Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:19 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,140,382 times

Advertisements

Any opinions on the Mormons - I understand they are a different form of Christianity.

Anyway I got talking to one of them - and Just for curiosity I decided to meet up with one of them to talk/discuss about the Latter Say Saints in a week or so.

I don't think I'll join - but might be an interesting discussion to improve my religious/spiritual outlook since at the moment I am becoming very cynical atheist type.

So are they OK, there not some sort mind bending cult or anything?

Old 09-10-2011, 02:32 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,896,415 times
I was raised Mormon; left the religion and became atheist at the age of 30. You can read my story here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...mormonism.html

Old 09-10-2011, 02:40 PM

85 posts, read 202,414 times
I grew up in the Mormon church (was Mormon from birth-age 20) so I can try and give you an idea of what it's like, some of my opinions, and what it was like for me.

Yes, it is a form of Christianity, and you can find some really good people within the church. However, I never really agreed with it's teachings on homosexuality, the seperate gender roles men and women have, the teachings on sexuality/sex before marriage, and the massive amounts of control on every little aspect of your life. Which, in turn, led me to leave the church a few years ago and I have since become an atheist, which my still-Mormon family LOVES.

/sarcasm.

As far as some of what would be expected of you if you were to join:

1. You cannot drink alcohol, coffee, or tea at all.
2. You cannot smoke at all (and no drugs, of course).
3. You cannot have sex or have any sexual contact at all before marriage. Some people even frown on french kissing before marriage.

These first 3 are some of the main laws of the gospel and you will not be considered worthy to go to the temple (super important in the Mormon church) if you do any of them.

4. You have to dress modestly (less of an issue with guys, I know, but it's hard as hell to do as a chick) i.e. no sleeveless shirts, shorts/skirts have to reach past your fingertips, you can't see your stomach or back if you reach up or bend over, no low cut tops, one piece swimsuits, etc.
5. You absolutely cannot act on same-sex attraction if you're gay.
6. You will be expected to go to church every Sunday and go to church activites, and if they give you a job to do (a "calling") then you will be expected to do it in your free time with no pay.

There are other things of course, but those are the first couple of things that come to mind. For anyone thinking about converting to the church, they need to realize that it's not just a religion - it is a complete culture with its own weird rules and quirks, and not all of them are cohesive with a person's happiness. For example: my sister's ex-husband joined the church for her and didn't realize what he'd be giving up. He ended up extremely unhappy and they got divorced because of the issues that stemmed from it, and it caused a lot of heartache for the both of them.

Same thing with me; I never really was able to deal with the perfection that is expected of you in the Mormon church - my teenage years were filled with angst and guilt over what should really be considered a normal adolecent phase, and the complete misogyny is a nightmare. I am much happier with myself and with my life without it.

To answer your last question - there are differing opinions on it. Some people who ended up leaving the church and having it really scar them call it a cult, and in some ways it is. The church leaders and teachings certainly use some mind control techniques that are widely recognized as something that cults often do. My husband certainly considers it a cult. But it's really in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

**Side note** If you're meeting up with the missionaries, they WILL try and convert you. It's their job and they are under a lot of pressure to baptize lots and lots of people, and they are trained to be able to talk to reluctant people - so just be on your guard.

Hope this helps you get a better idea of it. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2011, 07:15 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Any opinions on the Mormons - I understand they are a different form of Christianity.

Anyway I got talking to one of them - and Just for curiosity I decided to meet up with one of them to talk/discuss about the Latter Say Saints in a week or so.

I don't think I'll join - but might be an interesting discussion to improve my religious/spiritual outlook since at the moment I am becoming very cynical atheist type.

So are they OK, there not some sort mind bending cult or anything?
No, they are not a mind-bending cult. They are a Christian denomination, neither Catholic nor Protestant, though. Mormons believe that Jesus Christ established a Church as part of His mortal ministry, that after His death and the deaths of His Apostles, men changed it. Finally, they believe that it has been re-established in these days. In other words, the Church's claim is that it is the restoration of the same Church as existed anciently.

I have been a member of the Church for my entire life -- 63 years later this month. I believe I'm as well-qualified as anyone on this site to answer any questions you might have about it, but until you actually have some specific questions, I'll just wait to say more. I congratulate you on your willingness to look into the religion. It's always a good thing to be informed, if nothing else. I will tell you one thing, though: No matter what your response to the missionaries is, they won't tell you that if you don't become a Mormon you're destined to an eternity in Hell. We pretty much believe that Heaven is large enough for all of us, atheists included.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:12 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,831,531 times
You can count on 3 things whenever Mormons are mentioned on this forum.

Hueffenhardt will type a novel about how he was once a LDS-bot but fought his way though the most heinous of manipulations and emotional anguish to find freedom from torture and slavery...

Katzpur will fight to the death to defend the faith like a lioness protecting her cubs...

...and I will make some stupid joke, then reaffirm my conviction to not be converted by my mormon wife yet again. I guess you could say the whole Mormon thing is... complicated.

Bottom line, make your own decision. I don't think Mormonism is particularly superior or inferior to any other christian (yes, they believe in and worship the magic Jewish carpenter of yore, so they are in fact "Christian") denomination.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:51 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You can count on 3 things whenever Mormons are mentioned on this forum.

Hueffenhardt will type a novel about how he was once a LDS-bot but fought his way though the most heinous of manipulations and emotional anguish to find freedom from torture and slavery...

Katzpur will fight to the death to defend the faith like a lioness protecting her cubs...

...and I will make some stupid joke, then reaffirm my conviction to not be converted by my mormon wife yet again. I guess you could say the whole Mormon thing is... complicated.

Bottom line, make your own decision. I don't think Mormonism is particularly superior or inferior to any other christian (yes, they believe in and worship the magic Jewish carpenter of yore, so they are in fact "Christian") denomination.
Chango, you once again hit the nail on the head.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:42 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,376,023 times
It is another branch in the Christian tree that is in Gods great big forest

Old 09-10-2011, 11:54 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,709,611 times
I'm surrounded on all sides by Mormons... speaking of my neighbors.

Have to honestly say Mormons I know make great neighbors... very self sufficient, have their stuff together and keep up their homes/yard and always helpful if asked.

That said, none have ever tried to pedal religion and some I didn't even realize are Mormons.

Maybe the West Coast Mormons are different... most of the ones I know are retired... don't smoke, drink coffer or Soda... about half I've seen will on ocasion have a drink... the men that is... no more than a glass at a social gathering... so, I'm a little confused at exactly how strict the religion is on drinking.

I did ask about it and everyone said they had their first alcohol in the Service...

We also have young Mormon men come through once in awhile... I know an elderly widow where they weeded and cleaned the entire property for her and all they received in return was a pitcher of ice water...

From my prospective... I've never met a Mormon I don't like living here in the SF Bay Area.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:00 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,140,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No, they are not a mind-bending cult. They are a Christian denomination, neither Catholic nor Protestant, though. Mormons believe that Jesus Christ established a Church as part of His mortal ministry, that after His death and the deaths of His Apostles, men changed it. Finally, they believe that it has been re-established in these days. In other words, the Church's claim is that it is the restoration of the same Church as existed anciently.

I have been a member of the Church for my entire life -- 63 years later this month. I believe I'm as well-qualified as anyone on this site to answer any questions you might have about it, but until you actually have some specific questions, I'll just wait to say more. I congratulate you on your willingness to look into the religion. It's always a good thing to be informed, if nothing else. I will tell you one thing, though: No matter what your response to the missionaries is, they won't tell you that if you don't become a Mormon you're destined to an eternity in Hell. We pretty much believe that Heaven is large enough for all of us, atheists included.
To be Honest - after talking to one of them, a female, and listening there version of hell and heaven, and judgement day - Although I didn't really take that seriously - I found a lot my usual overly cynical outlook going away, and a sense of calmness I usually don't feel - My usual beliefs are that everyone is always working in their own self interest no matter what they say - I found it refreshing that someone could actually have a positive belief system, or a set of values, and went away feeling happy(even if I don't really believe in any religion) - and not the usual standard, pathetic overly cynical, mean, negative outlook you get from most people at work, family etc.

Who knows perhaps she performed some mind bending hypnosis on me or something.

Last edited by mikeyking; 09-11-2011 at 03:02 AM.. Reason: update

Old 09-11-2011, 03:52 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Of course it is very persuasive to come across someone who has simply offloaded all their problems and worries in exchange for complete confidence in a promise.

It is very persuasive indeed but it essentially a semi - con - trick like getting you to bet on the lottery or take Pascal's wager. I say a semi - con trick as it might just happen. You can't be definite that it won't.

As to why that one religion (or subset) rather than another, it does depend partly on how you were indoctrinated as you grew up and the focussed recruitment methods of the door - to door evangelists.

I might just say that the method is interesting. if you just say you don't believe any of it then the 'who made everything then?' argument is trotted out. As we know, once the 'god' idea is made to look even feasibly possible, the 'leap of faith' to whatever religion you are selling by holding up the 'Holy Book' as the message from sortagod is the next step.

As to Joseph Smith and the origins of Mormonism, they look highly suspicious. There are a lot of undisprovable though questionable claims but I must say that Hueff's expose of the Abraham papyrus (which is just a standard funeral papyrus and nothing whatsoever to do with Abraham) should put the tin lid on Smith's translation claims to anyone other than those arguing a sort of hidden spiritual message which factually exists nowhere.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-11-2011 at 08:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality