Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,997 times

Advertisements

Religious belief provided a cultural matrix ( womb) for the growth of Science! This will be the theme of this thread.

Modern experimental Science was rendered possible as a result of the religious philosophical atmosphere of the middle ages. Although a talent for Science was present in the ancient world, the philosophical and psychological climate was hostile to self-sustaining scientific process. Thus science suffered " Still births" in the cultures of ancient China, India, Egypt and Babylonia. It failed to come to fruitition amoung the Maya, Incas and Aztecs of the Americas.

And I will show that Science took its full born birth in the church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 11:13 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
We'll see......

Please proceed to prove your assertion.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
How nice it is that many of us have moved on from religion to science. Science did not gain much of a foothold until first the Renaissance and then the Age of Reason, when the grip of religion relaxed somewhat. In the Middle Ages, with the divine right of kings and the feudal society which was completely undemocratic, religion held sway.

By all means, give evidence for your assertion, Mickiel.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:40 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Mickiel, starting multiple threads with the same theme is not going to make your case any stronger.

The church and aristocracy were the privileged few that had access to learning and libraries. Perhaps some Einstein's slipped though the cracks in the dark ages but we shall never know.

It is only with the advent of mass literacy, science was able to embrace more folk than the typical religiously/wealthy affiliated. To what degree the church suppressed science that contradicted their archaic beliefs, we only know of a few instances like Galileo.

They still cannot dismiss their holy book as that is key to their survival so they accommodate that which is not a huge threat and reject that which is.

We pretty much know virgin births are impossible so that aspect remains as an appeal to magic. We know people cannot come back from the dead and that too is an appeal to magic.

If science is the logical continuance of reason, it stands to reason that which came before and can be refuted should be dismissed. Even the bible prophesies that knowledge shall increase but that is not really a prophesy, merely an observation which holds true today. I know more now than my parents did at the same age. My parents never went overseas, I did, my sister did, my brother did. Horizons expand.

The church is not conducive to change and wants to impose thinking of 2000+ years ago as still being valid. So far the church has the worst record when it comes to morality seeing we had the inquisition and witch trials, stuff we no longer tolerate in the modern world.

The world of science opened up many avenues of discovery where the church essentially repressed them. If mass literacy happened 400 years earlier, likely we would have developed sooner and would be further along.

After the discovery of the wheel, transportation took a real long time before steam locomotion became a reality. Boiling water had been around for a long time. When a person's horizons can be managed to a small area, then the risk of knowledge surpassing religious belief could be managed; as soon as that went, so too began the demise of religion and its power to control. Folk went to Africa, China and India and saw different cultures vastly different from what Europe knew. Spices, tobacco and other things were discovered previously foreign to Europeans. Out of this obviously came the concept there were other world views different to christianity. The Chinese had a mechanical clock long before the Swiss "invented" it.

Science and religion are not bedfellows and never will be.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:17 AM

The Religious belief in the creator allowed a breakthrough in thinking about nature. Only a truly transcendental creator could be thought of as being powerful enough to create a nature with autonomous laws without his power over nature being thereby diminished. Once the basic amoung these laws were formulated science could develop on its own terms.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:44 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
The Religious belief in the creator allowed a breakthrough in thinking about nature. Only a truly transcendental creator could be thought of as being powerful enough to create a nature with autonomous laws without his power over nature being thereby diminished. Once the basic amoung these laws were formulated science could develop on its own terms.
In order to avoid being seen as a troll, you're going to have to offer some real, impartial proof pretty quickly. So far, you seem to want everybody to believe that all the good in the world happened and happens because of your religion, just because you say it is so.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:05 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Religious belief provided a cultural matrix ( womb) for the growth of Science! This will be the theme of this thread.

Modern experimental Science was rendered possible as a result of the religious philosophical atmosphere of the middle ages. Although a talent for Science was present in the ancient world, the philosophical and psychological climate was hostile to self-sustaining scientific process. Thus science suffered " Still births" in the cultures of ancient China, India, Egypt and Babylonia. It failed to come to fruitition amoung the Maya, Incas and Aztecs of the Americas.

And I will show that Science took its full born birth in the church.
Give it up. You have tried this theme time and again and have failed to convince anyone but your self.

Forms of science existed prior to your religions.

Perhaps if you actually practiced what your "religion" teaches (inclusiveness, compassion and respect of others) you would have a bit of success. Your methods only lead to rejection of your thoughts and you.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In order to avoid being seen as a troll, you're going to have to offer some real, impartial proof pretty quickly. So far, you seem to want everybody to believe that all the good in the world happened and happens because of your religion, just because you say it is so.

I don't have a religion, I am not a religious man; I walk alone in my belief. I am simply stating history as it unfolded. Perhaps your just uncomfortable with the history. I have never seen anyone actually try to rush me in a thread; just be patient with threads; trolling reveals itself rather quickly and is obvious;

As is the aqusation of it.

I find this history rather unique, and if its alright with you, can I take my time with it? I will offer plenty of proof. All the good in the world certainly does not come from just religion, I would never say that because its simply not true. So your right about that.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:18 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Post 1, OP. Post 2, pam says proceed to prove ... Post 3, cat says give evidence ... Post 4, Seeker says science and religion are not bedfellows. Post 5 OP back with no proof or evidence. Post 6 impartial proof requested. Post 7 Arjay said give it up. And then, we get to post 8:

Quote:
I don't have a religion, I am not a religious man; I walk alone in my belief. I am simply stating history as it unfolded. Perhaps your just uncomfortable with the history. I have never seen anyone actually try to rush me in a thread; just be patient with threads; trolling reveals itself rather quickly and is obvious;

I find this history rather unique, and if its alright with you, can I take my time with it? I will offer plenty of proof. All the good in the world certainly does not come from just religion, I would never say that because its simply not true. So your right about that.
The prophecy of trolling is demonstrated!

Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Quote:

Which history is "this" history?

I don't see anyone trying to rush you. We just ask for proof of your claims. It's a reasonable request.

If you persist in your mystical, all will be revealed to you in time attitude you're doing nothing but ruining any shred of credibility you may have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality