Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:11 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,439,730 times

Advertisements

I love the beautiful temples, churches, and mosques that religious people have built. They represent some of the most beautiful buildings on the planet. I've toured some of Europe's most beautiful cathedrals, and the beauty of those structures took my breath away. I've always wanted to go to Asia and tour the many beautiful mosques and Buddhist and Hindu temples.

Also, am I the only atheist who likes (modern) Christian music? I was raised in a Christian home, so I grew up on bands like Skillet, As I Lay Dying, and Thousand Foot Krutch. I even like some songs by The David Crowder Band, despite the blatant theistic content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 01:28 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,761,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Also, am I the only atheist who likes (modern) Christian music?
Probably

I grew up listening to 1970s christian music and there are still a couple of musicians who just kind of bring back memories of the feelings I had as a young christian teenager. Christian music invokes in me many feelings, it proves how powerful music can be.

I prefer secular music and much harder rock and metal nowadays.

Chuck Girard: "Lay Your Burden Down" - YouTube

Chuck Girard - Sometimes Alleluia - YouTube

And then there's always the brilliant man in black.

Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around - YouTube

Old 11-21-2011, 01:52 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,004,059 times
I think religions are beautiful when they keep to themselves and don't try to recruit others to them. I also can appreciate religions when they do not try to interfere with government and schools to force non believers to live by the beliefs of the religion.

Religions are based on faith, not logic, and because of this they can sometimes give rise to fanatics who cannot be reasoned with. Because they do not have a logical perspective on the world it is very easy for them to butt heads with little compromise.

I, too, feel much more in common with Eastern religions, also because they seem more philosophic and less dependent on dogma. Scientific thought can more easily co-exist with them.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:39 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,677,249 times
I dislike to word religion, it conjures up a strict regimental way of having to believe in something or someone. I do not believe in a religion, my spiritual belief is more of a cultural belief. Native Americans who have kept the ancient ways, live their culture, it's part of their everyday life, how we treat and respect one another, how we have respect for all living things. Someone mentioned something about the beautiful buildings that have been built, the tall cathedrals and all the opulence that goes with it. I see my cathedrals as those of the great and beautiful mountains, the tall redwoods, the majestic waterfalls. These are the things that, to me are the most sacred.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:10 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I dislike to word religion, it conjures up a strict regimental way of having to believe in something or someone. I do not believe in a religion, my spiritual belief is more of a cultural belief. Native Americans who have kept the ancient ways, live their culture, it's part of their everyday life, how we treat and respect one another, how we have respect for all living things. Someone mentioned something about the beautiful buildings that have been built, the tall cathedrals and all the opulence that goes with it. I see my cathedrals as those of the great and beautiful mountains, the tall redwoods, the majestic waterfalls. These are the things that, to me are the most sacred.
We must go to the same "church" then. .

My favorite pew is the one that faces the sun setting behind the Wet Mountains in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality