Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:31 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,454,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are truly well named...You are bouncing around all over the place...Why do you want to make the question complicated? It's simple.
Have you considered my answer? Do you have a model of human knowledge? If not, you have no real business asking this question.

Worldviews are hard. They're not easy. Philosophy is complete abstraction. To accept one thing logically necessitates accepting another and another and so on in regression, with binary choices all along the way. I'm just trying to engage people about their own choices, to understand their thinking. The question is supposed to be an opening dialogue, but is it meant to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 11:41 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Well, anytime you use terms like absolute or objectivity or truth, you're advocating a theistic worldview. So the question is confusing. If you're going to ask a big epistemological question, you need to have some big epistemological answers yourself or at least commit to a clearly defined epistemological model. That would clarify things.

In fairness I'll attempt an answer piecing together assumptions from the hypothetical. If I become aware that there are no absolutes, I'd personally maintain my sensibility of them, for cognitive sanity. For a time, I'd probably assess the worth of things differently, regard the doings of the world with less engagement. But in the end return to a synthesis and continue to try and be happy (whatever that would mean, "ultimately" ).

So without a "God" in play, there can be no absolutes? Is that what you're saying? If so, would you mind explaining that a bit further?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:43 AM

118 posts, read 111,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
So without a "God" in play, there can be no absolutes? Is that what you're saying? If so, would you mind explaining that a bit further?
Saw that question coming

Old 08-31-2011, 11:57 AM

I think it's a rational question to ask, in this case. No?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
"God" at the most basic definition is any idea that an absolute exists. If you're a materialist or strictly empiricist, you can't logically believe in absolutes. Of course, that goes back to my question: What is your model of human knowledge if you're a materialist or empiricist (returning that this is a question of proof)? Once again, if one has no epistemology of one's own, one has no business calling to task anyone else's.

Last edited by Bunjee; 08-31-2011 at 12:07 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
"God" at the most basic definition is any idea that an absolute exists...

That is not the accepted definition of "God" in my experience.

I think we can all agree that 99.9% of the world equates God(s) with being(s) that are not human and those beings have powers and qualities beyond our own. In most cases one of these God(s) is responsible for creating the universe and everything in it.

Yes?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:15 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are truly well named...You are bouncing around all over the place...Why do you want to make the question complicated? It's simple.
Yeah, that was a really round about way of saying, "not much."

Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
That is not the accepted definition of "God" in my experience.

I think we can all agree that 99.9% of the world equates God(s) with being(s) that are not human and those beings have powers and qualities beyond our own. In most cases one of these God(s) is responsible for creating the universe and everything in it.

Yes?
I see. The question is directed to only those who attribute that definition to God? Or at least that definition you created for 99.9% of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Yeah, that was a really round about way of saying, "not much."
I know, I know! But I also wanted to question the question, because it gets asked so much but is never really investigated, and I hope it will be.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I see. The question is directed to only those who attribute that definition to God? Or at least that definition you created for 99.9% of the world...

Are you disagreeing that the vast majority of folks share "my" definition of what "God" is?

FWIW, I don't believe in an intelligent creator, so that definition is certainly not one I ascribe to. It is simply my understanding of how nearly all of the religious or faithful people I've ever communicated with view their personal version of "God".

Old 08-31-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Are you disagreeing that the vast majority of folks share "my" definition of what "God" is?

FWIW, I don't believe in an intelligent creator, so that definition is certainly not one I ascribe to. It is simply my understanding of how nearly all of the religious or faithful people I've ever communicated with view their personal version of "God".
I am disagreeing, because it's simplistic. Even the wildest evangelical at heart has a little more nuanced understanding of the ramifications of the idea of "God" than that. I understand a lot of this is cultural, and that some people live in very different social climates. It's not my experience of 10% of people, much less 99.9%. But then, what is all this to my answer anyway, since that's not my definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality