Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times

Advertisements

In the New Testament, I seem to recall god saying to Jesus, "You are my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased." That was a nice thing to say.

Do you have any other examples in the Bible, Torah, or Quran where your god says something nice?

I am looking for a DIRECT QUOTE attributed to your god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Genesis 2:18 "And the LORD God said, 'It is not good that the man should be alone. I will make him a helpmeet for him.'"

Surely that's a nice thing.

(Incidentally, "I seem to recall" was a favorite of Erich von Daniken's. Why do you ask for a direct quote, when you yourself don't provide one to back your own posting?)

Old 03-29-2012, 06:55 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times
Does it have to be something God said, or can it be something he did.

I freely admit I don't know the Bible as well as I should. I am surpised you haven't received more replies.

The one thing that comes to mind right now is (and I probably won't quote it exactly right) "For the Lord so loved the world that he sacrificed his only begotten Son". I"m only taking a stab at this because nobody else has.

I am sure you can find the flaw in the idea behind sacrificing His Son, but at the very least, my reply will bump this back up to the top for half a second so someone else might also be tempted to take a shot.

Have a great night.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:41 AM

526 posts, read 692,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Why do you ask for a direct quote, when you yourself don't provide one to back your own posting?)
Because his position is proven correct when there are no passages describing the God as a nice guy.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:46 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I am surpised you haven't received more replies.
A question diminishing almighty, glorious God to a "guy" isn't worth replying to.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Does it have to be something God said, or can it be something he did.

I freely admit I don't know the Bible as well as I should. I am surpised you haven't received more replies.

The one thing that comes to mind right now is (and I probably won't quote it exactly right) "For the Lord so loved the world that he sacrificed his only begotten Son". I"m only taking a stab at this because nobody else has.
Thanks for the answer. In my opinion, the people who wrote the bible said the their god loved the world and sacrificed his only son, but their god did not say it explicitly.

I am looking for a specific example where god said something nice.

For example, as I have pointed out before, the first sentence in chapter 31 on the Book of Numbers is a specific example of god being mean and nasty. Is there a similar example where god is nice?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:26 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
In the New Testament, I seem to recall god saying to Jesus, "You are my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased." That was a nice thing to say.

Do you have any other examples in the Bible, Torah, or Quran where your god says something nice?

I am looking for a DIRECT QUOTE attributed to your god.
GENESIS God says to man and woman.."I give you everything"....But some how it has all been stollen away, and now made to pay those born into it...wonder why that is?....any way God seems a pritty fare GOD to just give everything to humankind.."man and woman"...I guess they forgot how to Give like God, to bring things to this high a price to live...but that is just me being me..and them being them...I Guess.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
GENESIS God says to man and woman.."I give you everything.
Very good answer, Les. In the first part of Genesis, your god really is a nice guy. Do you have any more examples?

I remember during Christmas 1968 the three Apollo astronauts were orbiting around the moon and they read from the Book of Genesis, and it was very moving. That was the first time we had seen the Earth from a distance and it showed us how beautiful our world was.

1968 was a tough year with the Tet offensive in Vietnam, riots in Chicago and other cities, and the assinations of King and Kennedy. However it ended with two wonderful events - the election of Richard Nixon as President and the astronauts circling the moon - and that helped restore faith in America.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:24 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
A question diminishing almighty, glorious God to a "guy" isn't worth replying to.
God said: no more Mr Nice Guy!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:26 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
1968 was a tough year with the Tet offensive in Vietnam, riots in Chicago and other cities, and the assinations of King and Kennedy. However it ended with two wonderful events - the election of Richard Nixon as President and the astronauts circling the moon - and that helped restore faith in America.
Don't forget they brought out the new design '68 Stingray and the Chrysler street hemi that year. I was in the Tet Offensive . In your opinion, what was so great about Nixon being elected? OK, agreed Humphries or McCarthy weren't good options either. OK, serious thread drift there...

God got me through three and a half years of Vietnam, Desert Storm, and Op Iraqi Freedom without a scratch. He's a great, good God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality