Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I've been trying to figure out why it is so difficult to get believers to even listen to why we left Christianity. Even though some of us experienced decades of solid Christian belief, we are dismissed as having never believed, or never "truly" believed. No matter what evidence we bring, no matter if we are aggressive or kind, there always seems to be an invisible wall of condescending resistance to any criticism or evidence against Christianity.

This may not be a new concept to some of you, but it all fell together for me today. The pattern so clearly fits with another relationship pattern among humans that it startled me. Christianity is a form of abuser/victim codependency.

I know the word codependent seems way overused, but hear me out. Codependency is the perpetuation of an abusive relationship by two or more people, each of whom derives enough emotional support from the relationship that it outweighs the strife. In fact the strife itself fuels the emotional intensity of the relationship. Sure there are good times of singing, music, friends, and even an intense feeling of God’s presence. This is what kept us coming back and enduring the abusive side of the religion.

ExChristian.Net - Articles: The God of Abuse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 11:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
Makes sense to me. Good catch, nightflight.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:45 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
I think many of you believed or truly believed. If you want everyone to stop believing you're basically full of yourself though and are asking for a bit of hostility.

It's like I know there are Catholics who "really believed" and then became Pentecostals. Them telling me how great Pentecostalism, and how co-dependent or wrong Catholicism is, isn't going to make me think better of them. When it occurs in real life it's just going to make me think of some place I'd rather be and go there. Same if, instead of Pentecostalism, it's Mormonism or Islam or no religion.

Being irreligious or non-theist in itself does not make you brilliant or mean everyone should follow you. It is foolish to assume you're liars or were never Christian, but it's also foolish to try to dismiss everyone disinterested/unconvinced by you as codependent or crazy or ignorant.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 PM

591 posts, read 641,790 times
That article takes things WAAY out of context and twists things to fit his/her agenda.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post

Try and remember Jesus and what he went through to send his message of truth and love.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:30 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
Try and remember Jesus and what he went through to send his message of truth and love.
What did he (allegedly) go through?

Old 05-26-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
What did he (allegedly) go through?

Nightflight wants to make God out to be abusive. OK. John the Baptist was jailed and beheaded for teaching and doing his thing, and Jesus knew the trouble he was getting into to speak the truth about himself and God. God knows what it's like to suffer. ANd a lot of what Nightfall says in that article are examples of God getting angry and hating rightiously, for the sake of us. And when he does, it gets twisted by people like Nightfall that show no mercy or compassion for him.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:49 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Nightflight wants to make God out to be abusive. OK. John the Baptist was jailed and beheaded for teaching and doing his thing, and Jesus knew the trouble he was getting into to speak the truth about himself and God. God knows what it's like to suffer. ANd a lot of what Nightfall says in that article are examples of God getting angry and hating rightiously, for the sake of us. And when he does, it gets twisted by people like Nightfall that show no mercy or compassion for him.
Ahem! Again...What did he (Jesus) [allegedly] go through?

Old 05-26-2011, 03:01 PM

17,807 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
ANd a lot of what Nightfall says in that article are examples of God getting angry and hating rightiously, for the sake of us.
As a former believer turned non-believer, this strange concept is one of a million reasons I no longer believe.

From what I understand, God is omniscient. He knows (and has always known) what we were going to do. Why does God get "righteously angry" when he already knows (and has always known) what we do.

I mean, is God "righteously angry" at the anti-christ even though the anti-christ has to do what he does in order for God's "plan" to occur and for God's "prophecies" to come to pass?

The idea of "co-dependency" as a religious concept is interesting and may have some merit. It may explain to some degree why people respond to religious dogma, but the real reason believers don't want to listen to non believers is that they would rather be comforted by fairy tales than to face the cold hard facts of life and the finality of death.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:04 PM

If you look around you all you see is people denying Jesus ever suffered. He was beaten, whipped, nailed to a cross, stabbed, and left for dead. Then years later people deny it ever happened. Jesus is shown no pity, no compassion. People pass judgement on God, and crap all over him and all that he has ever loved, more than anybody that has ever lived. They treat him like he is the "God of abuse", and made to look like he's the evil one. That is the world today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality