Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 05:12 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,997,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Gay marriage is just a hop skip and a jump away from the Supreme
Court so Homosexual Marriage is really a moot point. The high court
is going to decide a law suit by two California Homosexual Men against

Prop 8 , so wait with baited breath for the outcome. I think that it all a
" tempest in a tea cup myself " California Domestic Partnership gave
Gays ALL OF THE CIVIL RIGHTS OF " HETEROSUXUAL MARRIAGE "
the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT NEED TO GIVE CA - DP " it's share " of
CIVIL RIGHTS , and that my friends would make both " INSTITUTIONS
TOTALLY EQUAL place your efforts there.
The USSC may one day conceivably decide such a case, if:
*The California Supreme Court rules (later this year or early in 2012) that supporters of Proposition 8 have legal standing to appeal the District Court ruling to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
*The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals agrees to hear the appeal
*The United States Supreme Court agrees to hear the inevitable subsequent appeal, regardless of how the Ninth Circuit rules

That's a lot of "ifs". I'd say each one is more likely than not to occur, but stack them all together and it's anybody's guess what happens.

PS - The "Perry" from the case title is a woman, part of a couple of gay women, not men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 08:39 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,604,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Nope, the Bible does not say that God "loves the sinner, hates the sin".
True, that was St. Augustine. (The exact phrasing is Gandhi, but it's an adaptation of "Hate the fault, but love the Man" from City of God)

Quote:
It also doesn't say that homosexuality is a sin.
This might be true roughly speaking, if we mean in the same way it doesn't say necrophilia is a sin either. However in a more valid way, in the opinion of most of history's Christian scholars, yes it does deem homosexual sex a sin.

Although this is one where interpretation varies. I'm going by the interpretation of all Christianity until about 1965. Some prefer the interpretation given by a group of liberal Christians and linguists of the last forty years.

Quote:
And homosexuality is not just a "behavior".
It is an imprecise use of the word. "Homosexuality" apparently means the desire or the outlook, "homosexual" the person with it. It might be better to refer to "Homosexual sex", when that's what is meant, instead of "homosexuality." Still I think it's a common error.

Quote:
Lot's of Christians seem to be confused about this. Hmmm I wonder why?
Largely because repeating "homosexual sex" every time is a tad cumbersome and "sodomy" is seen as more offensive. Also because you would likely see any disagreement as a sign the person is wrong, confused, a bigot, or what have you.

Quote:
So, if your child played around a hot stove, would you condemn them to an eternity of torture if they disobeyed you? Or just stone them to death?
In my case I don't think homosexuals should be killed or legally punished at all. Thankfully no state is actually banning same-sex marriage, in the sense of arresting or fining those who enter one (and no that's not silly, interracial marriage was once a crime in many states), and I'm not opposed to some form of same-sex union. I also don't think that homosexuals necessarily go to Hell. It's plausible, to me, that they go to Hell in lower percentages than heterosexuals. I think many homosexuals quietly obey the rules of their faith, or at least try to, while many heterosexuals ignore them without concern.

Anyway it's an odd analogy. If a person feels homosexuality is as dangerous as a hot stove it's sensible they'd do what they can to discourage a person. Maybe you don't kill or hurt such a child, but you do sometimes shoo or swat them away if they're going to burn themselves. So if the person you're responding to sees a gay guy or lesbian be tempted are you saying it's okay for them to gently steer the gay/lesbian away from the object of their attraction? If so that's surprising. And if it's something the gay or lesbian person agreed to that's very tolerant of you. (In that it's tolerant of people who see their attractions as meaning things you don't even approve of)

Old 07-06-2011, 11:31 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,614,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I truly don't understand how a person can actually worship and follow a religion that so despises gay people? I was so naive in the past and thought that religion wanted people to love everybody and now I realize that Christianty is more about hating others than anything else How can anybody actually continue to follow this and live with yourself?
Weak minded people always need to be told what to believe. Also if "God" were so against homosexuality, he wouldn't have created them in the first place now would he? (Ask any gay person and they'll tell you they were born that way, just like heterosexual people are.)

Old 07-07-2011, 05:22 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,414,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
Welcome to planet earth!....LOL.

Now if you really read into the Bible...and not so much what I said here...and then looked at my words in context.reflection to the Bible...You would see more my view....as Jesus said..when Kicking the IDOL of Money out of his Fathers house of worship in that day..mad and Yelling..."You are making a den of robbers and thieves and Evildoers and sinners"....cause that is what is born from the idol....Bizzarre?....yep..but it is true?....2000 years after?..doing the same things for the same reasons?

So let us attack the root cause.....not the product of the root!...the product will eventually root/cancil itself out..as they who practice sin and evil gain the rewards of it...which is death....Those who do not practice sin nor evil or idolatry or breaking Gods word and will and or commandments...would have to put down money...because it is a sin..or breaks a commandment of God...and we are suppose to be following them laws and commandments to the letter ...all of them..and become like God in giving and sharing and caring.......but because we break some or all of those commandments today liberally speaking...does not help us, if we do not see the consequences of our actions, and correct them over time...which is barring witness and are "More demons being born, more sin and more evil abounding under that idol" in "opposition of the truth of God"....wonder why they do not see the signs?....bizzarre is a weak word...

If you were molested by a Gay Pedophile ...and was forced to accept that as something of merit to honour as your own step father..constantly by the word ... HONOUR thy Mother and Father...which I seem to only have been wrongly subjected to...for money....then disturbed it is.....and it seems my real incestual father who was devorced because of his sin onto my sisters...wasn't really the reason for the devorce from my Mother...My Mother devorced my Father because he had no money....But she then chose to marry a pedophile molesting Gay man....who I told before the wedlock what he did to me....and she ignored it ...for over 30 years..listening to his lies....trying to make me accept him/it....and always telling me he/it is a good provider.....

Disturbed?....who is desturbed in this ?....Yah...So I cling to my God as best I can....sowing seeds..and trying to find that God of Life, I have been denied, because of these Demons not letting me be in peace, nor health, nor happiness, most of my life or walk on this world....Yep...what creates them?....The engraven imaged thing they believe they need to have life with..."which God gives freely".....Pediphile is now dead due to sickness brought on by his own stupidity in pleasing himself.itself the wrong way!!...the truth is now known to my Mother about him/it....mother still says stupid things about that one being a good provider of wealth...and I still have to correct her when she does!...cause she says she believes in Christ....and yet she will not sell it all, nor will she Give it all away....So lies and liars and demons are part of my family tree....and it says this will be in the Bible book....wonder why?

Bent...disturbed...and truely telling of the accounting of my life.....who is living a oddity or oddissey?....wonder why?...and it all parallels something of this Book...in a opposite form...wonder why?...but in that opposite path of my life...I have come more into the understanding of Jesus, and God,...and I am not alone...I seen the defiled children hiden...I know..cause I was there...I am one...and there are many!!!

So "suffer the children who come onto me"...is now understud!....disturbing it is!,,, when does it stop?

That is what I feel is disturbing...it doesn't, if we promote and adore, and allow perversions such as this to continue....for all demons will say...I was born this way..and continue to do those disturbing things....

yep...and wars will be waged to try to rid the world of such people whom support this practice of allowing sexual ludeness to be profitable, and allowable under that IDOLIC SYMBOLIZUM...in any way shape or form.....it is undebaitable.....once you see the defiled children, and animals..and the sicknesses brought on by the sexual ludeness...we all know is the cause of the plagues....So stop doing what causes it...Should be the LOVE for ALL and ALL in LOVE of Life...we should all try to abstain from doing the things that cause us woe and wrath....and those plagues!

Now about abuse....Being as I am, what I am, and how I am...when such abusive things come up to my attention...when they should not...it brings back memories I want to forget about....But It seems I have to pick up the sword to defend my stand.....while they abuse me more!..oh they are on tv, radio and transmittion lines and waves , constantly reminding me of something that should not be...but is...and there has to be a reason for ...and there is....it is just that these supposed intelligent people, will not even point at the IDOL...nor will they attest to the attrosities being hiden...which have been exposed..and continue to be done...with impunity......why?....debased thinking thinkers....Polluting not only the Earth, but the airwaves and all minds....saying this Gay and Lesbian behavior is love...and we have to accept it or be cast out as a disturbed person.....why if I stand with Jesus and God, and or am seeking them...and have a truth which has kept me safe from them, although they try to pervert my mind....God and Jesus perfect my understanding of them.....for to know them is to know the opposite has to exist....Somewhere?...and so here it is....plain and simple....the opposers of God and Christ and truth...all here and now!...wonder why?

Who is disturbed now?...and how should I measure truth, and inact Judgement?....I say Let God and Christ Judge them....But I know it is not gonna be something to dance about in Glee!,,,that is for sure!
I'm sorry for what happened to you as a child. That's terrible.

But your step-father was not gay. If he was sexually abusing your sister and your mother as well as you, he was a heterosexual child molestor.

The vast majority of men who molest children (either boys, girls or both) are heterosexual men who are attracted to adult women but abuse children opportunistically.

Those men who are solely attracted to children, either girls or boys or both, do NOT have adult sexual attractions so are neither heterosexual or homosexual - they are pedophiles.

All the research backs this up.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:47 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,804,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

This might be true roughly speaking, if we mean in the same way it doesn't say necrophilia is a sin either. However in a more valid way, in the opinion of most of history's Christian scholars, yes it does deem homosexual sex a sin.

Although this is one where interpretation varies. I'm going by the interpretation of all Christianity until about 1965. Some prefer the interpretation given by a group of liberal Christians and linguists of the last forty years.
Actually, you have that backwards. It wasn't until 1958 that verses like 1 Corinthians 6:9 started referring to homosexuals. The entire Reformation universally translated that verse as masturbators (that's a large, important chunk of Christian history). And during Paul's day, it referred to pagan prostitutes and pederasty. Even Paul's contemporaries like Philo who was an expert on Jewish law understood it as this meaning when he compared it to the Mosaic law. It was Conservative Bible publishers who altered the meaning of those verses to attack gays, not liberals altering them to support gays.

Just because for a period of time the Catholic Church opposed male on male sex doesn't mean a whole lot considering 1) Augustine is the one who pushed the anti-sex doctrine even among heterosexuals. He's really the one that made the Church so opposed to sex for so long and 2) The Church also thought the Earth was geocentric for hundreds of years. There are countless examples of the Church and Christian history being wrong. Even if most people viewed same-sex sex as a wrong, that's argumentum ad popularum. Doesn't mean they were right.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,238,673 times
Quote:
I'm sorry for what happened to you as a child. That's terrible.

But your step-father was not gay. If he was sexually abusing your sister and your mother as well as you, he was a heterosexual child molestor.

The vast majority of men who molest children (either boys, girls or both) are heterosexual men who are attracted to adult women but abuse children opportunistically.

Those men who are solely attracted to children, either girls or boys or both, do NOT have adult sexual attractions so are neither heterosexual or homosexual - they are pedophiles.

All the research backs this up.

Yes it is bizzarre and terrible as you say...So what happened to me as a child, must pail in comparrison to what Happened to Jesus, and eventually to God...to make them try to move backwards in time..to a point of understanding, Just before the wrong direction was taken....Did they fail?....I think not..for surely it is not only me who has suffered these demons and devils, as I said there are many....So the sexual ludeness and abuse stands as forbidden to some minds, hearts, and spirits!!!..what happened to the angels with Lot and his wife and family is Just the tip of the iceburg so to speak....Now because Jesus said let em be...he also said to let the others be as well...That would include plant growers, righteous doers, and Holy people....But that is not the case today from where I am standing...if they prohibite certain plants from being sown and their sowers imprisoned or cut off from trade and or having any wealth, and or repute and denie our belief system of truths....using warfare, and underhanded means to surplant and or take out the truth...and or the holy or righteous...and or living for free.....these estates are now under fire by the system of Idolatry...and something of a monument made (monument of death) 9/11 WTC....is not a Bin Laden event souly...for I have seen movies (Lord of the rings) which detail a simular event of the two towers falling...this idea is not Bin Ladens own idea...it is a constant truth that happens always...on this world...because it is not wanted by God to exist....if we worship that thing...or make it so important that we kill people or other living things for it or because of it...and that is exactly what is being done....and what is said by God about that sacrifice on the altar?...to let the blood go into the ground, and not to touch it......do they listen?...NO they suck it up and sell it to burn...which is now polluting everything.....even themselves!....do you think they care about that?...they don't even blink!!!

I'm sorry...any abuser or sexually lude individual that prays on Children or other humans..No matter their gender/creed/colour/ or mind, is to my mind a demon..or devil...This devil who attacted me was Gay....and his Gay life in secret...Killed him.

Now I have even more stuff to say...about Gay people..being either male or female or other....as My younger Brother was once attacted by a drunk Gay male...But my Brother beat that one up..and called the police...attempted rape.

My older brother was raped by so called friends...(pertending to be his friend)...with a date rape drug Possibly used on him they abused him...and now he has Hep C....possibly.

All my Life I have been confronted by Gay people...and not in the best of light...do they let me be?...No they hate me because I hate them...because they hate God and Jesus and others who keep telling them to stop doing what they do...but they do not listen to reason...nor do they contimplate the woe nor the wrath that comes onto the world because of this mindless act of sexual ludeness by these demonic beings...onto all.

I ain't sinless enough to stand before God...But I can put in my two pennies...and possibly envoke a word or two or some act of justice out of the Highest truth sayer..God.
..so I am not mislead by them...

1. if we have drought...then something is wrong.
2. if we have fire season...then something is wrong.
3. if we have plagues and pestilences...then something is wrong.
4. if we have wars made by liars and corruption and oppression, and roomers of them being made,...then something is wrong.

5. If a child cannot go out and sow a certain seed freely for God's kingdom to come in peace health and happiness....EDEN...and its multiples shared and or Given!!!...then something is wrong.

6. If humankind keeps holding onto an Engravened Imaged coin, as something more important than life and the livng things, and the enviroments they now pollute for it.....then something is wrong!

7. If Children are being sold, sexually molested, and raped,...hidden..and denied that chance of choice over the four states Jesus mentioned..Evil, filthy, Righteous, and holy....as their body is defiled, their minds are corrupted, and their spirit twisted because of it.....then something is wrong!...

8. If we have flooding...something is wrong.

Change...how does one change that list to something right?....I say attack the root which supports and allows or makes it all...$....and that should make a better world order, once people see what their hand supports when using this trinket or wealth system using an IDOL told not to.

If God says something is Good...then it is always Good...and if God wants Good to make Good...then what is Good must remain Good....Thus I cannot sin in the way God asks me to..in murdering them...for it is a commandment Thou shall not Kill.....But look at what happens when certain Demons are left to blossem out of control....chaos!

Acts 10:15...Not to profane anything God has made or called clean and or Good....and Genesis 9:3 states all green plants are Good, according to God's own words...and he gave them all...in all for all Living things to have....and so they all need to be sown by the sower...by all for all living things God gave!!!....that should make sense...and correct an error made by Humankind trying to wipe out certain plants..and making us pay for what has been given freely by God to all for all..by all..But no...it doesn't seem to change ...because there is too much profits and gains to be made off of the sick and suffering that arrises from not putting that plant back where it belongs.
And the Idol or money is more important than the health care of the planet and or the people and or the living things which are our neighbours... now enslaved or slaughtered or polluted onto or for that IDOL....so they say ..?..or is it so they do?

And under that twisted stupidity...they bore children into SIN and EVIL...and defile them in that.

Now if Gay people want to be Gay...then why are they wanting children?...and thus to have children..they have devised a way to take children from their real parents....so war, and other means to detatch the child from a family is made...Laws instilled...and services made to take children away and put them in their charge....why?...when the Plant Grower is imprisoned daily in that system, and the holy are belittled in that system to....voting in another imposter....saying we are Free?...liberty and Freedom for ALL?....But more prisons are being built..no doubt for those free people...eh?....and free trade?...another lie from the liars club.

So let us draw lines to the truth...I can understand God more when reading Mathew 6:24 out loud...because I know God sees all the attrosities Human devils do under it....should they be allowed to enter the heavens and spread this madness onto other worlds?

I think Not...I think it should end here...and I am sure eventually it will...for I can see the four estates of filthy, Evil, righteous, and Holy....and I know why Jesus said let em be.....cause and effect....once you study them all...you find that path through their errors!...it is now oh so appearent...and yet they do not see, nor do they comprehend what it is they are doing....But it has all been said in the Bible...and so...there it is...the truth.

Thank you Jesus for that....more woe and wrath and pestilences are coming..the more Gay and Lesbian and other sexually Lude demons push into places they are not wanted...and or try to change the word of God to suit themselves....there is a warning about that practice...need I say more?...we are not to remove nor add to the word of God..or change things in that to suit ourselfish sin...we are to conform to the word of God.....that means we change....or else.

Last edited by Sir Les; 07-07-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 07-08-2011, 06:29 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,414,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
Yes it is bizzarre and terrible as you say...So what happened to me as a child, must pail in comparrison to what Happened to Jesus, and eventually to God...to make them try to move backwards in time..to a point of understanding, Just before the wrong direction was taken....Did they fail?....I think not..for surely it is not only me who has suffered these demons and devils, as I said there are many....So the sexual ludeness and abuse stands as forbidden to some minds, hearts, and spirits!!!..what happened to the angels with Lot and his wife and family is Just the tip of the iceburg so to speak....Now because Jesus said let em be...he also said to let the others be as well...That would include plant growers, righteous doers, and Holy people....But that is not the case today from where I am standing...if they prohibite certain plants from being sown and their sowers imprisoned or cut off from trade and or having any wealth, and or repute and denie our belief system of truths....using warfare, and underhanded means to surplant and or take out the truth...and or the holy or righteous...and or living for free.....these estates are now under fire by the system of Idolatry...and something of a monument made (monument of death) 9/11 WTC....is not a Bin Laden event souly...for I have seen movies (Lord of the rings) which detail a simular event of the two towers falling...this idea is not Bin Ladens own idea...it is a constant truth that happens always...on this world...because it is not wanted by God to exist....if we worship that thing...or make it so important that we kill people or other living things for it or because of it...and that is exactly what is being done....and what is said by God about that sacrifice on the altar?...to let the blood go into the ground, and not to touch it......do they listen?...NO they suck it up and sell it to burn...which is now polluting everything.....even themselves!....do you think they care about that?...they don't even blink!!!

I'm sorry...any abuser or sexually lude individual that prays on Children or other humans..No matter their gender/creed/colour/ or mind, is to my mind a demon..or devil...This devil who attacted me was Gay....and his Gay life in secret...Killed him.

Now I have even more stuff to say...about Gay people..being either male or female or other....as My younger Brother was once attacted by a drunk Gay male...But my Brother beat that one up..and called the police...attempted rape.

My older brother was raped by so called friends...(pertending to be his friend)...with a date rape drug Possibly used on him they abused him...and now he has Hep C....possibly.

All my Life I have been confronted by Gay people...and not in the best of light...do they let me be?...No they hate me because I hate them...because they hate God and Jesus and others who keep telling them to stop doing what they do...but they do not listen to reason...nor do they contimplate the woe nor the wrath that comes onto the world because of this mindless act of sexual ludeness by these demonic beings...onto all.

I ain't sinless enough to stand before God...But I can put in my two pennies...and possibly envoke a word or two or some act of justice out of the Highest truth sayer..God.
..so I am not mislead by them...

1. if we have drought...then something is wrong.
2. if we have fire season...then something is wrong.
3. if we have plagues and pestilences...then something is wrong.
4. if we have wars made by liars and corruption and oppression, and roomers of them being made,...then something is wrong.

5. If a child cannot go out and sow a certain seed freely for God's kingdom to come in peace health and happiness....EDEN...and its multiples shared and or Given!!!...then something is wrong.

6. If humankind keeps holding onto an Engravened Imaged coin, as something more important than life and the livng things, and the enviroments they now pollute for it.....then something is wrong!

7. If Children are being sold, sexually molested, and raped,...hidden..and denied that chance of choice over the four states Jesus mentioned..Evil, filthy, Righteous, and holy....as their body is defiled, their minds are corrupted, and their spirit twisted because of it.....then something is wrong!...

8. If we have flooding...something is wrong.

Change...how does one change that list to something right?....I say attack the root which supports and allows or makes it all...$....and that should make a better world order, once people see what their hand supports when using this trinket or wealth system using an IDOL told not to.

If God says something is Good...then it is always Good...and if God wants Good to make Good...then what is Good must remain Good....Thus I cannot sin in the way God asks me to..in murdering them...for it is a commandment Thou shall not Kill.....But look at what happens when certain Demons are left to blossem out of control....chaos!

Acts 10:15...Not to profane anything God has made or called clean and or Good....and Genesis 9:3 states all green plants are Good, according to God's own words...and he gave them all...in all for all Living things to have....and so they all need to be sown by the sower...by all for all living things God gave!!!....that should make sense...and correct an error made by Humankind trying to wipe out certain plants..and making us pay for what has been given freely by God to all for all..by all..But no...it doesn't seem to change ...because there is too much profits and gains to be made off of the sick and suffering that arrises from not putting that plant back where it belongs.
And the Idol or money is more important than the health care of the planet and or the people and or the living things which are our neighbours... now enslaved or slaughtered or polluted onto or for that IDOL....so they say ..?..or is it so they do?

And under that twisted stupidity...they bore children into SIN and EVIL...and defile them in that.

Now if Gay people want to be Gay...then why are they wanting children?...and thus to have children..they have devised a way to take children from their real parents....so war, and other means to detatch the child from a family is made...Laws instilled...and services made to take children away and put them in their charge....why?...when the Plant Grower is imprisoned daily in that system, and the holy are belittled in that system to....voting in another imposter....saying we are Free?...liberty and Freedom for ALL?....But more prisons are being built..no doubt for those free people...eh?....and free trade?...another lie from the liars club.

So let us draw lines to the truth...I can understand God more when reading Mathew 6:24 out loud...because I know God sees all the attrosities Human devils do under it....should they be allowed to enter the heavens and spread this madness onto other worlds?

I think Not...I think it should end here...and I am sure eventually it will...for I can see the four estates of filthy, Evil, righteous, and Holy....and I know why Jesus said let em be.....cause and effect....once you study them all...you find that path through their errors!...it is now oh so appearent...and yet they do not see, nor do they comprehend what it is they are doing....But it has all been said in the Bible...and so...there it is...the truth.

Thank you Jesus for that....more woe and wrath and pestilences are coming..the more Gay and Lesbian and other sexually Lude demons push into places they are not wanted...and or try to change the word of God to suit themselves....there is a warning about that practice...need I say more?...we are not to remove nor add to the word of God..or change things in that to suit ourselfish sin...we are to conform to the word of God.....that means we change....or else.
I hope you get some counselling.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:48 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,604,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Actually, you have that backwards. It wasn't until 1958 that verses like 1 Corinthians 6:9 started referring to homosexuals.
Perhaps, but the view doesn't rise or fall on one statement. Also the Church Fathers and Justinian predate 1958.

Quote:
The entire Reformation universally translated that verse as masturbators (that's a large, important chunk of Christian history).
I suppose, but it's still just five of Christianity's twenty centuries. (Or five of sixteen if you prefer to start with Theodosius I)

Quote:
And during Paul's day, it referred to pagan prostitutes and pederasty.
I believe most homosexuality than was what we'd call prostitution or pederasty. It was common for relationships to involve, or at least start, with a grown man and a fourteen-year-old as I recall. In parts of Sicily a ten-year-old even. (Maybe sixteen was more normative than fourteen, it's been awhile since I took Roman history)

Quote:
Even Paul's contemporaries like Philo who was an expert on Jewish law understood it as this meaning when he compared it to the Mosaic law.
Doesn't really change as much as you want. The Gospels are fairly clear that sex is within heterosexual marriage as was virtually all of Christianity until the 1960s.

Quote:
It was Conservative Bible publishers who altered the meaning of those verses to attack gays, not liberals altering them to support gays.
Okay fine. Again it doesn't change the history of Christianity or how people read the Bible before the twentieth century. You've never shown any indication the Christian world accepted homosexuality before this or before the term "Fundamentalism" even existed. (And I'm aware of John Boswell, but I don't buy his ideas)

Quote:
Just because for a period of time the Catholic Church opposed male on male sex
I think the beginning of Christianity, or the fourth century at least, to now is more than "a period of time."

Quote:
1) Augustine is the one who pushed the anti-sex doctrine even among heterosexuals. He's really the one that made the Church so opposed to sex for so long
Eusebius made statements against homosexuality before Augustine was born. The. Early Christian women were at times killed for their celibacy. Look up the term "virgin martyrs."

Augustine went more extreme than most, but the value of celibacy and agreement homosexuality was not acceptable predates him.

Quote:
The Church also thought the Earth was geocentric for hundreds of years.
Ridiculous analogies don't become less ridiculous by repetition. Sexual morality or ethics or taboos are not equivalent to a fact about astronomy.

Quote:
There are countless examples of the Church and Christian history being wrong. Even if most people viewed same-sex sex as a wrong, that's argumentum ad popularum. Doesn't mean they were right.
That the standard interpretation of the Bible, Tradition, and the Councils says it's wrong makes it wrong within orthodox Christianity. You are an almost admittedly heterodox Christian so you can think that's "argumentum ad popularum" or whatever. Doesn't change the facts.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 AM

290 posts, read 389,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I truly don't understand how a person can actually worship and follow a religion that so despises gay people? I was so naive in the past and thought that religion wanted people to love everybody and now I realize that Christianty is more about hating others than anything else How can anybody actually continue to follow this and live with yourself?
I'm not sure I agree. Firstly, Christianity is a HUGE religion which makes up a third of the world's population and is made up of thousands of denominations. You've generalized Christianity to (what I think is) an unfair extent. Secondly, Not all Christians hate gay people which suggests it isn't the religion that hates them, it's the people themselves - they may have their own reasons and are using religion as an excuse or have misinterpreted scripture/church.

I went to a Catholic high school and now attend a Jesuit College. Everyone knows Catholics are pretty set in their ways and yet the Catholics I've known have not hated gay people. It seems as though your experience of Christians has been rather negative. Maybe you could visit different churches of different denominations and hopefully you will gain a broader (and hopefully a more positive) perspective and understanding. I wish you luck

Old 07-08-2011, 04:11 PM

664 posts, read 857,683 times
i don't hate gay people at all. i don't believe in it, but i don't hate the people. do you understand this? i serve a God that loves all people. there are christians who hate gays though. that's not the love of God in them though.

i have gay friends. they know i'm a christian. i don't condemn them. it's all good you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality