Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 01:07 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times

Advertisements

I truly don't understand how a person can actually worship and follow a religion that so despises gay people? I was so naive in the past and thought that religion wanted people to love everybody and now I realize that Christianty is more about hating others than anything else How can anybody actually continue to follow this and live with yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 01:34 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I truly don't understand how a person can actually worship and follow a religion that so despises gay people? I was so naive in the past and thought that religion wanted people to love everybody and now I realize that Christianty is more about hating others than anything else How can anybody actually continue to follow this and live with yourself?

I really don't know or understand it myself. But it was the main reason I left the Roman Catholic Church after my Confirmation....

I think I was 12 or 13 years old and thought that this type of hateful rhetoric was NOT what religion.....IMHO....was supposed to be about.....

So I left the church....because it seemed more intent on teaching hateful and judgemental attitudes towards your neighbor rather than loving and helping each other.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:42 AM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Fortunately not all Christians condemn homosexuality, but there are still far too many like this. THE CULT OF HOMOSEXUALITY

Old 05-14-2011, 02:59 AM

176 posts, read 288,537 times
You should check out the thread about this in the Christianity section. Quite interesting, to say the least.

For the record, I despise anything that promotes discrimination toward anyone, which is the majority of religion unfortunately.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:19 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Interesting that you say "worship a religion" and not "worship a god".

Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlindwarf View Post
You should check out the thread about this in the Christianity section. Quite interesting, to say the least.

For the record, I despise anything that promotes discrimination toward anyone, which is the majority of religion unfortunately.
Fear mongering and vilification of gays and lesbians seems to have become almost a "religion" of it's own these days amongst certain so called Christian anti-gay groups like NOM and FRC etc.

These people actually get paid to spread ignorance, bigotry, myths and misrepresentation of gays and lesbians.

How sad is that?

Old 05-14-2011, 04:01 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Fortunately not all Christians condemn homosexuality, but there are still far too many like this. THE CULT OF HOMOSEXUALITY
That site was vile but not nearly as bad as the TOXIC Family Research Council whose co founder later was caught being....well....let's just say GAY himself......George Rekers....

The site is pure lies, innuendo and bigotry it's also named an official "HATE GROUP" by The Southern Poverty Law Center.

Family Research Council

Here's a bit about "Georgie"(hypocrite) Rekers>>>>>

Top 10 Anti-Gay Politicians Caught Being Gay: Anti-Gay Activists Out of The Closet

This site from liberated Christians is closer to factual and informative>>>>>

The naturalness of homosexuality Sexual Identity Hard-Wired by Genetics,

Old 05-14-2011, 04:04 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
Quote:
Don't you know? It's in the bible so it must be true.

It's easier to condemn than it is to love for some people. They don't know who they are yet.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:09 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Ignorant religious beliefs let people do a lot of things that a reasonable human being wouldn't.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:50 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
First thing believing certain actions are wrong, or that certain desires should not be acted on, is not the same as despising those who do them. I don't despise drunks or adulterers or even women who've had abortions. Christianity doesn't mean loving every action people do or desire people have and no sensible system of thought could be that.

Little children often desire to bite each other, but they are taught "indoctrinated" against that. They are also taught not to follow the biological urge to poop in the corner, but are instead to limit defecation to the toilet. In later life sex becomes an issue. Most would agree, I think, that a teenager should not grope or proposition every person he or she desires to grope or proposition.

When it comes to sex different religions and cultures have different mores or taboos. You can make these taboos a matter of "hatred" if you wish, but this is neither inevitable nor really fair. Certain taboos relate to notions of hygiene, primitive or modern, like how some seculars have a taboo against "unprotected sex" or how Biblical culture prohibited sex with a woman during her period. Others relate to the culture's understanding of gender or fitness. Like how some cultures have strong notions of the union between masculine and feminine, even if they don't always associate gender to sex. (So female can be masculine, males feminine, or something in between) Or on fitness there are cultures where the men are expecting to fight or compete in order to "win a mate."

Still it is true there's like the Westboro Baptists or whatever who make their taboo or system of sexual ethics intense and hateful. Rather than simply saying "this is wrong" they go more for "and you are evil or should be annihilated." Although I don't think an "eliminationist mindset" is unique to Christians. Muslims in many countries are more likely to be "eliminationist" to gays. And I imagine you can find many atheists here who desire certain religion-related behaviors to be bad/hateful and so want them to be eliminated from the Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality