Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 04:31 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
So, hate and ignorance is fine as long as it isn't religious hate and ignorance? Religion isn't the problem hate and ignorance is the problem. You do realize that people can get religious about hating religion right?
The ignorance about religion is on the side of the religious, for they are unable or unwilling to recognize the hatred they impose on society, based on their bronze age ignorance.

If you choose to think that hate is an appropriate description for a growing threat to the future of this country, and the freedoms we enjoy, then so be it. Religious zealots are making a power play to impose their bronze age ignorance on this country daily.

Religion is a greater threat than foreign religious loons flying planes into buildings. Our most dangerous enemy is from within:

I am concerned for the security of our great nation, not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within. ~ General Douglas MacArthur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 04:57 PM

664 posts, read 855,426 times
Quote:
So, hate and ignorance is fine as long as it isn't religious hate and ignorance? Religion isn't the problem hate and ignorance is the problem. You do realize that people can get religious about hating religion right?

i feel what you're saying. i think it's the people's hearts that are messed up. it's not religion.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:02 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,182,695 times
Quote:
The things is...hatred and ignorance are cornerstones of religion. So it's in the interest of religion to cultivate hatred and ignorance.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:21 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branfan View Post
i feel what you're saying. i think it's the people's hearts that are messed up. it's not religion.
It's not their hearts, it's their mind.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
No, we do not have freedom of religion, or more accurately, freedom from religion. We atheists and non-religious have religion shoved down our throats, often on a daily basis.

For example, this time of year, I can't leave my apartment without hearing obviously Christian Christmas music blaring from the speakers at stores, on the radio, and even at (secular) universities.

The major Christian holidays (Christmas, Easter) are STATE and FEDERAL holidays, which basically amounts to a government endorsement of Christianity. Why doesn't the government recognize, for instance, Eid-al-Fitr or Rosh Hashanah? Because of religious bias.

People of various faiths get invited to university events, conferences, and talks to provide a "moral perspective," but atheists do not, as if atheists are somehow not qualified to speak on morality.

Workplaces provide the religious with their religious holidays off, while atheists get no such concession.

"God" is on our (United States) money and in our pledge of allegiance.

In my opinion, freedom from religion is every bit as important as freedom of religion. Spirituality / religiosity should be a personal and private matter, not something shouted from the rooftops or blared over loudspeakers. Your rights to practice your religion cannot interfere with my rights to be free from religion.
I say get over it. This is a Christian oriented society like it or not. The Christian Christmas music doesn't bother me in the skightest and is actually quite pleasant.. Neither does the fact that our money says "in God We Trust". Saying God in the pledge doesn't either. These are all non issues in my mind. Irrelevent to the real problems we face as citizens of this dark and dangerous world that stands so shakily on weak ground.

I always said that people who make big deals of these types of things out in the public eye need to seriously get a life and experience a real problem every now and then.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:31 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It's not their hearts, it's their mind.

But, GOD thereby still exists; though more and more people will stop believing in Him. Not Marxism but something more akin to Russel's views.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:53 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I say get over it. This is a Christian oriented society like it or not.
I am not a Christian, and according to the constitution, this is a secular nation. Why should I have someone else's beliefs forced upon me?

Quote:
The Christian Christmas music doesn't bother me in the skightest and is actually quite pleasant..
It drives me insane. I hate all Christmas music and Christmas in general, but I find that the religious overtones in some songs render them unacceptable for play in public, secular settings. How would religious people like it if stores played anti-theist music over the speakers?

Quote:
Neither does the fact that our money says "in God We Trust". Saying God in the pledge doesn't either.
I find it a sign of willful ignorance that our country would dedicate space on its money and pledge to an imaginary being. This is a secular society founded upon the principles of democracy, and religion has no place in the public sphere.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:57 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Well technically and legally we do, because spelled out in our constitution, the only authority by which we all must live, to which all our laws and statutes are designed, no laws can be passed which interfere with anyone's religious freedom or celebration. Of course if someone's religion involves breaking the law, such as killing someone or sexually abusing children, well, that is a different issue. But the premise is that we can all choose how to worship or not to worship.

That being said, my old lady says that I am a Hypocrite because I rail against the evils of organized religion throughout the year then go at Christmas season and sit quietly and enjoy myself at an episcopal mass (or whatever else I choose to attend). My response was that in America I have the right and freedom to be a hypocrite. (Of course that went over as well as anything I say around here ) ......

That being said, the bottom line here is that religious people and religious groups are the ones who have an issue with religious freedom whenever it does not benefit them. Kind of like the Banking industry seeking legislation against the credit union industry. Or the Ford dealer badmouthing Toyota. The Competition, the competative drive that keeps our nation going, extends to all levels of society. even religions. A church for example, that has empty seats and empty coffers will not stay in business long.
I have people every year saying "OH OH you can't go to A Christmas service because the Bible says so" Or some variation of that.
Of course, since I don't live by the bible, since I do not believe in it, it does not apply to me and I am not bound by it. PERHAPS This is true religous freedom...not being bound by someone elses doctrines or beliefs.

but it amazes me how the only people who would step up and try to influence someone elses religion are those who put religion over nation, who claim to be Christian first and American second. Something to which I cannot really relate but to each their own. These are the first people who have told me throughout life that America would be better off as a theocracy. Of course, they want themselves to be the head of said theocracy. SO anyway......

now if you will excuse me, I have to go get in the Toyota and get going....
Your hypocrisy really gets in the way of any message you try to convey. If you hate religion so much, don't go to Episcopal mass. Be consistent.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:16 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,966 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
I am not a Christian, and according to the constitution, this is a secular nation. Why should I have someone else's beliefs forced upon me?
No one is forcing anything on you. Are you being forced to live as a Christian?

Quote:
It drives me insane. I hate all Christmas music and Christmas in general,
Well bah-humbug!

Quote:
but I find that the religious overtones in some songs render them unacceptable for play in public, secular settings. How would religious people like it if stores played anti-theist music over the speakers?

If they wanted to play non religious music I would support their right to do so. Stores and radio stations are privately owned, so they can play whatever they wish. You should comment to your local stations and express to them your displeasure.

Quote:
I find it a sign of willful ignorance that our country would dedicate space on its money and pledge to an imaginary being. This is a secular society founded upon the principles of democracy, and religion has no place in the public sphere.
Agreed, but it's presence on our money isn't hurting a thing. Why worry about it? Non-issue.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:21 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The things is...hatred and ignorance are cornerstones of religion. So it's in the interest of religion to cultivate hatred and ignorance.
No hatred and ignorance are the cornerstone of civilized man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality