Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 937 times

Advertisements

Greetings to all!
I am a student from the Netherlands and my school has assigned me to create a game to promote understanding between two religious groups, namely Muslims and Christians. Therefore I am asking you all the following: where are Muslim and Christian religious teachings very similar, and where do they differ a lot? Specific examples would be much appreciated!

I believe that when a person of a certain faith is able to relate to the ethics behind the teachings of another faith, it creates understanding and acceptance.

Thank you all in advance!
-Max
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 06:09 AM

307 posts, read 269,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeletters View Post
Greetings to all!
I am a student from the Netherlands and my school has assigned me to create a game to promote understanding between two religious groups, namely Muslims and Christians. Therefore I am asking you all the following: where are Muslim and Christian religious teachings very similar, and where do they differ a lot? Specific examples would be much appreciated!

I believe that when a person of a certain faith is able to relate to the ethics behind the teachings of another faith, it creates understanding and acceptance.

Thank you all in advance!
-Max
I'm a Christian who admittedly doesn't know a lot about Islam, but I'd say that our main incompatibility point is in what we believe about Jesus Himself. We both agree that Jesus was virgin-born by Mary and had God-given powers to perform miracles. But in Christianity, the crucifixion and resurrection are perhaps the most important points there are. However, Muslims deny that Jesus was crucified and resurrected, but went straight to ascension. They don't believe He was divine, or that he atoned for mankind's sins, which Christians do. Like Christians, Muslims believe He will return one day.

If I'm wrong about anything I've stated, my apologies, but that is the primary difference between the two as I understand it.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:35 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,896,132 times
The poster Woodrow might be one of the best qualified to answer your question as he is a Muslim now and once was a Christian missionary in the Middle East.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:22 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,098,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
I'm a Christian who admittedly doesn't know a lot about Islam, but I'd say that our main incompatibility point is in what we believe about Jesus Himself. We both agree that Jesus was virgin-born by Mary and had God-given powers to perform miracles. But in Christianity, the crucifixion and resurrection are perhaps the most important points there are. However, Muslims deny that Jesus was crucified and resurrected, but went straight to ascension. They don't believe He was divine, or that he atoned for mankind's sins, which Christians do. Like Christians, Muslims believe He will return one day.

If I'm wrong about anything I've stated, my apologies, but that is the primary difference between the two as I understand it.
You have it correct David. That is the main incompatibility between us. A tremendous difference.

There are other lesser differences such as in Islam there are no ordained clergy, no central human leadership nor a concept of sacraments. Islam is based upon self responsibility and our being responsible for our own learning, accountable for our own choices, the need to seek verification of all things we learn.

Islam does have some differences as to what constitutes prayer. The word often translated as prayer is salat. We are obligated to do salat 5 times daily each at a specific time. As a result some people think we only can pray 5 times daily. However, salat is more complex then simple prayer it corresponds more closely to being a "Church Service" or "Catholic Mass."

The Arabac word that comes closest to the Christian concept of Prayer is "Du'a" We are to constantly do Du'a as we see each and every action, word and thought as being a prayer.

Salat has to be in Arabic and is in a very specific format with no deviation. Du'as are our own personal words to Allaah(swt) and are of no format, they come from our own heart and intention and may be in whatever language we are comfortable in using.

Muslims also have a strict dietary code that is nearly identical with the Jewish Kosher code. With a few exceptions such as wine. Muslims are forbidden to drink anything that contains alcohol, even if the alcohol in miniscule.

Let me list the specific things every Muslim must do to the best of their ability. This is the basis of Islam and what is common to every Muslim. What we call the five Pillars of faith.

The Five Pillars of Faith

A Muslim must acknowledge that "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his Prophet"

A Muslim do Salat five times daily facing Mecca: at dawn, at noon, in the midafternoon, at dusk, and after dark.

Each Muslim must pay a zagat (Charity)

A Muslim must fast for the month of Ramadan. During the fasting month, one must refrain from eating, drinking, smoking, and sexual intercourse from dawn until sunset.

A Muslim must make a pilgrimage to Mecca. Every adult Muslim who is physically and financially able to do so must make this pilgrimage at least once in his or her lifetime.

As long as a person is doing their best to follow the 5 Pillars, he/she is a Muslim. Who actually is a Muslim is known only to Allaah(swt) as no man can see into the hearts of another and know their intentions.

The common beliefs of all Muslims are what we call the Fundamentals of Islam they are:

Quote:
Six Articles of Faith

There is no official creed to which one must adhere to be considered a Muslim. All that is required is to believe and recite the Shahada: "There is no God but God, and Muhammad is his Prophet." Beyond this core belief, however, Muslim doctrine is often summarized in "Six Articles of Faith." Many Muslims believe that one must adhere to the six articles to be considered a Muslim.
Muslim Beliefs about God

The single most important belief in Islam, and arguably the central theme of Islam, is that there is only one God. The name of God is Allah, which is simply Arabic for "the (al) God (Ilah)." The term is related to Elohim, the Hebrew word for God.
Muslim Beliefs about the Prophets

Muhammad, the founder of Islam, is revered as "the Seal of the Prophets" - the last and greatest of the messengers of God. He is not divine in any way, for the strict monotheism that characterizes Islam (as well as Judaism) does not allow for such an interpretation. Other prophets are important in Islam as well, all of which are shared with the Jews or the Christians.
Muslim Beliefs about Human Nature

According to the Qur'an, Allah "created man from a clot of blood" at the same time he created the jinn from fire. Humans are the greatest of all creatures, created with free will for the purpose of obeying and serving God.
Muslim Beliefs about Life and Salvation

For a Muslim, the object of life is to live in a way that is pleasing to Allah so that one may gain Paradise. It is believed that at puberty, an account of each person's deeds is opened, and this will be used at the Day of Judgment to determine his eternal fate.
Muslim Beliefs about the Afterlife

Like Christianity, Islam teaches the continued existence of the soul and a transformed physical existence after death. There will be a day of judgment and humanity will be divided between the eternal destinations of Paradise and Hell.
Muslim Views of Other Religions

The Qur'an is clear that there must be "no compulsion in religion" (2:256). Yet Islam is not indifferent to conversion either - Muslims consider their religion to the be the one true religion, and invite people of all races, nationalities and religions to be part of it.
Like Christians Muslims come in every race, nationality and culture. We are very much individuals and like Christians there are no physical characteristics to identify us. Very few of us speak Arabic as our first language.

As David said above the biggest difference is over our beliefs about Jesus(as). We have many more similarities than differences.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:02 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,536,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post

Beliefs about Jesus are a huge point of incompatibility and are not negotiable, from my Christian prospective. That doesn't mean we don't treat Muslims as we would like to be treated, etc., but we will never agree on this point, and it's basic.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Beliefs about Jesus are a huge point of incompatibility and are not negotiable, from my Christian prospective. That doesn't mean we don't treat Muslims as we would like to be treated, etc., but we will never agree on this point, and it's basic.
I agree. Nearly everything else about our two faiths has areas of agreement and room for compatibility.

The issues of Jesus(as) are what make us different. In simplicity, Christians believe it is necessary to Worship Jesus(as) as the Son of God(swt) and the 2nd part of the Trinity, in order to reach Heaven.

Us Muslims believe that to worship Jesus(as) is committing the sin of Shirk (Attributing and/or worshiping any one or anything instead of or in addition to Allaah) Shirk is the one unforgivable sin if one dies without repenting for it, it guarantees one of eternal Damnation.

Muslims believe Jesus(as) was a very great and much loved Prophet(PBUH) who lived a pious life, Worshiped Allaah(as) and spoke only the Truth. We believe He was given the Injil (Gospel of Jesus) to teach to His followers. However, his followers ignored the Message and worshiped the Messenger. We believe the early Christian founders substituted the NT for the full Gospel that was revealed to Jesus(as).

This is a point in which Christians and Muslims can not compromise. Christians believe Muslims are leading people to Hellfire and Muslims believe Christians are leading people to Hellfire. So this is a very big issue and of extreme importance for both of us.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I agree. Nearly everything else about our two faiths has areas of agreement and room for compatibility.

The issues of Jesus(as) are what make us different. In simplicity, Christians believe it is necessary to Worship Jesus(as) as the Son of God(swt) and the 2nd part of the Trinity, in order to reach Heaven.

Us Muslims believe that to worship Jesus(as) is committing the sin of Shirk (Attributing and/or worshiping any one or anything instead of or in addition to Allaah) Shirk is the one unforgivable sin if one dies without repenting for it, it guarantees one of eternal Damnation.

Muslims believe Jesus(as) was a very great and much loved Prophet(PBUH) who lived a pious life, Worshiped Allaah(as) and spoke only the Truth. We believe He was given the Injil (Gospel of Jesus) to teach to His followers. However, his followers ignored the Message and worshiped the Messenger. We believe the early Christian founders substituted the NT for the full Gospel that was revealed to Jesus(as).

This is a point in which Christians and Muslims can not compromise. Christians believe Muslims are leading people to Hellfire and Muslims believe Christians are leading people to Hellfire. So this is a very big issue and of extreme importance for both of us.
So, bottom line, we understand and agree that we will never agree. I don't think there's anything left to say. Perhaps the student from The Netherlands can choose another assignment.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
So, bottom line, we understand and agree that we will never agree. I don't think there's anything left to say. Perhaps the student from The Netherlands can choose another assignment.
In spite of our differences, there are many things we can agree upon and seek a goal of living peacefully side by side. The important thing is for each of us to end the Misconceptions we have about each other.

I am confident that by knowing the truth of what the other actually believes, hatred can be removed. When we all can learn to disagree without malice, we can be a big part in moving the world towards peace.

I feel the means of understanding is through the learning of what is true and ending the misconceptions that lead to mutual hatred. Communication is the best means of learning about each other. We both need to see we worship the same Deity. Allah and God are the same.

Christians need to learn that Muslims are humans and have a strong love for God(swt)

Muslims need to learn that Christians are humans and have a strong love for Allaah(swt)

Old 10-16-2011, 01:51 PM

307 posts, read 269,660 times
Quote:
But he's talking about promoting understanding between the religions, not total agreement. I agree with Woodrow Li that we can understand, respect and live alongside each other peacefully without coming to total agreement on who or what Jesus was. And understanding what people of other faiths believe, and why they believe it, is certainly helpful in achieving this kind of understanding and respect.

The same goes for the irreligious. Understanding why they don't believe and why they don't believe it (and them understanding why we believe and why we believe it) certainly goes a long way towards peace, understanding and respect between the religious and the irreligious. Where our disagreements lead to animosity is when we demonize each other, accuse each other of dishonesty or bad intentions, or judge a certain group based upon the worst examples of that group (like when people judge all Muslims by the actions of the 9/11 terrorists, or judge all Christians by the actions of Westboro Baptist Church, or judge all atheists by the actions of people like Mao and Stalin).

Old 10-16-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
In spite of our differences, there are many things we can agree upon and seek a goal of living peacefully side by side. The important thing is for each of us to end the Misconceptions we have about each other.

I am confident that by knowing the truth of what the other actually believes, hatred can be removed. When we all can learn to disagree without malice, we can be a big part in moving the world towards peace.

I feel the means of understanding is through the learning of what is true and ending the misconceptions that lead to mutual hatred. Communication is the best means of learning about each other. We both need to see we worship the same Deity. Allah and God are the same.

Christians need to learn that Muslims are humans and have a strong love for God(swt)

Muslims need to learn that Christians are humans and have a strong love for Allaah(swt)
But I don't believe we worship the same diety. That still doesn't mean I'm malicious.

I don't hate anyone. Many Muslims are sincerely seeking God.

And the fundamental disagreement remains fundamental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality