Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 786 times

Advertisements

The nice thing about eternity is it will lack all the worst things in this life. Death, disease, sorrow, sin, growing old. Best of all, we'll have the companionship of our friends and loved ones from this life coupled with forever to follow the righteous desires of our hearts. With that kind of future I'm sure we'll all have opportunities to do anything and everything we always wanted to do in this life, but didn't have time or opportunity. Think of the time time we spend traveling alone in this life just to get somewhere to accomplish things. Travel to the grocery store, to work, etc. The travel time alone eats up valuable time in our lives, time we can never get back. But it is necessary in this life. At least in eternity we'll always have eternity, no matter how long it takes us. I can imagine great joy simply living in eternity without the sorrows and pains of this life. I doubt it will ever be boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 02:49 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,179,187 times
Us humans have only experienced existence in this physical plane. I do not know if it is possible to comprehend eternity in a non-physical realm in which there are no constraints of space, movement or time. Our concepts of past, present and future are not applicable they are all fused into one. the result being that instead of time we simply have existence.

It is all a bit too far beyond my comprehension to worry about it. All I can do is accept that it will be an eternal experience that I will be fully happy with. I can not find any need to worry about what eternity is. Just need to do my best to be prepared for it.

Just my personal opinion.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:16 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,307,928 times
If there's no time, there's no duration. Everything is "now".

Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,713,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
The nice thing about eternity is it will lack all the worst things in this life. Death, disease, sorrow, sin, growing old. Best of all, we'll have the companionship of our friends and loved ones from this life coupled with forever to follow the righteous desires of our hearts. With that kind of future I'm sure we'll all have opportunities to do anything and everything we always wanted to do in this life, but didn't have time or opportunity. Think of the time time we spend traveling alone in this life just to get somewhere to accomplish things. Travel to the grocery store, to work, etc. The travel time alone eats up valuable time in our lives, time we can never get back. But it is necessary in this life. At least in eternity we'll always have eternity, no matter how long it takes us. I can imagine great joy simply living in eternity without the sorrows and pains of this life. I doubt it will ever be boring.
Sounds pretty boring to me, living in a totalitarian society where no challenges exist.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 PM

19,208 posts, read 27,844,200 times
Far in the universe
There is a diamond mountain twice the height of Everest
Once in 100 000 years,
A pheasant comes
And brushes tip of it with a feather
When entire mountain
Will be brushed down to nothing
That will be
A moment of eternity.

OP, you asking irrelevant question. Some things can not be fathomed or explained. You can not fathom god. God is. You can not fathom eternity. Eternity is. To fathom eternity, one has to become like god - but then, one is very unlikely to ask that question.
Just let it be. Be more concerned with how to reach the state of being a god, and then it will all be given onto you.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:20 PM

361 posts, read 750,683 times
Try being locked outside your house without a key with a full bladder of coffee. You will find out what eternity is like.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:52 PM

20,241 posts, read 13,648,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
The nice thing about eternity is it will lack all the worst things in this life. Death, disease, sorrow, sin, growing old. Best of all, we'll have the companionship of our friends and loved ones from this life coupled with forever to follow the righteous desires of our hearts.
It is interesting that most concepts of afterlives that people bother to subscribe to are perfected, idealized versions of this life. This is the central, objectively unverifiable, and terribly convenient claim of religion. Since faith cannot deliver on its promises in this life, it neatly defers them to the next.

The truth is that if there is an afterlife it is apt to be "same stuff, different dimension". Therefore I tend to relate to the desirability of immortality no differently than I'd relate to the invention of a pill that removes aging and disease from the human condition such that we life forever, absent some accident or natural disaster. I have seen no indication that I would want that, even with good quality of life. I could conceivably go for a few hundred years under that circumstance, but at some point, I think one would grow existentially tired. It would, of course, be interesting to explore that and see what it's really like when you aren't pressed for time and harried by pain and sorrow. I wouldn't mind the option to accumulate that kind of experience and wisdom. But I would not regard it as the ultimate solution to the human condition -- only a promising start.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:57 PM

157 posts, read 186,804 times
wth would you think anyone could know the answer? wth does anyone think that such a thing COULD even exist? do you know the DEFINITION of 'existance, even ?

Old 03-17-2013, 05:05 PM

20,241 posts, read 13,648,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
Try being locked outside your house without a key with a full bladder of coffee. You will find out what eternity is like.
For some crazy reason this made a connection in my brain with an old SF short story I read a zillion years ago -- don't remember the author. But someone invented a portal device that you could send things through and have them instantly pop out at the receiving end. So for instance you had but to lug a receiver to, say, Mars and you could go through this portal and instantly be there.

The thing is, they tested it first with inanimate objects, then with animals. The animals all died or went insane. Finally they offered a notorious criminal his freedom if he would go through the portal and tell them what it's like. He popped instantly out the receiving end (for purposes of the experiment, it was but a few feet away) with bug-eyes and white hair. He declared, IT'S ETERNITY IN THERE! And dropped dead on the spot.

Eventually they figured out that you could go through the portal so long as you were asleep. The problem was that if you were awake you perceived the fraction of a second that you were in transit, as thousands of years. Thousands of years as a discarnate entity, alone with your thoughts. This was what drove people insane. So long as they weren't awake to experience it, no problem. They ended up anesthetizing people, putting them through and awakening them on the other end.

So be careful what you wish for when you think you want immortality!

Old 03-17-2013, 05:55 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,713,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikking View Post
wth would you think anyone could know the answer? wth does anyone think that such a thing COULD even exist? do you know the DEFINITION of 'existance, even ?
Eternity began long before any of us were born. What was eternity like before you were born? That's what it'll be like after you are dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality