Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,850,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are not wrong. Religions have been delinquent in their duty to revise the spiritual understanding as our knowledge and understanding of ourselves and the world progressed. They stagnated at the 3rd century level of ancient ignorance and have praised that ignorance as a sign of faith ever since.
I'll go with that...

I imagine there are 4 general stages of spiritual awareness.

1. True barbarism: living day to day as an animal for selfish gain.

2. Religious: following/buying into an institution.

3. Agnosticsim/atheism: the realization that institutions are wrong and subsequently rejecting them.

4. True enlightenment: a theoretical higher perspective with a true understanding of the universe, it's interconnectedness and our place in it.

I can't get out of #3 myself, but I'm still young, and I'm working on it...

Still, I see no good reason for celebrating a progression from #1 to #2, especially when many African tribes were between #2 and #4 before colonization...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 02:12 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,127,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'll go with that...

3. Agnosticsim/atheism: the realization that institutions are wrong and subsequently rejecting them.

4. True enlightenment: a theoretical higher perspective with a true understanding of the universe, it's interconnectedness and our place in it.

Still, I see no good reason for celebrating a progression from #1 to #2, especially when many African tribes were between #2 and #4 before colonization...
I see 3 separate possibilities for stages of spiritual Awareness, one as you put it.

The second:

2. Awareness of possibilities beyond the physical world

3.Concept of superior beings

4. Worship of many gods

The third:

2. Awareness of a supreme being

3. Searching for the supreme being

4. Finding that whom they have reason to believe is the Supreme being and submitting to him

Old 05-16-2011, 02:43 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,591,501 times
Quote:
There is a strong correlation with eductation and religious belief. The more you know, the more you know religion is B.S.
There might be a correlation, but there are exceptions there too. Singapore is a pretty educated society and tends to score as fairly religious. Poland's "Education Index" is listed as better than Britain's according to the UN, but they tend to come out more religious than the British.

Religiosity Highest in World's Poorest Nations
International Human Development Indicators - UNDP

Old 05-16-2011, 03:41 PM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
I'll go with that...

My take from the atheist forum:

(1. = Spiritual Infancy)

1. True barbarism: living day to day virtually as an animal for selfish gain.

(2. = Spiritual childhood)

(3.= Spiritual Adolescence)

3. Agnosticsim/atheism: the realization that institutions are wrong and subsequently rejecting them in a honest search for truth.

(4. = Spiritual maturity)

Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,850,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
There might be a correlation, but there are exceptions there too. Singapore is a pretty educated society and tends to score as fairly religious. Poland's "Education Index" is listed as better than Britain's according to the UN, but they tend to come out more religious than the British.

Those pesky execptions to the rule!

Maybe if I ignore them, they will just go away...

Old 05-16-2011, 06:13 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,127,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

I would also like to point out another exception to the correlation, but in the opposite direction

Using the previous posts it follows that the world's poorest regions shoul be the most Religious. The Pine Ridge Oglala Reservation in South Dakota is the second poorest region in the Western hemisphere. While it does have some very religious people most have given up on religion and are now facing epidemic alcoholism and suicides.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:15 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,489,995 times
They're more backwards. That's the non-PC explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality