Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 08:45 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I agree with you on many things here. Many assume atheism is something it isn't. However to say it isn't a world view, view of religion, or that they don't worry about or think about atheist things is a bit false. Atheism as it is portrayed on this forum is a world view, view of religion, and shows that the atheists on here do think about atheists standpoints. If they didn't there would be no atheism sub forum, atheists would interrupt threads that they have no purpose involving themselves in. They wouldn't post forums that are very anti-religious or spiritual. They wouldn't post things like "how a belief in god is false" to post such things makes it obvious that someone took time to think about it, and type it out. So, if any of what you said was true, as an atheist, you would simply not involve yourself in anything that involves a god or deity. Most would not involve themselves with anything they do not partake in. It makes little sense to make a case against a deity or religion you don't believe in.
I agree with this post. I have nothing against atheist. I`m not a church goer either. In fact, I believe God interacts very little if at all in our life. I do believe in God,though.. simply because an intelligent design seems to make the most sense to me. But I don`t adhere to any church or doctrine. I don`t take the bible literally. I see a lot of it as just stories written by ignorant men from along ago who didn`t understand the things around them. But I have seen atheist on christian forums arguing like crazy trying to prove they`re right. I`ve seen them calling other`s names, demeaning,and insulting. Of course christians do this too. But my point is, I`ve seen atheist do it on a christian board. Why would they be on a christian board if they don`t care to pull others over to their side? Seems to me, atheism is sort of a religion. Eventhough they may not meet in a brick and mortal building.
I believe in an intelligent design or creator/God whatever label you want to put on it/him/her/other. But I don`t attend a church or follow some sort of manmade doctrine or set of rules. So ,I guess everyone who believes in God is not part of some religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I agree with this post. I have nothing against atheist. I`m not a church goer either. In fact, I believe God interacts very little if at all in our life. I do believe in God,though.. simply because an intelligent design seems to make the most sense to me. But I don`t adhere to any church or doctrine. I don`t take the bible literally. I see a lot of it as just stories written by ignorant men from along ago who didn`t understand the things around them. But I have seen atheist on christian forums arguing like crazy trying to prove they`re right. I`ve seen them calling other`s names, demeaning,and insulting. Of course christians do this too. But my point is, I`ve seen atheist do it on a christian board. Why would they be on a christian board if they don`t care to pull others over to their side? Seems to me, atheism is sort of a religion. Eventhough they may not meet in a brick and mortal building.
I believe in an intelligent design or creator/God whatever label you want to put on it/him/her/other. But I don`t attend a church or follow some sort of manmade doctrine or set of rules. So ,I guess everyone who believes in God is not part of some religion.
Oh, just wanted to add something. I`ve argued my points on forums in the past as well. But my views have changed a lot over the years. I`m at the point where I don`t really feel the need to argue fervently anymore. I just believe in a creator. Other than that...my mind is open to the what,when, how`s, and why`s.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:41 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,396 times
Quote:
I don't think I would call it a religion. To be a religion, I think there needs to a set of "rules" that all atheists follow. Now I do think an atheist can belong to a religion or simply be spiritual. I could even be considered an atheist. As I don't believe in a God or a deity and that is the definition of an atheist. If there is a God, cool. I have always wondered, what if we are all "gods" and we take this form to sort of experience things and humble ourselves. The absolute truth is that we don't absolutely know the truth. We have our beliefs, ideas, and these ideas resonate with some and not with others. That's why I have always found it funny when someone claims someone else is wrong in the case of religion and spirituality. If you are claiming someone is wrong, you should be able to prove it, if you can't then why even try? As we grow in our knowledge of how things work I think it is only logical that we adapt and integrate the new knowledge or change the old. Sometimes, certain discoveries flip what we once thought we knew right out the door, for instance when we discovered the earth was round and that we were not the center of the universe. Those two discoveries alone changed the way we thought and opened the door to more discoveries.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I don't think I would call it a religion. To be a religion, I think there needs to a set of "rules" that all atheists follow. Now I do think an atheist can belong to a religion or simply be spiritual. I could even be considered an atheist. As I don't believe in a God or a deity and that is the definition of an atheist. If there is a God, cool. I have always wondered, what if we are all "gods" and we take this form to sort of experience things and humble ourselves. The absolute truth is that we don't absolutely know the truth. We have our beliefs, ideas, and these ideas resonate with some and not with others. That's why I have always found it funny when someone claims someone else is wrong in the case of religion and spirituality. If you are claiming someone is wrong, you should be able to prove it, if you can't then why even try? As we grow in our knowledge of how things work I think it is only logical that we adapt and integrate the new knowledge or change the old. Sometimes, certain discoveries flip what we once thought we knew right out the door, for instance when we discovered the earth was round and that we were not the center of the universe. Those two discoveries alone changed the way we thought and opened the door to more discoveries.
Agreed. So everyone who believes in God is not part of some religion. I don`t adhere to any set of rules. But, just like atheist, a believer CAN belong to a religion, BUT not necessarily.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:41 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Awesome post NS, I really need to get to know another atheist in rl. I'm SOOOOOO alone!!!! I can't say I'm an atheist just yet but honestly it's looking that way. My head is still swimming and anyone who thinks this slide into disbelief is an easy one.....I'd like to get into THEIR head for even a minute.

I gotta share something......yesterday was Thanksgiving, right? Well let's just say the last 6 or 7 Thanksgivings have been sheety and I wasn't looking forward to another depressing ritual of 3 people going out to eat on what should be a day spent with loved ones in a house filled with the smell of turkey and candles. I miss all that with my Grands. That said, I almost started a thread about this night before last but it never happened...I just let it go because I didn't want to be disrespectful to believers.

I was concerned about the prayer......the inevitable prayer that has been a ritual for every single Thanksgiving for 47 of 48 years. I have family that joins hands before every meal and prays. Sorta nice as far as the hand-joining but why can't you join hands and go around and say what you're thankful for, but who are you thankful to? That's my question.........who am I thankful to? Well, guess what happened? The prayer got overlooked, and I didn't have to deal with it!! There apparently was too much going on and everyone forgot about the prayer until after we were eating for 5 or 10 minutes........it was bizarre that my Mother forgot to say the prayer, she's been doing it for the last 15 years or so.

My point is, is it divine intervention?
Hahaha, that's cute.

My mother always did a big prayer or got a BIL to do it, but this year I think she just got it through her head that not all her children believe in the same things she does, and she had everyone go around the table and say something they were thankful for.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:39 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
lol... Ilene..that`s a good point!
But it's not. Even when I was a Christian I never saw thanksgiving as a religious holiday or one meant to thank God. I've always seen it as a time to just be thankful for the things you have. Not really material "things" but for loved ones and such. Good fortune, all that jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahaha, that's cute.

My mother always did a big prayer or got a BIL to do it, but this year I think she just got it through her head that not all her children believe in the same things she does, and she had everyone go around the table and say something they were thankful for.
Yeah, they said a prayer around my thanksgiving table as well. I just bow my head, closemy eyes and listen. Life isn't a religious forum after all where everything is..... point.....counter point.

I tend to draw in my fangs once I leave the keyboard and enter the real world, that is, unless the situation calls for them.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:45 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Thanks Insane, I'm feeling really weird about the whole Thanksgiving thing. Ah corumba I know that's not the correct spelling but it's how I feel right now. Sheesh Louise have you ever seen Thelma and Louise?? That's how I'm feeling right now, like I wanna drive off a cliff!! I have no one to talk to in rl because I live in the deep south and everyone is on a different plane of existence, help me!!
You might be surprised to find that there are more non-Christians around than you think there are.

I live in the Houston area and we have a large contingent of atheists here.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You might be surprised to find that there are more non-Christians around than you think there are.

I live in the Houston area and we have a large contingent of atheists here.
'Jine the deconvertree'. Just be careful who's in the lift.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Thanks WhipperSnapper 88, I do have a lot to be thankful for but who am I thanking.....myself? I mean, let's get real here, when you're thankful who are you thanking?
Secular Seasons: Secular Celebrations & Humanist Ceremonies :: Graces & Invocations

Quote:
A classic humanist alternative to a Christian Grace is:

A Secular Grace:

For what we are about to receive
let us be truly thankful
…to those who planted the crops
…to those who cultivated the fields
…to those who gathered the harvest.

For what we are about to receive
let us be truly thankful
to those who prepared it and those who served it.

In this festivity let us remember too
those who have no festivity
those who cannot share this plenty
those whose lives are more affected than our own
by war, oppression and exploitation
those who are hungry, sick and cold

In sharing in this meal
let us be truly thankful
for the good things we have
for the warm hospitality
and for this good company.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:16 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times

Lack of belief in gods - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality