Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,640,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Both. If one "brick" is out of place, the whole thing can crumble if it's not taken care of. In the smaller communities though, people are more apt to take care of each other than with the larger communities. An example, I grew up in a "don't blink or you'll miss it" town and everyone knew everyone. When I went on my own, I moved to a much larger city and people tend to mind their own business more and could care less about the other guy. Sure, you'll have your close circle of friends but that isn't the whole community.
I moved to a small town 12 years ago. Really different! Very hard to hide so the criminal element is very small and sense of community is MUCH stronger. Yet today people in my small town can communicate live with Egyptian democracy advocates. Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 02:36 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,043,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I moved to a small town 12 years ago. Really different! Very hard to hide so the criminal element is very small and sense of community is MUCH stronger. Yet today people in my small town can communicate live with Egyptian democracy advocates. Wow!
Yeah, small towns are a whole different world than the bigger cities. I miss it but then I also have the convenience the big city gives me.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,357,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
"Most people spend their time providing for their day-to-day life,
starting a family, enjoying their leisure time, and so on. From
time to time, of course, they do something for society, but in
general they take care of their own affairs and work for
themselves. And yet, whether they like it or not, they live in a
community, and if troubles erupt in this community, their
personal possessions, even their life, may no longer be safe.
To focus on one's own interests, on one's own family and
possessions, is not therefore the best way to safeguard them,
since there is always the risk that events will take place in
society to sweep away everything in their path. History provides
us with numerous examples. Let's be clear about this:
individualism is not a worthwhile solution for anyone. The only
worthwhile solution is for each person to endeavour to do
something to improve collective life. Provided that happens,
then, yes, each individual will be safe."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov

Agree? Disagree? Discuss!
I believe to improve collective life, you must start as an individualist. Having your own family life in good order provides you with the opportunity to expand your endevours into the community at large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality