Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 06:19 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,683,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
They don't pick on MUSLIMS because they want their throat in one piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Another post from deep down the Ignorance Well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Evidently TroutDude forgot about the ones who did ridicule Islam and had bounties placed on them.

Maybe TroutDude is so young he wasn't alive yet.
Not the "Ignorance" Well TD...just "The Actual Way the World Really Is" Well.

I had a lot of fun with this thread a few years ago.
There had been other threads that I indirectly noted the "heavy and potentially violent backlash" issue:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/27690933-post54.html

I'm sure many Atheists that openly criticize, insult, file lawsuits against, and spend thousands of hours mocking Christians in the U.S. and other democratic societies...would never do that to the Muslims in their theocratic societies when they would have to do it at their great peril.
Though throughout history Theists have been willing to sacrifice their lives for nothing more than the embrace of their theological concepts (be thrown to lions, act as suicide bombers, etc), there is little to no cases of Atheists that have demonstrated that level of dedication to the embrace of Atheistic concepts.
I'm not saying whether this is good or bad, foolish or wise, or demonstrative of cowardice...but just noting that is the way it has played itself out so far.

You see it right here on this forum all the time...the way they refer to Yahweh as "Evil SkyDaddy", call Christ "Zombie Jesus", or label the Bible as the "Buy Bull", as well as constantly referring to Christians as "ignorant", "deluded", "believers in fairytales", etc...you would never see them go to Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan and talk the same way about Allah, Mohammed, and the Koran, and openly and publicly mock the Islamic faith that way.

Slamming Christianity in modern society carries almost no risk and costs little personal capital. Slamming Islam is another story...and they know it.
Especially if they slammed the Muslims in their home countries the same way they slam Christians: That would be a sure study in self-destruction.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:19 PM

37,177 posts, read 42,363,651 times
Mostly because the atheists you know live in a place that claims to be primarily Christian, have been raised to be Christian, or lived among Christians and have had to deal with it since they were born. Many have seen the Christian hypocricy up close and personal, been hurt by it, or may have been Christian themselves at one point.

I've never met a Muslim or been personally effected by one.

The facts may not work in your favor in this debate, but they are still facts. Nobody is attacking or picking on Christianity....they are REACTING to it.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:42 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,799,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Not the "Ignorance" Well TD...just "The Actual Way the World Really Is" Well.

I had a lot of fun with this thread a few years ago.
There had been other threads that I indirectly noted the "heavy and potentially violent backlash" issue:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/27690933-post54.html

I'm sure many Atheists that openly criticize, insult, file lawsuits against, and spend thousands of hours mocking Christians in the U.S. and other democratic societies...would never do that to the Muslims in their theocratic societies when they would have to do it at their great peril.
Though throughout history Theists have been willing to sacrifice their lives for nothing more than the embrace of their theological concepts (be thrown to lions, act as suicide bombers, etc), there is little to no cases of Atheists that have demonstrated that level of dedication to the embrace of Atheistic concepts.
I'm not saying whether this is good or bad, foolish or wise, or demonstrative of cowardice...but just noting that is the way it has played itself out so far.

You see it right here on this forum all the time...the way they refer to Yahweh as "Evil SkyDaddy", call Christ "Zombie Jesus", or label the Bible as the "Buy Bull", as well as constantly referring to Christians as "ignorant", "deluded", "believers in fairytales", etc...you would never see them go to Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan and talk the same way about Allah, Mohammed, and the Koran, and openly and publicly mock the Islamic faith that way.

Slamming Christianity in modern society carries almost no risk and costs little personal capital. Slamming Islam is another story...and they know it.
Especially if they slammed the Muslims in their home countries the same way they slam Christians: That would be a sure study in self-destruction.
Sure, and there are some brave souls who are trying to change their own cultures the way the Rennaisance and Enlightenment changed Christianity. There have been and are now people who have been willing to risk their lives for the freedom not to believe, and not all of them have been Atheists.

To be honest if I were treated the same by Muslims as I am by Christians, I would have a similar reaction. I do cut people a lot of slack if they are from a different culture, because things are just different, but in America it isn't the Muslims who are trying to legislate their beliefs (in general), and those that do get the same opposition as any other religion would from me. I have no use for violent, divisive, and discriminatory religion, no matter whose it is.

Sure I wouldn't make a fuss in Saudi, to be honest I don't think I could be there very long, the culture is so foreign to me. I would just leave... But if it were my home, my culture, maybe I would feel differently. If I was in danger of my life here because of my doubt, it could go either way. I might try to fly under the radar, or I might end up trying to make a stand. It is true that I don't have the promise of virgins or an eternity in mansions of gold to motivate me to kill or die for my lack of belief, only the strength of my convictions...

-NoCapo

Old 05-16-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Sure, and there are some brave souls who are trying to change their own cultures the way the Rennaisance and Enlightenment changed Christianity. There have been and are now people who have been willing to risk their lives for the freedom not to believe, and not all of them have been Atheists.

To be honest if I were treated the same by Muslims as I am by Christians, I would have a similar reaction. I do cut people a lot of slack if they are from a different culture, because things are just different, but in America it isn't the Muslims who are trying to legislate their beliefs (in general), and those that do get the same opposition as any other religion would from me. I have no use for violent, divisive, and discriminatory religion, no matter whose it is.

Sure I wouldn't make a fuss in Saudi, to be honest I don't think I could be there very long, the culture is so foreign to me. I would just leave... But if it were my home, my culture, maybe I would feel differently. If I was in danger of my life here because of my doubt, it could go either way. I might try to fly under the radar, or I might end up trying to make a stand. It is true that I don't have the promise of virgins or an eternity in mansions of gold to motivate me to kill or die for my lack of belief, only the strength of my convictions...
-NoCapo
I've said before that "virgins for eternity" and "gold paved streets and mansions" are a great "selling point"...props to whoever thought that stuff up!

But seriously...unless one lives with blinders on, or doesn't care what happens to others outside their borders...the theology that has been putting out the biggest dose of REAL harm (BY FAR) recently, is Islam.
The Christians may be annoying, even rude to the point of cruel (IE: The Westboro Bap Crew), but little real violence or killing is done by Christians nowadays. OTOH...the Muslim Fundies chalk up some horrible violent incident or oppressive act somewhere every time you turn around. There are a bunch right now...like the kidnapped girls and killings of those that practice other beliefs. Too many to count. Christian "harm and killing" pales in comparison...MOF it is almost nonexistent. The Atheists on this board have to resort to complaining about door-to-door proselytizers, or Young Earth Creationists denying evolution, "bothering" them, to find something to get on the case of Christians for...and they go on forever about it...seemingly oblivious as to how the world REALLY is.

Heck, the Russian government has passed laws against "Homosexual Propaganda" for the ENTIRE country, and LGBT discrimination is fully legal...homosexuality is punishable by DEATH under the Islamic Sharia Law...yet the Atheists on this board go on and on about a few Evangelical Christians opposing same-sex marriage like it was the worst bias against homos that exists on the planet.

It IS true that Atheist have it in for the Christians...no doubt about it.
But I understand it. I noted it back when this thread was hot in 2011. Christianity is the ALPHA theological concept...the CHAMPION of religions. Everyone wants a piece of THE CHAMP...especially when you are as much a "nuthin' concept" as you are the "Concept of Nuthin'", like Atheism is. So...it figures.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:18 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,150,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Heck, the Russian government has passed laws against "Homosexual Propaganda" for the ENTIRE country, and LGBT discrimination is fully legal...homosexuality is punishable by DEATH under the Islamic Sharia Law...yet the Atheists on this board go on and on about a few Evangelical Christians opposing same-sex marriage like it was the worst bias against homos that exists on the planet.
To borrow the phrase with a few editions: Render on to idiots that which is the purview of idiots. In other word, while American atheist can and do criticize the absurdist anti-human rights agenda of Putin's Russian, Uganda, and all the others deniers of basic human rights in other countries and lend what moral support that we can, American atheist are a bit more concerned about what happens in the United States.

Quote:
It IS true that Atheist have it in for the Christians...no doubt about it.
But I understand it. I noted it back when this thread was hot in 2011. Christianity is the ALPHA theological concept...the CHAMPION of religions. Everyone wants a piece of THE CHAMP...especially when you are as much a "nuthin' concept" as you are the "Concept of Nuthin'", like Atheism is. So...it figures.
Christianity is the alpha theology, how freaking anti-Christian is that, which is one of the fundamental reasons that Atheist find evangelical Christianity so repulsive. We don't tend to be vocal about Buddhist, Shinto, Zoroastrians, Hindus, or any other minority theist IN THE UNITED STATES because they as of yet have for the most part minded their own business and have for the most part found a way to keep their anti-human rights, holy scriptures to their selves. So when Christians learn to keep their 3rd century goat herding theology sequestered to their churches and places of worship we Atheist will step-back into what is suppose to be our secular society and go about our day to day atheistic lives without feeling a need to keep the Alpha religion in check.

Have a nice day.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:24 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,495,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
It seems like atheist only target Christians and Christianity, and very seldom any other religions, which share similar beliefs. When atheists usually post billboards and other non-belief or "myth" stuff, it mainly includes Christianity, and during the Christmas/Holiday season, it targets Christmas. Why are they afraid to post "myth" stuff about Judaism and Islam?
They aren't.

Your perception about atheists only "targeting" Christians is 100% wrong. In fact, most of the so-called "new atheists" are extremely hostile to Islam. The is particularly true of Sam Harris and the late Christopher Hitchens. Both of these men are so intensely hostile to Islam they have been described as "the intellectual wing of the War on Terror."

Here's just one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDMOxjHIt0U

Old 05-16-2014, 10:32 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,150,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
They aren't.
If I may be so bold, if you think that atheist find Christianity idiotic, I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't think that we would find Islam to be anything but the height of theological absurdity.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:46 PM

11,652 posts, read 13,038,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Where do YOU live?

In Canada, I've had many, many encounters with Jehovah Witnesses and a couple with Mormons but nada/zero/zilch from Jews, Muslims, Hindus et al.

Nor have I known anyone who has. (And I'm living with a Jewish woman. Neither her, nor any of her relatives has tried to turn this goy.)
I live in Australia. I've had Mormons/Jehovah's on my door, but that was back in the early 2000s - this fad died out ever since. I don't consider them to be 'Christians' (at least, I never did). I've always seen them as cults that diverged or 'evolved' out of Christianity, like the Westboro Baptists and such.

Of course you wouldn't have encounters with Jews and Muslims as they're the minority here. And I was talking in global perspective - The poster I was replying to made it seem like Christians only do it in the world, when Muslims can be the worst offenders if you look outside the western world. That was my point.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
To borrow the phrase with a few editions: Render on to idiots that which is the purview of idiots. In other word, while American atheist can and do criticize the absurdist anti-human rights agenda of Putin's Russian, Uganda, and all the others deniers of basic human rights in other countries and lend what moral support that we can, American atheist are a bit more concerned about what happens in the United States.
As far as real HARM by Christians (being "bothered" and differences of opinion isn't "harm") in the U.S...there really isn't any.
You want widespread nationwide "harm" happening to be concerned about? Then forget religion...try the tobacco industry.

Quote:
Christianity is the alpha theology, how freaking anti-Christian is that, which is one of the fundamental reasons that Atheist find evangelical Christianity so repulsive. We don't tend to be vocal about Buddhist, Shinto, Zoroastrians, Hindus, or any other minority theist IN THE UNITED STATES because they as of yet have for the most part minded their own business and have for the most part found a way to keep their anti-human rights, holy scriptures to their selves. So when Christians learn to keep their 3rd century goat herding theology sequestered to their churches and places of worship we Atheist will step-back into what is suppose to be our secular society and go about our day to day atheistic lives without feeling a need to keep the Alpha religion in check.

Have a nice day.
Christianity IS the "alpha" theology. Is it not?
I'm not at all religious...so I am not analyzing it from some doctrine standpoint. I'm just stating the facts on the ground as to how the world really is.
I was Atheist for all my adult life up until a few years ago...now I'm generic Theist. No religion or hocus-pocus added.
People will want things to be the way they want it...that is just human nature. Just like you have noted how you would like it to be.
This country is 80% Christian...and it is a democratic republic that functions by the vote of the people and/or their reps...so it is a given that the heavy Christian representation will have great influence.
The society is only "supposed to be secular" based upon what is written in the government documents. You can thank the guys that wrote those documents for promoting Christianity harder than McDonalds pushes its fast-food, that it is so heavily Christian. THEY did it. And every other administration followed suit...including the present. The "separation" concept sees about as much adherence as the prohibition of booze concept did. The worst offenders are the government officials. Did you see the last Presidential Inauguration? It was pretty much a full blown religious ceremony...Christian ceremony, that is.
Christianity, or any religion, is just a concept...it needs people to endorse and promote it for it to have power and influence. People do...so it does. More so than any other elective concept know to man. That is just the way it is. On the other hand...Atheism has little acceptance and less influence...well, except to get its adherents viewed as 'The Most Hated". Atheists and non-religious aren't about to keep religion "in check". They may as well try make the tide stop going in and out. That is also, just the way it is. I didn't make it that way...and it probably isn't gonna change any time soon...so, I just accept reality, and don't mess myself up by spitting into strong winds.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:00 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,495,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If I may be so bold, if you think that atheist find Christianity idiotic, I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't think that we would find Islam to be anything but the height of theological absurdity.
If I may be so bold, I am an atheist. So yeah, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.