violence but from what i see on the news... the quran bangers are the most violent of all the religions of the present hands down.. i mean like almost everyday you hear about a suicide bomber that blows up a bunch of inocent people for whatever the cause..the muslim islamic exremist are sick freaking people

List of suicide bombings in Iraq in 2005 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i don't see cristians doing this^^ or buddhist.. islamic extremist blow people up like i kill cockroaches ticks fleas centipedes no mercy

Old 03-19-2010, 12:31 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,835,583 times
No violence in the Quran but only against those who transgress; and there shouldn't be any transgression on others; because God loves not the trnsgressor.

(Fight in the way of God against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. God does not love aggressors.)

The above between brackets is the explanation of the Quran aya 2: 190
وَقَاتِلُواْ فِي سَبِيلِ اللّهِ الَّذِينَ يُقَاتِلُونَكُمْ وَلاَ تَعْتَدُواْ إِنَّ اللّهَ لاَ يُحِبِّ الْمُعْتَدِينَ

ÕÝÍÉ ÌÏíÏÉ 1

Old 03-19-2010, 02:54 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
the Bible is grotesquely violent at times.

What are your thoughts?
When will people who come here to write 'the Bible is grotesquely violent' justify their accusations?

Old 03-19-2010, 06:16 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
When will people who come here to write 'the Bible is grotesquely violent' justify their accusations?
I didn't realize this was a highly contentious accusation. I suppose I wonder when people who come here to question the fact that the Bible is actually an unjustly violent text will actually read their own book. Or, at the very least, just be polite and ask for a few?

---

For the sake of bandwidth saving measures, I've elected to simply post a link from a 3rd party website that contains a list of over 1,000 verses. I haven't read this entire list nor do I necessarily support all of the verses posted. However, if you want a place to start, I would imagine that this isn't a bad place to start:

Cruelty and Violence

I feel that as well, if you read any part of the article, you'd also be given atleast one example of a "grotesquely violent" Bible verse.

Quote:
Deuteronomy 25:11-12
If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity.
Quote:
2 Kings 2:23-24 NKJV
Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up the road, some youths came from the city and mocked him, and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” So he turned around and looked at them, and pronounced a curse on them in the name of the LORD. And two female bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.

Quote:
"...They shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child (pregnant) shall be ripped up!" -- Hosea 13:16
(guess "YHWH" is pro-choice)

Old 03-19-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I've elected to simply post a link from a 3rd party website that contains a list of over 1,000 verses. I haven't read this entire list nor do I necessarily support all of the verses posted.
Why do these three quoted passages indicate grotesque violence? If the deity of the Bible exists, who can describe anything he does as grotesque?

Old 03-19-2010, 06:28 PM

200 posts, read 308,085 times
I picked up Quran once and read it. It was an old translation and Quran was spelled Koran. It seemed to me to be a prayer book. I found the part called The Table very interesting.

The Bible is consists of many books, and portrays men as he was, and as he is. It does not "sugar coat" anything. The bible teaches us that all men are sinners, all men fall short of the glory of God.
It also teaches us that men can do nothing to get to heaven. Christ came to earth to take mans sin upon himself. We look to Christ to save us, and if we believe in him,and follow his commandments he will save us.

The bible teaches that man cannot get to heaven by being good.

The problem that has plagued us for generations is legalism. That is basically mans attempt to make rules (contrary to Gods will) for salvation. The bible states "By grace you are saved through faith".

We are not to take vengence into our own hands "Vengence is mine sayeth the Lord".

If a person read the bible and understood it, they would see the problems that false christianity has caused.
We are,whenever possible, to live in peace with all men.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Why do these three quoted passages indicate grotesque violence? If the deity of the Bible exists, who can describe anything he does as grotesque?
Any rational person with a shred of morality and conscience?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
the difference between the jew and arab is greatly exaggerated.
the old testament rings with the violence of both, rivers of blood, both declaring it "the will of god".
they have the same father abraham, but kill each other w/o ceasing.
hamas with their missiles israel with their tanks and jets.
now having said that lets take a look at detroit.
strange the dirty laundry is so much easier to see in somebody else's back yard.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Any rational person with a shred of morality and conscience?
Perhaps. Such a person would take any opportunity to provide a rationale for that view, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality