Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:56 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What part of the Old Testament wasn't? I guess that dramatically reduces the size of the Bible... although church sermons tend to favor OT...
Much of the OT is simply a history lesson for Christians. We can learn a lot from reviewing history. Hebrews in the NT is a perfect example of that. Other OT books are of great use for Christians in their daily life. Psalms & Proverbs give wisdom; Daniel & other books prophecy of the future.

I'm not dismissing the OT Law. However, it should never be used to demean others. Christians live under Christ's Law: "Love God & love others". The entire OT Law is summed up in those words.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
So were the ten commandments, but you still seem to think those are valid.
See post #11.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:59 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,228 times
Taking a single verse out of context to try to prove a point is fun, isn't it?

Try reading the entire book as a whole, not just bits and pieces...mmkay?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:03 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,590,825 times
If you remove the obvious predujice of the bible from this question; and ask yourself whatelse condemns homosexuality, I wonder how long the list will be? The founding fathers of America? The Talmud. The New Worlds Translation by Jehovahs Witnesses. The boy scouts of America? Most African secular nations. Islam. And you know, I could keep going and construct a very long list of those who disagree with homosexuality; But I think the obvious purpose behind this post is not homosexuality, thats a " Catch fire term to grab attention to the " Other Lion" in this thread;

A gripe with the bible! Thats the other lion that they hope kills your thoughts.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:21 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Much of the OT is simply a history lesson for Christians. We can learn a lot from reviewing history...

I'm not dismissing the OT Law. However, it should never be used to demean others. Christians live under Christ's Law: "Love God & love others". The entire OT Law is summed up in those words.
A history lesson ought to have a point, not exist for sake of existence. And there is no doubt that Christianity uses this history when it is convenient to do so, and avoid when... (the rest of the time). I'm sure you would agree.

Besides, is not claimed that the Bible is the word of God and it can be safely assumed that it includes the OT. If that is true, why would OT be about something Christians can do without?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:26 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Christians live under Christ's Law: "Love God & love others". The entire OT Law is summed up in those words.
What part of the subjugation of women is loving others? What part of smashing babies' skulls open on rocks is loving others? What part of wiping out entire competing tribes is loving others? What part of owning slaves is loving others? What part of killing your children/parents/siblings is loving others? What part of forcing a rape victim to marry her rapist is loving others? What part of incest is loving others? What part of burning people alive is loving others? What part of drowning everyone in the world except for eight people is loving others?

What part of any of these things can even remotely be claimed as "loving others"? Only a complete psychopath can honestly claim that the bible is about love.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:23 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
The Canukain's won't agree to it and it IS a free country.

Try buying a Somalia or Nigerian immigrant. They're already used to it and probably Muslim anyhow. Nobody will care.

Quote:
2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
If she's a Moderator cut: delete like you, I wouldn't ask too much.

Quote:
3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
Ummm....uh....dude? Do I have to explain to you how to tell if a woman is menstruating? If I do, you probably should just stay away from women as a matter of course and stick with men.

Quote:
4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
No, don't smite them. That's a felony. Instead, burn some good T-bones and smother them in BBQ sauce. You'll make "believers" out of your neighbors if you invite them over.

Quote:
5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?
Ask the cops to do it. Of course, since THEY aren't supposed to be working on the Sabbath either, they'll have to do in on a Monday or kill themselves too.

Quote:
6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?
No, there are no degrees. An abomination is an abomination. Consequently, eating shellfish is about the same as blowing someone. After all, shellfish aren't really anything but sea-going Cockroaches anyhow, so you can see the connection, right?

Quote:
7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle- room here?
No wiggle room. Pluck out your eyes. (Good luck on finding the altar of God...or anything else for that matter!)

Quote:
8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?
Kill them with a curling iron.

Quote:
9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
Yes.

Quote:
10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
You can ask the whole town if they want to participate, via the elders, but if they don't? Just stone them yourself. I recommend the Iranian method: Bury the men up to their necks and the women up to their waists. It gives them a sporting chance. (ps: Tying their hands is optional.)

Quote:
I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
I hope I've been of some help.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-08-2011 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 09-07-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
A history lesson ought to have a point, not exist for sake of existence. And there is no doubt that Christianity uses this history when it is convenient to do so, and avoid when... (the rest of the time). I'm sure you would agree.

Besides, is not claimed that the Bible is the word of God and it can be safely assumed that it includes the OT. If that is true, why would OT be about something Christians can do without?
I never said we should or could do without it. The OT shows us us much. Yes, it is the Word of God.

As you know, Christianity is rooted in Judiaism. The OT merely reveals our roots, something we should be informed about.

If you are genuinely interested in Law vs. Grace, read the link I posted earlier (post #4).

Old 09-07-2011, 04:24 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Dear Bible Experts,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from you, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle- room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
Leviticus is Old Testament Mosaic Law. None of it applies to modern day Christians. The Bible condemns a lot of things, but personally I wish it wasn't used as cartle blanche to hate on the gays. People shouldn't feel as if the Gospel says it's OK to hate on your fellow man.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:38 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Leviticus is Old Testament Mosaic Law. None of it applies to modern day Christians. The Bible condemns a lot of things, but personally I wish it wasn't used as cartle blanche to hate on the gays. People shouldn't feel as if the Gospel says it's OK to hate on your fellow man.

It's not ok to hate on your fellow man. It is ok to know what's right and what's wrong. Those don't change.

Unfortunately, too many can't do the latter without doing the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality