Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:53 AM

358 posts, read 918,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
But you know what REALLY turns me off, and makes me want to run the other direction? PRIDE! There are a couple individuals I know that are utterly OVERFLOWING and gushing with self-pride.
One aspect to (at least the English) language is that dennotations of words can conflict with each other. The word pride can mean either a justified sense of self-respect (which is very positive) or an inflated sense of self-worth (pure arrogance).

To me, possessing pride, in a general sense, is simply confidence. For instance, one should take pride in his work. However, arrogance is rude, counter-productive, disrespectful, and highly annoying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The worst sin for the sinner is the sin of unbelief, because there is no chance of forgiveness without belief.

Tell you what. The rapists, murderers, and pedophiles can move into your neighborhood. I'll take those nasty old non-believers who don't commit any other sins.

Sounds like a very fair deal to both of us.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post

For our sin is cast into the deepest part of the sea... and God not only forgives us through Christ.... but He forgets.
But victims of certain crimes and the families of murdered victims have to live with the results of the crime. That's why Christianity --IF it is true that evil deeds are forgiven simply by asking -- seems like a very vile religion.
There's really no accountabilty.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
I believe all sin is treated the same. Did Jesus not die for all sins. I believe he did, no matter how great or small.
I seriously thank you for stating your opinion as an opinion and not a fact. I personally disagree but have a lot more respect for your opinion when it is not paraded as an arrogant fact!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:32 AM

443 posts, read 1,544,810 times
The greatest sin known to man:

Putting *beans* in chili.

Seriously, nothing on earth is more foul, traitorous or evil.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,318,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
But victims of certain crimes and the families of murdered victims have to live with the results of the crime. That's why Christianity --IF it is true that evil deeds are forgiven simply by asking -- seems like a very vile religion.
There's really no accountabilty.
Well, I think there is accountability in this life which is supported in the New Testament (Romans 12) through our laws etc. I think the Bible indicates that there are levels of reward or lack of them in heaven based on our actions. I don't know if this refers to before accepting Christ or after. Actually, the verse Dave references about our sins being thrown in the depth of the sea is from the Old Testament. Anyway, my point is that I think God does require accountablility in this life (through the laws of society.) And I think that even though maybe through Christ we received forgiveness from the penalty of eternal death, I'm not sure if we don't suffer some loss in the next because of our actions.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:31 PM

401 posts, read 687,007 times
Quote:
There's really no accountability.

So are you saying hell is the best part of Christianity because the people who don't accept Christ have to pay for their sins? You might be but you would be the first person I have ever met who was not a Christian who is glad Hell exist. If you don't like hell, then why are you mad that people who are truly sorry for their sins and hate what they did, escape Hell?

I know it is hard to accept that murders can get forgiven, but it strikes me that someone who could commit a murder would have to have a very cold heart. Cold hearted people have a very difficult time giving love to anyone, and someone who can not love can't get accepted by Christ. So some murders will be in heaven my belief is that they will be rare.

We also have a belief in Christianity that those who are forgiven of much love much. People who come to Christianity after many years of being drug addicts,and gang members tend to show their faith in drastic ways volunteering to do things like feed people in war zones, stuff that make many of the people who were raised Christian shake in their boots at the thought of doing. There love for their fellow man, and God is amazing!

Old 08-14-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzippler View Post
So are you saying hell is the best part of Christianity because the people who don't accept Christ have to pay for their sins? You might be but you would be the first person I have ever met who was not a Christian who is glad Hell exist. If you don't like hell, then why are you mad that people who are truly sorry for their sins and hate what they did, escape Hell?
I'll try to clarify. A Christian G-d who would allow a rapist or pedophile into heaven just because the criminal "bee-leaves" yet would send a atheist to hell, based not on actions, but merely on beliefs -- is a vile G-d. And my soul cannot accept such a disgusting vision of our Creator.

On earth, actions are much more important than beliefs.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:25 PM

401 posts, read 687,007 times
Quote:
I'll try to clarify. A Christian G-d who would allow a rapist or pedophile into heaven just because the criminal "bee-leaves" yet would send a atheist to hell, based not on actions, but merely on beliefs -- is a vile G-d. And my soul cannot accept such a disgusting vision of our Creator.

On earth, actions are much more important than beliefs.
Now I am the one who needs to clarify, Going to hell isn't about non belief in Jesus, it is about sin. If you can find me a person who has never sinned I will show you a person who is going to heaven, and since they would not need to be forgiven for anything they would not need Jesus to get there.

The reason you need Jesus to escape hell is that someone needs to pay the price for your sins, you can choose to pay for your own sins, or you can accept Jesus gift of paying for your sins so you don't have to.

One of the reasons why I have been so passionate about this one thread is I believe the unbiblical lie that all sins are equal has created allot of people who hate God for no reason. In an earlier post on this thread I tried to prove that all sins are different, and deserve different punishments. I believe those who have committed the most vile crimes to humanity will experience the most vile level of hell, those who lived somewhat more respectable lives will experience less punishment. Going to hell is very much about behavior.

Going to heaven is about perfection, of God wasn't willing to forgive we all would end up in Hell, failing perfection it is about not only accepting that Christ exist, but a willingness to accept his gift and be greatful to him for it.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:40 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,043,272 times
I'd say that torturing children is the most repulsive one I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality