Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:13 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Statistics show that people that abuse children and often women have a history of also abusing animals.
I've heard that too. Humans span a broad spectrum ranging from sociopaths to empaths.

Of course, I don't claim to have perfect empathy but the animal thing hit me like a ton of bricks one day (out of the blue). It was like a spiritual awakening or something. Changed everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I understand, perhaps a bit better than some, the full meaning and impact of "the circle of Life (and Death)". Simply put, the continuation of life for some organisms requires the death of others. Period. Paragraph. End of story.

Now, with that said, I am extremely intolerant of the unnecessary infliction of pain, suffering, fear or anxiety on ANY animal lifeform. The easiest way to get this ancient, 6-foot, 250-lb. NDN to jump smack-dab into your space is to abuse, mistreat or terrorize a human or animal in my presence. I have similar views regarding some behaviors towards the plant kingdom, but this is not the place or time.

I don't kill ANY creature unless I really need to. If I must kill, I do it as quickly and as painlessly as possible. I take the time to express explain my need. I haven't yet extended this to meat and poultry that I purchase from a supermarket, but the operative term is "yet"...

-- Nighteyes, the Attitudinous
Thanks for sharing and for the "yet" .

Question: If one can live much healthier with zero animals being bred for captivity and slaughter, why would one pursue dietary practices which support animal cruelty? That's the question I had to ask myself.

I haven't consumed animals nor animal by-products for about 2 years (after 50 plus years of major meat eating).

Was it a hard transition? Not as hard as you might think. AND it's cheaper than a meat diet (and I'm healthier and less overweight).

Here's another great (shorter) vid:

YouTube - ‪Meet Your Meat (Full Version; All Parts)‬‏

Old 05-24-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
The suffering of the day, shall spill over to the night, a soul weakened and exposed, cowering in a corner adjacent to our common plights, the tears sadden, the screams send chills, it's in these moments when my heart stills, it's always these moments which seem to be the usual these days, a callousness that comes from overstepping others, along our un-merry ways...
Wow, you are quite the poet!

I admit I find callousness, well... "useful". I'm glad for the ability to compartmentalize my thoughts and only take in as much as I can handle. Yet, there seems to be great joy in carrying another's burdens - to a point.

I guess a good start is to cause no pain. Then move on to the stopping of pain not caused by ourselves (or at least to attempt to).

Old 05-24-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The religions I am most familiar with all stress that humans are to be the stewards and caretakers of this Earth.
The religion I am most familiar contains the bloody slaughter of men, women, children and animals from one cover of it's holy book to the other. Yet, it ALSO contains very high moral teachings and the caretaker roll of humans which you speak of.

I think we tend to see (in these religions/books) what we are and sometimes overlook the bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
As caretakers one of our concerns should be that we do all we can to preserve all living creatures and to be certain to do what we can to help any of these in our care to live in comfort and be free from suffering.

We are doing a very poor job as caretakers. even sadder when we deliberately cause suffering to fill our fat stomachs.
Well said.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
If you believe in god, they you must realize that he is the ultimate abuser of animals because he invented

"eat and be eaten"

a law of nature where animals devour smaller animals, and are devoured by larger animals. Can you imaging worse torture.

If there is a god, he is one cruel son-of-a-gun.
I don't believe in the traditional "separate" God who is out there somewhere. As a panENtheist I believe God is an integral part of all consciousness. In short - only God suffers.

But conscience is universal and belief in deities is not required to have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality