Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 06:05 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,721,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
catman: In my opinion FSM (and IPU) is/are very amusing in a twisted sort of way.
But, though I have my own mindset as to "how things are"...I don't feel it's right to "cut on" or mock others for their differing mindset.
Which is why you never miss a chance to point out every failing (real or imagined) in non-believers.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Maybe there is a way to make the proverbial Invisible Pink Unicorn visible to the naked eye, else how would we know its colour?
It's through reason we know her to be invisible and through faith alone that we know her to be pink. Atone and you too shall be able to witness her holy pinkish hue.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Gender pronouns are irrevelant if the IPU is made up, right?
Exactly. Now you're seeing how she parallels normal religions.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:44 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,692,829 times
Quote:
The FSM parody church will inevitably become what it hates and scorns. Human nature being what it is, this is inevitable. So maybe FSM church should disband before things get too serious. It started as a joke; it should stay that way.
I seriously doubt it will become what it hates. OTOH, if it expands in the same spirit it was created in, it will give many (non FSM) religious believers something to think about beyond the usual faith-based thoughts they are constantly fed. Humor works.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:21 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,928,657 times
And, unlike the post-meal prayer I sat through at my wife's church's Harvest Dinner meal last night (I attended for purely social reasons you understand, soz the minions could see that she has a nice social hubby, and for me to get a sense of the social milieú...), the FSM explains a lot of the otherwise inexplicable far better than the traditional Abrahamic God Fa-Fig, who pretty much fails at every turn these days. Not to mention, our FSM, praise be his sauciness, was right there last night, physically & in persona non grata, since we had us some pasta. Way to sneak in past that other God, FSM!

And such a cheerful & colorful presence as well!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=VRmhO9y8E43

Absolutely no fire and brimestone or threats here! Like, fur instance...

Other than yah might git a touch of the heartburn if you knowingly over-consume His sauciness, which is nothin' compared to what that other God does to you if you willfully disobey! Hell, fire, brimstone, pain, suffering, bad home-loan debts, and so on... sigh...)

As well, as compared to prayer, which we have shown again and again to really not work, the FSM gives us, with no fuss nor muss...

Case closed! All praise the FSM!

Last edited by rifleman; 10-31-2011 at 10:32 AM..

Old 10-31-2011, 11:41 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,114,161 times
Hopefully I do not distract from the humor aspect of this thread. But on a serious note, I believe us theists should take a close look at the FSM and the IPU. We do have a lesson to learn here.

Each and everyone of us has probably come across as sounding just like this parody when we attempt to prove the existence of God(swt). We can learn a lot when we look in the mirror and see how we look to other people.

How, can we expect anyone to believe God(swt) exists when we sound like we are describing the FSM and offering the same "proofs"?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to return to what I believe is the purpose of this thread. a smile and possibly a laugh.

I prefer the FSM over the nonexistent IPU as I have it on the word of Chef Boyardee that Pasta is real and available on sale this week at 5 cans for $4. A pasta miracle we can all share.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:09 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,663,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Of course many are drawn in by the mulling, chanting populist vote, to be a part of the greater flock, to be gleefully bleating along with the larger number. Makes them feel "complete" if you will, whilst us atheists are far more satisfied in our ultimate correctness, in knowing we see with a suffusing clarity they can never even imagine. An example? Easy! Theists plug in and sing along; Steve Jobs, the Buddhist-atheist, conceived and designed the art and technologies to which they listened.

You choose: This...

Redirect Notice

or this...

Redirect Notice

Note: if you look closely, you can detect a distinct difference in the clear eyes of the wolves versus the faded, glassed-over look in the eyes of those bleet-oid sheep, who have to have a shepherder take care of their every need, and to eventually get 'em down to slaughter on schedule.

So be it. I'll be lookin' for yah there, Gldn. And to think; you had such a potentially glorious future....
Now, rifle...you know I'm not one of the "sheep".
MOF...most organized religions would never associate themselves with a horrible, evil dude like me!! As far as they are concerned, I'm the bottom of the barrel...scum of the earth...beyond "redemption"!

BUT...though I may not have any religious affiliations (or endorsements)...I know what's what as far as MOST of the people that have ever lived...and how that influences them.
I just "call it like it is"...my opinion as to whether it's right or wrong, sensible or foolish, not withstanding.

You already know I find Atheism to be one of the more sensible concepts out there...and certainly far above any organized religious dogma.
But my opinion about it doesn't change it's extreme lack of power to influence the masses...just like my personal allergy to religious dogma doesn't change the fact that it is the most influential.

On a side-note: Jobs (and his unfortunate premature passing) is the current "poster-child" for my oft stated mantra that great intellect/genius doesn't necessarily equate to wisdom. He waited 9 months to get the operation, that had it been done early, might have extended his life considerably...because he "didn't want his body to be opened up and invaded". Don't know what was up with that unbelievable lack of common sense from such an otherwise brilliant man. Go figure!
Few will ever be as "smart", but most will be much more wise.
I'd rather be a wise and very old man of average (or even below average) intellect, than a "ultra-smart" man that is dead well before my time due to a lack of wisdom.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:21 PM

912 posts, read 827,958 times
Just finishing up on my thesis in a much labored Perfersership, the Pastafarianism Question ... they were having a party and the leader tried to change water into wine , Now, carbon atoms have to be created for water to change into wine...theres no escape.. Wine contains 1000's of chemicals, its a little more than a mix of alcohol and water...Ethanol a must ingredient in all fancy drinks needs carbon...all the chemicals in wine are touchy with respects to temperature and pressure
You can't make ethanol from water because water has no carbon...but,Three water molecules could supply the necessary atoms. If two Oxygen atoms ...each being 6 protons and electrons were stripped of a pair of protons and electrons, they would become two Carbon atoms ...4 protons and electrons....problem is we wind up with a pair of helium atoms and a surplus of binding energy which originally kept the oxygen atoms intact or together...E=MC2
The extra energy will take off as regular heat BUT splitting oxygen into carbon & helium will be the same as splitting plutonium or uranium-235
into other different and exciting things...unfortuanately for the copy-cat
movement this caused a violent release of energy as in nuclear fission like
what happened in Nagasaki and Hiroshima from only a few pounds of material through nuclear reduction
In depth evidence shows the leader attempted to change about 5 gallons of water into wine, oh about 45pounds...they wanted a good wine apparently and that means about 9% ethanol changing 9% of 5 gallons or 45 pounds
which will need nuclear fission of about 4 pounds of matter..not far off from the hiroshima bomb. The event was a big surprise and the spaghetti
was the only noddle that made an escape without injury.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:55 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,663,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Which is why you never miss a chance to point out every failing (real or imagined) in non-believers.
I just give "The Facts of the Matter"...people can take what they want from it.

Though for some reason, even though I explain that is what I'm doing, many then try to assign it as some sort of position I have personally adopted about it.
For example: Many times I have noted the incredible influence and power to persuade of Organized Religion. That is nothing more than the objective fact of the matter. But many will then conclude that I endorse Organized Religion...when, in actuality, my personal opinion is the opposite of that. See?

The only "failings" I point out is when bias, prejudice, insults, mocking, disrespect, or any other kind of intolerance is shown toward others for their holding/stating/living a differing view...on either side.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 AM

33,568 posts, read 37,182,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I just give "The Facts of the Matter"...people can take what they want from it.

Though for some reason, even though I explain that is what I'm doing, many then try to assign it as some sort of position I have personally adopted about it.
For example: Many times I have noted the incredible influence and power to persuade of Organized Religion. That is nothing more than the objective fact of the matter. But many will then conclude that I endorse Organized Religion...when, in actuality, my personal opinion is the opposite of that. See?

The only "failings" I point out is when bias, prejudice, insults, mocking, disrespect, or any other kind of intolerance is shown toward others for their holding/stating/living a differing view...on either side.
Do you include how you constantly wail on atheists? Very few people on this forum can hold a candle to you when it comes to bias, prejudice, insults, mocking, disrespect and sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality