Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atheists:Are you scared that Hell might exist?
Yes, it bothers me. 5 3.60%
No, not really. 52 37.41%
I laugh at the idea. 80 57.55%
It's always on my mind and worries me constantly. 2 1.44%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 03:41 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,652,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
what makes me say that? There is 'enough' proof for christianity. I understand there are enough questions, but there are enough evidence to show it potentially could be true. In the end, we must make a decision where we feel the evidence points...but there is evidence on both sides (in my evaluation).

I suspect your definition of "proof" is a little more flexible than mine . Do you really think there would be any Non Christians if there was proof ?

Wouldn't we all have realised the one and only "truth" or do you think Atheists, Muslims, Animists, Pagans, Buddhists etc... are just contrarian for the hell of it ?!?

Proof is something which is scientifically demonstrable and tangible.I have yet to see any of either for the validity of ANY religion. I suppose if I take your sentence literally and am a semantic pedant , yes there is proof that Christianity exists. The Religion in all its shades and hues is indeed well in evidence and I can walk into a Church and see Christians with my own eyes. That I call proof.

Christians always want Atheists to prove the absence of God which is of course completely illogical as one cannot prove a negative. However when one asserts a positive then the onus is on one to actually be able to come up with a little more evidence than pretty words and vague feelings. A positive surely is not so hard to demonstrate , especially one so encompassing ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 06:01 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,723,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
As if any would admit it even if they did........
Not everyone has ideologically induced problems with honesty. It's strange you'd assume that they would. Projection?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:04 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,566,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I reject the idea of hell just as I reject everything else about religion.

It's all about power and control of others, scaring people with a scary place is manipulative.
Which means that those so controlled by the irrational fear of hell, are living in their own superstition based self imposed hell in the here and now.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,673,452 times
First off you have to believe that something exists before you fear it and since I do not believe in the concept of the Christian Hell or any other Hell for that matter, I do not fear it. Why should I fear something that I do not believe in.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:30 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,880,101 times
Quote:
There is 'enough' proof for christianity.
Indeed there is but no one is denying that Christianity exists. What we deny is the claims of Christianity. If you think that there is proof for the claims of Christianity then please present it.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,989,678 times
Why would I fear a nonexistent place?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,756,971 times
Quote:
what makes me say that? There is 'enough' proof for christianity. I understand there are enough questions, but there are enough evidence to show it potentially could be true. In the end, we must make a decision where we feel the evidence points...but there is evidence on both sides (in my evaluation).
There is no proof that any god exists. Your evaluation is wrong sorry.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 AM

1,196 posts, read 756,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abf5000 View Post

I have been told I'm going to Hell numerous times, and it never really bothered me. Thanks.
i'm glad it doesn't bother you,because there IS no fiery place called hell. i wish many would stop believing what their ministers teach concerning this hell. just because they misinterpret Jesus words,(Matt.5:29- And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell).

God's words shows once...someone dies,they are free from their sins,(Rom.6:7 -For he that is dead is freed from sin). because death is a payment for our sins,(Rom.-6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord).

now because Jesus is in total agreement with HIS Father,(John 10:30 -I and my Father are one) , [meaning in agreement,not one of the same as taught]. then he wouldn't teach against his Father. ALSO Jesus knows his Father did not create a fiery place for the dead. since he knows the dead isn't floating around,but still in their graves. minus those who have that Heavenly calling...

(John 11:11-14, These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep. Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well. Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead). Jesus never said this man was now in Heaven,and he was a good man.

Hell is only a grave,where someone dies,or is laid to rest. these scriptures shows this...
(1).Psa.16:8-11- shows David ,(a faithful man) ,talking about God not leaving his soul in hell, not even to see corruption, (decaying). Notice David saying… “my flesh also shall rest in hope“ (if the false teachings of hell was a place demons torture the wicked and sinners, why would David say “his flesh shall rest"? Hell wouldn‘t be in a place of resting).

(2).Jonah 2:1,2- Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly, And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice. (was Jonah being tortured by demons?, was there fire in the fish belly?…no!, but he thought he would die there. that would have been his grave).

so when Jesus said " Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels" at Matt.25:41. he knew there was NO literal fire. it would make NO sense,considering the fact that most ministers teach demons resides in a fiery place called hell. how would that do damage to them. many just don't think, and refuse to do their research of it's orgins. so on that note... the ONLY hell many of us will see,is the grave.
peace

Old 08-02-2011, 10:58 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,566,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
i'm glad it doesn't bother you,because there IS no fiery place called hell. i wish many would stop believing what their ministers teach concerning this hell. just because they misinterpret Jesus words,
It's not the misinterpretation by people, it is the absurdity that anything in the bible is believed.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:21 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,994,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It's not the misinterpretation by people, it is the absurdity that anything in the bible is believed.
Yeah, but it's always entertaining hearing people that invariably can't read Classical Hebrew, Ancient Greek, or Old Aramaic lecture other people on "misinterpreting" the Bible...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality