Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:33 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Everyone has their own definitions. Some people make a technical distinction between "knowledge" and "belief."

I don't.

I describe a person who believes a god does exist as a theist.
A person who believes a god does not exist as an atheist.
And a person who doesn't take a position either way as an agnostic.

To me, that best conforms to the everyday usage of the words.
Yes it's pretty simple. Some might define me as an agnostic because I don't feel 100% sure there's a God, but believe there is (it's just my nature to leave room for doubt in almost anything). But I think I better fit a theistic position because I definitely lean much more towards there being a God.

On the other hand I would call myself totally 'agnostic' about the idea of extra-terrestrial life. I basically have no opinion one way or the other; am split 50/50 on the issue. I just can't say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 12:05 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
so does the following set of questions have any logic:

1st....is there a god? typical response(s): yes, no and I don't know

2nnd....do you believe in god?

now if you answered yes to (1), then the 2nd should be yes as well.

if you answered no to (1), then the 2nd should be no as well.

but what if you answered "i don't know"?

shouldn't logic then conclude that your answer to question (2) is "no" as well?

As I heard it the other day, agnostics and atheists are really two peas in the same pod but agnostics just have a hard time admitting it and taking the next step.

As an example (call it good or bad, IDC), if you call yourself an agnostic you cannot be a youth or adult member of the BSA....

Any thoughts?
Probably that is the case in most cases. However, many people "believe" in a god even though they do not "know" for sure if one exists. That is why they call it "faith."

Old 10-29-2011, 01:25 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Everyone has their own definitions. Some people make a technical distinction between "knowledge" and "belief." If we can all have our own definitions, there will eventually be no worthwhile communication.

I don't.
It isn't merely "technical". They are two entirely different things. Atheism and agnosticism are not measures of the same thing.
Quote:
To me, that best conforms to the everyday usage of the words.
The "everyday usage" of the words is sadly mistaken. I don't think it is a good idea to make no effort to correct it.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It isn't merely "technical". They are two entirely different things. Atheism and agnosticism are not measures of the same thing.
The "everyday usage" of the words is sadly mistaken. I don't think it is a good idea to make no effort to correct it.
You are correct!

Old 10-30-2011, 09:04 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
The Atheist and Theist have proclaimed absolutes the Agnostic simply proclaims he does not know. It's that simple.
Theists base the existence of their god on absolutely zero evidence of their god.
Atheists base the absence of any god on absolutely zero evidence of any god.

Which fails the test of logic?

Old 10-30-2011, 10:12 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Theists base the existence of their god on absolutely zero evidence of their god.
Atheists base the absence of any god on absolutely zero evidence of any god.

Which fails the test of logic?
Again the Agnostic says he does not know.
I doubt you will find any extremism in Agnosticism; some extremist would like to include the Agnostics for propagandic reasons but it's not the same.

There are three different positions to choose from; enjoy your choice.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Again the Agnostic says he does not know.
I doubt you will find any extremism in Agnosticism; some extremist would like to include the Agnostics for propagandic reasons but it's not the same.

There are three different positions to choose from; enjoy your choice.
So which god do you believe in?

Old 10-30-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
So which god do you believe in?
Self; Myself to be most specific.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Self; Myself to be most specific.
So, as an atheist (since "you" don't count as a supernatural deity), do you consider yourself to be an extremist with an "absolute" position? It doesn't appear to me that you do. Like, any other atheist, you just don't happen to currently hold a belief in any gods. This does not mean that you (we) hold the "absolute" position that gods therefore do not exist.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
So, as an atheist (since "you" don't count as a supernatural deity), do you consider yourself to be an extremist with an "absolute" position?
I'am not sure what this has to do with the Op. You ask which God and I've told you. Now if you are asking if whether or not I care if you were to go to some hell/heaven or not...the answer is no I don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality