Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 10:49 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,735,502 times

Advertisements

I came across this question and believe it's a thought provoking one; so I'll ask it here.

Which of the following describes "inspiration" in scripture?

1. Scripture was authored by God and is without error.

2. Scripture was authored by God who made or allowed some errors.

3 Some parts of the scripture were inspired by God and other parts were written by men so some of it's contents are inerrant and some others may be untrue.

4. Scripture was written entirely by men without any special divine inspiration, but may contain some religious truth.

Please defend your answer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 02:57 PM

Let's look at alternative # 4 that all scripture is merely the religious writings of men.

Aside from the fact that scripture itself tells us it is all inspired by God, is there any evidence that this is true?

Or as someone asked, if Cinderalla tells us her's is a true story, should we believe that it is?

It's called an argument in a circle.

It is said that one fundamentalist preacher announced that he was going to prove that God exists in his next sermon. Naturally, his church was packed. He got up in the pulpit, held up a Bible, and announced that the Bible said there was a God. Therefore, there was a God since the Bible said so.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:08 PM

307 posts, read 270,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
I came across this question and believe it's a thought provoking one; so I'll ask it here.

3 Some parts of the scripture were inspired by God and other parts were written by men so some of it's contents are inerrant and some others may be untrue.

4. Scripture was written entirely by men without any special divine inspiration, but may contain some religious truth.

As a Christian, I'd say none of the above, though 3 and 4 are closest. All of it was authored by men, making 1-3 all incorrect since they each say that men wrote none of it or just some of it. But I do believe that the men who wrote it had divine inspiration, the same way a painter would be inspired by a sunset or a poet inspired by a woman's beauty, for example. But, no, I don't believe that God personally wrote any of the individual books or anything like that.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
As a Christian, I'd say none of the above, though 3 and 4 are closest. All of it was authored by men, making 1-3 all incorrect since they each say that men wrote none of it or just some of it. But I do believe that the men who wrote it had divine inspiration, the same way a painter would be inspired by a sunset or a poet inspired by a woman's beauty, for example. But, no, I don't believe that God personally wrote any of the individual books or anything like that.
RESPONSE:

Let's clarify a term then. See Merriam-Webster Author - one who creates or produces something.

When we say God authored scripture, I mean in that sense, not physically writing it. For example, I "authored" this post. But a computer was the writer. (In fact, if I had one of those voice gizmos, I could have dictated the post directly into the computer).

Perhaps, I can simplify the issues.

Did God or man "create" scripture?

Is it free from error? (Watch this last one. If you say that God "created/authored" scripture and it contains errors, then God made those errors).

Old 10-29-2011, 05:05 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,539,389 times
We mean that it was inspired by the Holy Spirit--that is is absolutely true.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:18 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,060,607 times
Maybe some people should look up the greek for "inspiration" and then do a little research on what God's breath meant in the Hebrew Bible - rather than assuming it means "It's all true".

That's the farthest thing from what "inspired" means. Any Greek experts care to chime in? Or do we want to use the common misconception that "inspired" means "inerrant".

And what does "scripture" mean? It referred to the Septuagint Greek translation - not Paul's letters, not the Gospels, not the Apocalypse of John, and definately not the Hebrew text of the 'Old Testament'. It only referred to the LXX - the Greek translation of the 'Old Testmant' and the other books that never made it into the later official canon. The Bible's canon was not even finished at the time this trouble-making verse was penned. And does the verse of one 1st century Christian have the power to establish a paradigm that can be applied to older writings? I doubt it.

Define your terms - first.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:29 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,165,796 times
Quote:

Any true God or being that could create the universe wouldn't need or use scriptures, and wouldn't have primitive iron/bronze age tribesmen involved in recording them regardless.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:42 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,455,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
Your views put you firmly in the liberal camp, which means your views will be vigorously rejected by fundamentalists and conservatives. However, in my opinion, liberalism is the only Christian position that is even somewhat reasonable and rational. Biblical literalism/inerrantism is ridiculous on its face.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
We mean that it was inspired by the Holy Spirit--that is is absolutely true.
RESPONSE:

Do you have evidence that this is a fact, or is it something you just choose to believe?

Old 10-30-2011, 09:50 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,381,969 times
Quote:

I don't believe in any of your examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality